The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The workers Ľ Ľ Hand Rubbing (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Iím not talking about rubbing your hands together in the normal act of social conversation or warming them up after walking in from balmy weather. I am talking about rubbing your hands together like a greedy undertaker before you begin an effect or repeatedly brushing off your close up pad numerous times before you begin like itís matted with lint and hair even though itís spotless.

I watch a lot of magic vids and I see this more and more often. Lay out four coins for matrix, rub your hands together. Suspiciously lay down a few cards, rub your hands together. Take out a deck of cards, brush away invisible clumps of hair from your pad or table, and them rub your hands together. Rubbing. Rubbing. It looks so greedy and shady.

Now before people go hating on me, let me say that hand rubbing, as opposed to handwashing, is sometimes good for misdirection. It can also, as implied, warm up and moisten your hands, which is fine. And yes, sometimes there is a hair or piece of lint that needs to be wiped away in order to have a nice clean performing surface.

But in my opinion, the hand rubbing and wiping away of woofle dust has gotten to the point of being a unnecessary prerequisite before beginning a trick. Itís like saying ó ďGet ready! Iím about to fool you with my sneaky craftiness!Ē

To me, the constant rubbing of hands like the greedy undertaker and constantly brushing away invisible nothings is a distraction and looks ridiculous. I could very well be over analyzing this, but I see it so often now it has sadly become a cliched indicator of many vids that scream to the audience ďOkay, here comes something sneaky!Ē

Your not Mister Miyagi repairing Danielsonís swept leg. Your not waiting for an unpleasant relative to die to inherit their massive fortune. You did not just win the lottery and are about to be handed over a massive check. You are not a 12th level cleaning maid charged with removing every tiny piece of microscopic lint that floats down from the air every few seconds. And mostly, none of this NEEDS to be done SECONDS before you begin your performance. How bout this ó have a clean close up mat and warmed up hands BEFORE you begin. Revelation?

Iíve seen literally thousands of magic vids over the last 30 years. I never saw this trend until recently. Now I see it ALL the time, especially for table work. Everyone seems to be copying everyone else and the unsightly trend seems to have become commonplace. I suppose the silent aspect of many Instagram and YouTube vids assume this is the ďlet us beginĒ signal. I however find it to be unprofessional, foolish looking, and just plain eye-rolling insulting to all those watching. Does anyone else notice this or feel this way?
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
681 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Meh...sometimes itís just to subtly show the hands are empty. And I can totally imagine a character that hand rubs as part of his shtick.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
I have not noticed this phenomenon, but the idea of it doesnít bother me as long as itís planned choreography and not just a nervous habit. I can think of a few ways it makes a strong statement about your character. Maybe in practice itís more grating though. Got any example videos to link?
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
I agree with both points. No, I canít directly link to most of what I see on Instagram, and I also donít want to point fingers at other performers. It may be their schtick, but I more often see it as a nervous habit, and if it is schtick, maybe all the newcomers shouldnít be doing it. I myself use the brushing of the close-up pad during my invisible palm routine, but itís Only once and choreographed into my actions and patter. I too often see itís done before performance, during performance, and at the end. Iíll try to find an example with out picking on anyone with my opinion. Or I bet a few minutes on YouTube or looking under the tag card magic on IG, Iím sure youíll see what Iím talking about. Again, I could be over analyzing and I certainly see way more magic than the average layperson, but itís become an annoying pet peeve of mine. I just think it looks unprofessional and wondering if it was just me. I understand it can certainly be a subtle way of showing your hands are empty, but I can hand wash while rubbing my hands together while still holding out. I think itís much more natural just to show them empty in a gesture rather than look like Igor or Renfield trying to please his master.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5170 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, fingerjack wrote:
Iím not talking about rubbing your hands together in the normal act of social conversation or warming them up after walking in from balmy weather. I am talking about rubbing your hands together like a greedy undertaker before you begin an effect or repeatedly brushing off your close up pad numerous times before you begin like itís matted with lint and hair even though itís spotless.

I watch a lot of magic vids and I see this more and more often. Lay out four coins for matrix, rub your hands together. Suspiciously lay down a few cards, rub your hands together. Take out a deck of cards, brush away invisible clumps of hair from your pad or table, and them rub your hands together. Rubbing. Rubbing. It looks so greedy and shady.

Now before people go hating on me, let me say that hand rubbing, as opposed to handwashing, is sometimes good for misdirection. It can also, as implied, warm up and moisten your hands, which is fine. And yes, sometimes there is a hair or piece of lint that needs to be wiped away in order to have a nice clean performing surface.

But in my opinion, the hand rubbing and wiping away of woofle dust has gotten to the point of being a unnecessary prerequisite before beginning a trick. Itís like saying ó ďGet ready! Iím about to fool you with my sneaky craftiness!Ē

To me, the constant rubbing of hands like the greedy undertaker and constantly brushing away invisible nothings is a distraction and looks ridiculous. I could very well be over analyzing this, but I see it so often now it has sadly become a cliched indicator of many vids that scream to the audience ďOkay, here comes something sneaky!Ē

Your not Mister Miyagi repairing Danielsonís swept leg. Your not waiting for an unpleasant relative to die to inherit their massive fortune. You did not just win the lottery and are about to be handed over a massive check. You are not a 12th level cleaning maid charged with removing every tiny piece of microscopic lint that floats down from the air every few seconds. And mostly, none of this NEEDS to be done SECONDS before you begin your performance. How bout this ó have a clean close up mat and warmed up hands BEFORE you begin. Revelation?

Iíve seen literally thousands of magic vids over the last 30 years. I never saw this trend until recently. Now I see it ALL the time, especially for table work. Everyone seems to be copying everyone else and the unsightly trend seems to have become commonplace. I suppose the silent aspect of many Instagram and YouTube vids assume this is the ďlet us beginĒ signal. I however find it to be unprofessional, foolish looking, and just plain eye-rolling insulting to all those watching. Does anyone else notice this or feel this way?

Thousands of vids?
How many actual magic performances?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1332 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I see it a lot as well. I liken it to the seeming obsession with riffling/"squaring" cards constantly. Fidgety behavior.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Thousands of vids?
How many actual magic performances?


Do you mean actual live performances? Videos of live performances? How many times I have seen this live? How many times I have seen this on video? Iím not sure I understand your question. If itís how often I see this in a live performance, the answer is not very often because I do not see many live performances any more. I do see quite a bit on videos OF live performances, but the majority of when I see this action is when the performer is solo with the camera. And Iím not sure what your question is about thousands of vids? Yes literally thousands. Heck, I scroll through Instagram and in one day itís it least 25, thatís 175 in ne week right there.. I worked in a magic store for five years, and have quite a collection of my own. Add in YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and others over the years I would reckon even closer to 5,000, and thatís being conservative.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
I see it a lot as well. I liken it to the seeming obsession with riffling/"squaring" cards constantly. Fidgety behavior.


Yes, thatís exactly what itís like. The performer who can never stop rifflng the cards without realizing how annoying and distracting it can be.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
701 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
In most studies of nonverbal behavior, rubbing the hands quickly typically means that you anticipate something good or favorable about to occur, whereas rubbing them slowly is usually a sign that you're unsure of an outcome or a potential situation is/will be unfavorable for you. Perhaps it's nervousness, maybe it's scripted, but either way it's communicating something to the audience. I suppose it would depend on whether or not the hand rubbing strengthens the effect or is merely a distraction to the audience.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5170 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, fingerjack wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Thousands of vids?
How many actual magic performances?


Do you mean actual live performances? Videos of live performances? How many times I have seen this live? How many times I have seen this on video? Iím not sure I understand your question. If itís how often I see this in a live performance, the answer is not very often because I do not see many live performances any more. I do see quite a bit on videos OF live performances, but the majority of when I see this action is when the performer is solo with the camera. And Iím not sure what your question is about thousands of vids? Yes literally thousands. Heck, I scroll through Instagram and in one day itís it least 25, thatís 175 in ne week right there.. I worked in a magic store for five years, and have quite a collection of my own. Add in YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and others over the years I would reckon even closer to 5,000, and thatís being conservative.

Do you think it is a coincidence that you see it infrequently while watching actual performances for real people and frequently when watching someone doing something for a webcam?
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
No, I donít believe itís a coincidence at all considering about 85% of the magic I have seen has been on video. I would need to see another few thousand recent live recent live performances in order to honestly judge. Iím simply going by the trend that I see. I mean I never see cooks do it, nor painters, nor sculptors, not jugglers...in fact, I don't see anyone do it except for obvious reasons unrelated to this discussion. If you went to see a comic and he started out a joke, and then rubbed his hands greedily before giving the punchline, you would find it rather odd. If he did it over and over, I would find it annoying unless it was part of his character. I see what youíre saying; that the ratio of video to live performances are different, and so is the arena. My point simply was it doesnít seem necessary and I donít understand what the point is ó And how much lint are we actually going to see on a close up pad being shot through a low-res WebCam?
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1307 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Ha! It drives me crazy too. Glad I'm not the only one. I saw a clip recently and actually stopped the video after the 3rd brush of imaginary lint off of the mat. Wierd stuff.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Ha! It drives me crazy too. Glad I'm not the only one. I saw a clip recently and actually stopped the video after the 3rd brush of imaginary lint off of the mat. Wierd stuff.

Yes. I knew it wasnít just me. I scrolled through Instagram last night and 3 out of 5 vids had both of these nonsense gestures. It is a strange fad indeed. For whatever reason, Magicfish hasnít noticed this although itís becoming more and more prevalent as people use the Internet as their only source of learning. Monkey see, monkey do. If you are one of these performers, I ask with sincerity what your motivation is and consider how it looks. Sure we all have different opinions, but to me it just looks amateurish, silly, and outright ridiculous. Itís okay to call me a nitpicking troll, but the moment I see it, usually within ten seconds, I just move on.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5170 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2017, fingerjack wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Ha! It drives me crazy too. Glad I'm not the only one. I saw a clip recently and actually stopped the video after the 3rd brush of imaginary lint off of the mat. Wierd stuff.

Yes. I knew it wasnít just me. I scrolled through Instagram last night and 3 out of 5 vids had both of these nonsense gestures. It is a strange fad indeed. For whatever reason, Magicfish hasnít noticed this although itís becoming more and more prevalent as people use the Internet as their only source of learning. Monkey see, monkey do. If you are one of these performers, I ask with sincerity what your motivation is and consider how it looks. Sure we all have different opinions, but to me it just looks amateurish, silly, and outright ridiculous. Itís okay to call me a nitpicking troll, but the moment I see it, usually within ten seconds, I just move on.

Please cut and paste where I said I haven't noticed it.
Thanks.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2017, fingerjack wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Ha! It drives me crazy too. Glad I'm not the only one. I saw a clip recently and actually stopped the video after the 3rd brush of imaginary lint off of the mat. Wierd stuff.

Yes. I knew it wasnít just me. I scrolled through Instagram last night and 3 out of 5 vids had both of these nonsense gestures. It is a strange fad indeed. For whatever reason, Magicfish hasnít noticed this although itís becoming more and more prevalent as people use the Internet as their only source of learning. Monkey see, monkey do. If you are one of these performers, I ask with sincerity what your motivation is and consider how it looks. Sure we all have different opinions, but to me it just looks amateurish, silly, and outright ridiculous. Itís okay to call me a nitpicking troll, but the moment I see it, usually within ten seconds, I just move on.

Please cut and paste where I said I haven't noticed it.
Thanks.


I canít. You have not specifically said so. I also canít see where you said you HAVE noticed it. In fact, you havenít said either way, only questioned my observations and wondered if my observations were just coincidences or I was just exaggerating. That leads me to believe you have NOT noticed, as others have plainly said they had ó hence a discussion. You chose not to answer and only question me. Thatís fine. My bad. If I had to take an educated guess on your replies, it would be that you have NOT noticed it. Apologies. Hard to understand your thoughts and meaning when you only have questions for me that appear somewhat cryptic and you are obviously doubtful of my claims (ďthousands of vids?Ē). Actually, after thinking about it, even ďthousandsĒ is an understatement. Why that is so hard for you to believe Iím not sure.

My original question was if anyone else had noticed this. It was a rather simple question. You never gave an answer. I was wrong to assume your stance even though you gave strong indication you had not noticed. Sorry. It didnít seem like you are very much interested in discussion, just debunking. Thatís fine.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5170 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Please cut and paste where I said or implied in any way that you were exaggerating.
Thanks.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5170 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Seems you're jumping to all kinds of conclusions here.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5170 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I am not in any way "doubtful of your claims".
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1834 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I agree with those who see it as a fidget action like squaring cards or riffling. I see those three actions too much. So much fidgeting!
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
548 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Please cut and paste where I said or implied in any way that you were exaggerating.
Thanks.


Cut and pasted per your request.

"Thousands of vids?"

What am I to make of this question? You asked this after quoting my entire post/observation/question. It's not even relevant. I didn't mean cat vids or comedy skits. If I am not to interpret this as sarcasm or being doubtful of my claim (which was not even the topic), please tell me how else I am to interpret it, why you asked, and why you haven't really contributed anything to this discussion (unlike the others) except to ask me questions. I still don't even know your stance because for whatever reason, you still haven't said. I'm not trying to be rude or argue. Just truly wondering.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The workers Ľ Ľ Hand Rubbing (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL