The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storage In Cold / Hot Attic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I’m in a new house, and we have a walk in attic with good storage space. I have always stored things in a temperature controlled environment. I’m wondering what effect the attic will have on props? Are some things okay in an attic, while other things are too fragile? Any experience or criteria for what will be okay in an attic would be appreciated.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
theocreswell
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
61 Posts

Profile of theocreswell
Hi,

This question is going to vary [b]loads[/b/] depending on what props you are talking about. I feel like temperature isn't going to be as much of an issue compared to humidity levels. for instance - if your attic is too humid you are going to have problems storing cards and stuff like that.

What kinds of conditions are you talking about and what kinds of props?

Generally, I think you should be alright - just be aware of what you're putting up there and use common sense!

-T
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
So, I would love to put a lot of my stuff up there, but I’m wondering if anyone has lost particular items because of their attic. I don’t have too much humidity to worry about. The attic is ventilated and a fan is on a temperature gauge. I’m thinking I can put sound gear up there, my backdrop, etc. I’m questioning things like a Wiz Kote Machine, or a floating table. I’m thinking things that have thin fabric, silks, or soft rubber (multiplying balls), are probably too fragile to withstand the temperature changes. Maybe this is common sense... Anyone storing things like this and good with the results?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
I live in NC as well and would caution you about certain items. Rubber and some fragile fabrics such as silk can degrade with the heat. Certainly sponge and foam items are not advised. I'd be careful with the floating table but sturdier props like the Wiz Kote might be okay. Packing items loosely so air can circulate freely will help. Oh and make sure there are no old balloons left in cases or bags as they will create a sticky mess in short order.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do not put any plastic, wood, metal, paper, cardboard, painted props, in a house attic.

If you need specific item, then turn your kitchen oven on to 300 degrees, then place you magic prop in the oven for a month. At the end of that time, take it out, is it still in the same condition as when you put it in. I don't think so.

Same goes for the winter months.

Unless an item is built with special paints and materials to withstand extreme temperatures, it would be foolish to do so.

I have seen many priceless props turned to trash, because the wife wanted the magic junk out of HER house.

Tell the wife, I will lock you in the attic for a month, and then let you out, see what condition she will be in when you unlock the door.

I suggest you rent a climate controlled storage space at one of the rental storage companies.

Of course once you store it away, you will never unpack it again, so the real thing to do is sell it all, and recover some your investment.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
This doesn't answer your question but perhaps it will give you some ideas.
I just moved permanently to my summer home in the mountains in New York State.
I have a full basement that was very humid in the summer. Anything that was kept there was ruined. Also moldy.
I got rid of the mold and I bought a good dehumidifier.
Right now the outdoor temp is 5F.
My basement is consistently 62 and the humidity is 25%. (The furnace keeps the basement warm and the dehumidifier isn't needed in the winter.)
In the summertime the temperature is 65F and 50% hum.
I keep all my magic stuff including cards in the basement.
I even made a wine cellar in the basement.
So far so good.
I'll let you all know if there are any problems as time goes on.

I also have a workshop with my tools and my seasonal clothes stored there and boxes of unused electronic equipment.
If the dehumidifier stops working, I'll have to run out and buy another one.
Ihor
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My parents had remodeled their basement, and installed a dehumidifier. After their passing, we thought of selling the 1940's wood furniture, they had in the basement. It was great carved fine wood furniture.

Upon picking up a coffee table, the carving crumbled, dry rot had destroyed the wood.

The only thing I found that will help preserve magic props is plastic sealable bags. It closes out the climate conditions. Larger props may be best sealed in those vacuum cloths bags and remove the air from the bags.

I once took some magic to sell at Abbott's, had everything in sealed plastic bags with the air pushed out. The day was very hot, and upon arriving, was worried that the card effects may be spoiled. I has seen some moisture in a bag I had out. I quickly checked the box of tricks. To my surprise everything was in perfect condition. Some cards bags were bent, but when opened the cards were perfectly straight.

I am speaking from my experiences.

A magic dealer has put all his prized magic in the attic, he thought he would sell props. When taking them down, the paint had all pealed and any rubber items had melted together. A prized Hamilton JoAnn the Duck was totally turned to junk. It was up in the attic for over 30 years.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I lost a complete run of Genii from #1 on, all my posters storing them in a garage over the summer.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storage In Cold / Hot Attic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL