The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings Earthlings (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of TheCosmicTruth
Wondering If anyone was into magic in the Long Beach area around 1966, I attended classes their around that time, now I'm old and am trying to retrace my roots. I'm getting back into magic more now as I retire from my usual vocation. And thought it might be cool to meet up with some of my old friends. I've forgotten many of the tricks I learned except a couple stuck with me. Now as a returning hobbyist I try to make someone smile each day and it seems to be working great. I wish I could remember all the moves to the cups and balls, but I'm afraid my cogs don't cognate enough to remember that far back.
Let me Know
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome, TheCosmicTruth,

Sorry, I can't help you but the Café is a great place to meet new friends.

If you've been out of Magic for a while, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to find learning materials.

You should check out L&L, World's Greatest Magic, Cups and Balls series. If you wait till you've made 50 posts, you may be able to buy them here. (You probably just read the posting rules before joining).

Good luck finding your Friends! Try an Advanced Search for Long Beach in "Our New Arrivals" and see if any of the post look like someone you might know.

-Mary Mowder
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Post #2 of 50
Thanks for the warm welcome Smile
So I take it I don't get a free 48 posts for being an alien? Or even for being old? What about being an old alien?
Oh well, give me a link to the Cups and Balls series, I have some cups, I might be able to get some balls, and if I can re-figure out the moves then look out world another trick.
Some tricks like french drop and stretching rope, cut-restored rope stuck with me all these years, I don't think I could forget them if I tried. My new goal in life is try to make someone smile everyday, be it a stupid joke about not having balls, or showing a kid a trick, I have managed to offset some of the holiday stress with a trick so...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Believe me, you are better off without the joke. LOL

(No, really, better off without the joke.)

-Mary Mowder
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Post #3 of 50
Should I delete the joke post, and will it count against my total?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It would not matter in this section (nor in "Not very Magical , Still...). If you notice,(as of this writing) your post count is still zero.

The 50 posts have to be in areas where the discussions are about Magic.

My comment on the joke was a professional one. Often the public will laugh at a joke but some do not appreciate it. This can and does bear on your business but you might never know it.

Posts in your areas of interest in Magic will count. There is no need to rush. I've been in the secret areas and while they are interesting, I have never found them more interesting than the regular areas of the Café.

Have fun!
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Post #0 of 50
Thank God I am not professional, and not in the magic (or joke) business Smile
I will explore more in the near future, I just retired from my usual 5:00a - 8:00p vocation (in other words work) and am looking forward to being retired and attempting to make someone laugh with a joke or a trick daily.
Thanks for your tips and guidance, especially the "have fun" one Smile
Now, excuse me for being feeble but where can I find the elusive "Cups and Balls series" section?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
L&L, World's Greatest Magic, Cups and Balls series is a product that is for sale. Google it and you should find a link to the L&L website.

The "Ever so Slightly" section will have discussions of Cups & Balls.

It sounds like you are headed for an exciting retirement.

-Mary Mowder
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

I think I can't afford magic in my state of finances. I'm looking for memory jogs to re-teach me what I have previously learned. I used to be quite good at cups and balls, fooled several at the time into thinking I had trick cups with a hidden hole.
I think I got my start watching Herb Zarrow fool my young eyes just before the start of my first lesson. I have been able to retain my french drop, and several rope tricks, even at least one card trick. I still have several tricks in a box (somewhere) that folds into a stage presentation platform. I have worked as a Professional Magician at the age of about 10, even though I only earned $0.25 it allowed me to say I was a Professional. I remember just before the show practicing multiplying balls when a ball fell from my hand, struck the toe of my dress shoe and rolled under the closed curtain into the audience. I almost left that trick out of my show for the rest of my career, but decided to retrieve it. When I peeked between the curtains I was amazed how many kids were right at the front of the stage, now I think they were all just wanting a free ball. Lucky for me the kid who had my ball returned it (after a long delay), and I included the trick in my presentation.
I think in time I will be able to retrieve the cups and balls from the recesses of my brain without buying a DVD, I hope so at least because I've already paid for those secrets once.
I'm trying to not tell you my diagnosis, except I can tell you you don't want it. For right now it has me so broke I can't afford food/clothing/rent, and so fogged I can't remember cups and balls.
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

I just did a search, AFAIK there is no "Ever so Slightly" section at least not in my search. I don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man but can you share a link?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
What source/routine did you learn your routine from originally?

-Mary Mowder
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

B&H School of Magic near Long Beach California.
Bill & Herb were the owners. I still have some of the news letters someplace.
TheCosmicTruth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

The cups and balls routine we learned was the basic one, we learned several sleights, the basic cups and balls, several rope tricks and silk tricks, a couple of card tricks. I think I was only about 8 to 12 years age at the time.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1919 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Welcome to the Café. Another great resource for the "cups & balls" is the "Complete Cups & Balls" DVDS by Michael Ammar, as well as the book. This course is the most complete study of the cups of balls out there, but there are many other great resources as well. I have collected many over 37 years, and also found some hidden in old books. But as far as a "complete course" goes Ammar's is the best out there IMO. Only $26 each as well. Those would freshen your memory up REALLY fast, as well as add a lot more to your memory. The book is OOP I think, but can still be found around and on eBay and sometimes on here for sale. But the DVDS are great too and based on the book. Also Gazzo is known for his "legendary" "Street Cups and Balls" routine that he uses on the streets for busking. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1159 Also Commercial Magic #4 by the great Johnny Thompson has a great routine. "Cups & Balls (Malini / Miller / Gayot / Bosco / Vernon / Daley) - Johnny performs and explains his entire routine." http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4384

So there is a lot out there. But I would start with Ammar's set to build your foundation and then go from there. I first learned the cups and balls back in the late 70's as a kid from an "Adam's Magic Set" which I still have today. Then learned more about them from "Mark Wilson's Complete Course," "The Amateur Magician's Handbook", and then the "Tarbell Magic Course" which is by far the most complete course available on every genre of magic as a whole. But Ammar's course focuses solely on the cups and balls.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4358

The DVD format is absolutely perfect for learning the Cups & Balls. Get to the move you're looking for with just a simple click, advance or rewind, frame by frame, to see every subtlety and nuance. From building blocks to blueprints, you'll be able to construct any type of routine needed! Plus-three cameras watch from perfect angles showing the exact timing, techniques and misdirection needed for confident performing.

Volume One

Fundamental Props
Definitions - Mouth, Top of the Cup, Nesting, Stacking, Holding Out, Fake Transfer, The Steal, Loading (Secret/Actual/ Fake), The Dirty Hand, The Clean Hand, The Inertia Move
Basic Nesting
The Super Simple Routine
Fundamental Skills #1 - Acting
Methods of Holding Out
Finger Palm
Thumb Palm
Classic Palm
Beginning Sleights
The Fake Transfer
The French Drop
Classic Pass
The Simple Transfer
Misdirecting by the Wand
Secretly Loading a Ball Into a Cup
From Finger Palm
Thumb Palm
Direct from Palm
The Tip Over Load
Loading a Nested Cup
Stealing from a Tabled Cup
Two Finger Steal
Simply Holding Inside
The Two Finger Steal Out and
Spin Around to Show Empty
Stealing from Nested Cup
Little Finger Retention/Steal
Nesting Rolling Steal
Fundamental Skills #2 - Timing
Faking the Load
The Scoop, The Scoop Clip
The Pinch Method,
The Fake Roll Out
Cool Cup Moves
Passing One Through Another
Wand Through Cup
Showing Inside Deeper Than Outside
Showing a Ball Inside an Empty Cup
Rolling a Cup
Pulling a Ball Up Through a Cup
The Charlie Miller Move
The Mendoza Move
Click Move
The Flushtration Count
The Tip-Off or "Fako" Move
Galloping Post Move
The Centrifugal Move
Fundamental Skills #3 Routining
2nd Level Routine
Fundamental Skills #4 - Misdirection
The 4 Ball, 3 Cup, 1 Final Load Routine
The Impromptu Routine

Volume Two

Advanced Wand Vanishes
Through the Fist
Through the Hand #2
The Mora/Vernon Wand Spin
Striking Vanish
The Drummer's Spin
Opening the Routine
Opening Positions
One Ahead
Two Ahead
Three Ahead
Four Ahead
Other Options
Opening Sequences
One Ahead Return Opening
One Ahead Penetration
Sequence
Three Ahead Production
Sequence
Ammar's Opening Production
Body Sequences
Assembly
Miller - Sequence #1
Miller - Sequence #2
Classic Gathering in Middle
All Gather One at a Time
Three Gather on Tops of Cups
Shower of Balls
Click Move Sequence
Two-None-Two Sequence
Reappearing Inside a Nest
Methods of Misdirection
Standing or Sitting?
Natural Pockets
Special Pockets
Pouches
Edge of the Coat
Sleeves
Coordinated Timing of Both Hands
Timing
The Loading Hand
Holding the Cup
Ending Sequences
Classic Elimination Sequence
Vernon's Sophisticated Sequence
Ending Rhythms
Malini/Garcia1-2-3-4
The Engaged Spectator Ending
Creative Loading Systems
Vernon Cups & Balls Routine
What might Vernon have
done differently?
Now-here's what you do...

There are tons of resources out there. http://www.penguinmagic.com/s/cups+and+balls
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings Earthlings (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL