The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instant Knockout by Shaun Dunn and Matt Mello (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I will add that Matt Mello's presentation, using it as a prediction, makes more sense to me with this method. That will be as reliable as you want it to be...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, I think this method leads me to think that it might be worth experimenting with for a Tervil like routine...
I've asked to be banned
cho7
View Profile
New user
France
66 Posts

Profile of cho7
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
I will add that Matt Mello's presentation, using it as a prediction, makes more sense to me with this method. That will be as reliable as you want it to be...

Well, I'm not sure. I mean, for me, the relatively poor quality of the impression -I can't even see it in the explanation video- makes this matt mello's prediction trick not safe to use. It's obvious that the prediction message is written more clearly that the actual prediction. And I won't even try to let the spectator write down the final word as suggested as an alternative ending : writings mismatch will probably be a serious issue to deal with
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I think if you try it your self that it is definitely reliable. This method is not designed to replace but instead designed to be performed anywhere. Imp devices are great I use Psypher all the time but I know that most people don't carry an impression device with them all of the time. This impression is clear, the method is practical and there are tons of extra useful ideas in the video.

IAIN- it's great for Tervil.
P3
practice practice perform.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
What bothers me is magicians like Mark C. that overhype products. Aren’t we are all brothers trying to make this art form grow?
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, Psy wrote:
Aren’t we are all brothers trying to make this art form grow?

No.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, cho7 wrote:
Quote:

Well, I'm not sure. I mean, for me, the relatively poor quality of the impression -I can't even see it in the explanation video- makes this matt mello's prediction trick not safe to use. It's obvious that the prediction message is written more clearly that the actual prediction. And I won't even try to let the spectator write down the final word as suggested as an alternative ending : writings mismatch will probably be a serious issue to deal with

The reason I mention this is because if you are writing, you can control the amount of pressure. You can press really hard if you want.

Having used John Riggs type devices for years, I have learned that different spectators write at different pressures - and many people are aware that if they press hard it could leave an impression on the next page, and they will sometimes intentionally write lightly as a result. If a device doesn't deliver a decent, reliable impression even at a relatively light pressure, I won't use it in performances. That's why I've switched to Paralabs and never looked back.

Perhaps it's the pens and paper I happen to have lying around, but I haven't actually found it to work all that well for me. I think probably there is a sweet spot with the right pens and the right paper, but I don't feel confident that this would work with any pen or pencil and any pad to the degree that I would want it to for a performance.

I get that the idea is that it is impromptu and I am sure this will work fine for some, but comments like Mark C's are definitely silly.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, ted french wrote:
I think if you try it your self that it is definitely reliable. This method is not designed to replace but instead designed to be performed anywhere. Imp devices are great I use Psypher all the time but I know that most people don't carry an impression device with them all of the time. This impression is clear, the method is practical and there are tons of extra useful ideas in the video.

IAIN- it's great for Tervil.

You are right, most people don't carry an IMP device around with them, and nor do I. However, this method has similar writing requirements as a center tear, and I have my own version of a center tear which is awesome! With my center tear (an most any good center tear), it is just as impromptu... actually, just a tiny bit more impromptu. Plus, I can do my impromptu routine with any single piece of paper, or even a single business card.

Having said that, I love that magicians are always trying to come up with a new mousetrap. Maybe one day I will use this method when someone insists that I repeat the effect, say, without tearing up the paper.

For that reason, while at first I was not sure I liked it, now I am coming around to appreciating this clever handling.

KJ
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
Matt Mello’s handling is pure genius.
👌🏻
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BTW, a great way to get someone to write in a specific location of a piece of paper is to say: "I am going to attempt to hypnotize you without saying a word. In fact, you are going to hypnotize yourself. Do you think that is possible?" You tell them what you want them to do (draw something, write something, etc.), you say: "I want you to read what is written on this paper to yourself three times, and then draw the first thing that comes to mind", and where you don't want them to write, you write something like: "... I'm getting very sleepy ..."

KJ
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, atucci wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, Psy wrote:
Aren’t we are all brothers trying to make this art form grow?

No.

lmfao
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Just based on the core method, it's one of those old nuggets you would find in a book and immediately make a note somewhere to remember it. It's a great idea, and in my opinion, there is a lot of value just knowing this method for those times when it will give you more tools to work with.

Matt, Shaun, and Peter have essentially taken this old nugget and polished it up for modern use with some simple, but justified ideas to disguise the method.

My consensus is that for $15 and Matt Mello AND Peter Turner's name on it, it's a solid-priced, well thought utility you'll at the very least be happy you have available to you.

No complaints on this one.

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Also, this is cheaper than Clone.

Sorry, I had to say it--somebody's going to laugh. ;D

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
Quote:

Can I take this to mean this would be better to use for DD instead of having spectator write a word? Or, does same quality apply to whether it's picture or word? Really on the fence with this one.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Considering that the magic business is growing, ...

I'm curious how you know this.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
Quote:

There was a question on this very issue on the Penguin product owner's section by you. Look there, I provided a solution that addresses your concerns. There are no issues with performing the routine.

Tony
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
"I had just spent $70 on an impression pad when Shaun showed me this idea. I threw it in the trash. This is how I get peoples' secret info now " -Mark Calabrese

I don't believe this for one second.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2017, martenrune wrote:
Just bought it, will come back with a Review shortly

"Shortly" must be very subjective.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
This is a great tool to have in my mentalism utility belt. Not a replacement for a high quality ID like ParaPad or PN Wallet, nor was it intended to be. Different tools for different circumstances and applications.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, Stunninger wrote:
This is a great tool to have in my mentalism utility belt. Not a replacement for a high quality ID like ParaPad or PN Wallet, nor was it intended to be. Different tools for different circumstances and applications.

I think the quote used in the description shows that they absolutely did intend for people to think it would be a replacement for their impression pads.
Of course, most of us know better without having to buy it, but people who aren't yet well versed in these types of gimmicks are going to see that quote and drop their money in a heartbeat, thinking they found gold.

I don't think this is a bad method, but it's most definitely a last resort, and the advertisement is ridiculous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instant Knockout by Shaun Dunn and Matt Mello (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL