The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Should you take the Jokers out of your deck when performing tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Should you take the Jokers out of your deck when performing tricks?
I left them in and someone chose the joker - because the card had to be a number for this occasion I had to have it replaced and another card selected. Some tricks though a joker could work as a normal card, so should I take them out or leave them in?
-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1576 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
That's entirely your call. Jokers do tend to get less use and can stand out in a deck by being too clean. The same goes for the rank of hands or rules cards. If they can be put to good use for you, then by all means use them.

As for me, I often thumb through the deck to find jokers and extra cards while setting up my next effect. The simple innocent action covers what I'm really doing, perfectly.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I'm with Rob's last paragraph - if I need to set up the deck I try and do it under pretext of removing the Jokers.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
radiantentertainment
View Profile
Regular user
Donald Collins
112 Posts

Profile of radiantentertainment
I use my jokers for three card monte. Why not do a different and quick effect if the joker was selected. If it would break your routine just palm it off to your pocket and tell them to take another. When they challenge you, say you lost the card. You could play it up as not being able to find the card. Then show it has vanished.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!
Less is more.
&
Knock'em dead!
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I always leave them in. I use them for a few effects and if I want a card signed but don't feel like letting them sign a regular card, I have my victim.
Jason
Bohh
View Profile
Regular user
Northeast Ohio
162 Posts

Profile of Bohh
I agree with Rob also. The jokers give me a perfect excuse to do something else while taking them out.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4354 Posts

Profile of rannie
Either or! Just like Rob I use it as an excuse, especially on stacked decks. Generally I take them out and place them on top of my case.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
In my opinion, you should remove jokers. If you wish to do an effect with them, pull them out yourself.

If they fairly picked the joker themselves, their initial reaction, might be that you have great sleight of hand.

Most laypersons know most card games do not involve jokers. The ones that do, have them as a trump as they aren't in abundance in a deck. Randomly selecting one is very unlikely to happen without the "help" of a magician.

Some might also know that most decks come with identical (or seemingly identical) jokers. If they fairly pick one, they might assume you forced the card on them, or are possibly working with duplicates. You can set them somewhat at ease by having them sign the card, but you can't hide the fact that they picked it, and they can't stop themselves from coming up with a reason for it. After all, who would trust a magician at a game of cards?
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
magiciangirl902
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, VA
74 Posts

Profile of magiciangirl902
I never have jokers in my deck but it's entirely up to you, Niko.
Most magicians do magic tricks, I do magic
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
It all depends. If you want to learn how to cut 26/26 and perform a perfect faro, you should almost always REMOVE the jokers. You can't get a good feel for half of 52 when you always have 53. It also depends on the deck. With bikes I leave in the first joker and I take out the one w/ the words on it. (It's really really ugly IMO) I like to have it for ambitious classic (ETMCM vol.4) and it's a pleasant suprise to people sometimes. If you do a culling trick, jokers are good because they really stand out. They're also great for color changes.
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
tollamus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tollamus
I always keep the jokers in the pack, but that's just my
preference.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Sometimes, If I am carrying an ID...
I have followed advice here and discarded the extra cards and gone with the "odd-out" rule.

So, that I don't pull out the ID by mistake, my other deck is set up with a joker on the bottom. That way, I always take out the correct deck. The other joker is mixed in the deck. Then if I need to find a set card... I can be looking for the jokers.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1045 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
If the Jokers, or at least one of them, is shimmed or magnetic - leave them in!

If you use "SWITCHER" - leave them in! (I made my own switcher using the Jokers ... and much! thinner than the original version)

If you need a Joker force (gaffed: see Gaffed to the Hilt) - leave them in!

Anyway; if you pretend to take out the Jokers, 2 cards (which could be ANY cards) - leave them in!

Just 2 Euro-Cents for contribution...
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4398 Posts

Profile of Paul
I leave them in.

But think about it. If you know what tricks you plan to do (and you surely do) then if a joker would screw it up remove them initially.

It's your call.

Paul.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
I take them out, unless I do an effect where I need to take them for an effect ( snicker, snicker).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Joseph Martin
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Joseph Martin
I leave them in. For my experience, it seems natural for the audience. I also perform some effects with them.
Regards.
x303
View Profile
New user
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada.
74 Posts

Profile of x303
Niko, when you play a card game do YOU leave them in?
I use them to make gaffs, double backs...etc!

Bob
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
739 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-04-18 12:19, radiantentertainment wrote:
I use my jokers for three card monte.

IMHO this best use of Jokers!
Richard
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
If you perform for a regular audience (at school or work or family gatherings) and you don't use jokers, then you buy a trick that uses joker gaffs, it could really stand out and scream (TRICK CARDS!)
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I take them out and use them for Torn and restored card effects. That way I can perform at least twice without wrecking my cards and they are in roughly the same condition as the rest of the pack so they don't stand out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Should you take the Jokers out of your deck when performing tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL