The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gimmicked effect for Newbie (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
312 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I'm looking for a gimmicked coin effect for a friend who loves magic but is NOT a magician. He is a psychologist who does a lot of work with kids of all ages and families. I've given him a D'Lite and he has fun with younger kids.

I am looking for an effect he can use with older kids and adults... Conditions:
- As self working as possible / NO sleight of hand
- Familiar props / Impromptu appearance
- Easy to carry
- As "clean" as possible in the end
- Simple reset

The first effect that comes to mind is Scotch & Soda / Gin & Tonic... (magnetic or bang ring?). Coin Unique provides a similar (if not the same) effect. These seem to fit the bill and can be carried in a small coin purse.

Is S&S / G&T / CU the way to go ?
Are there other options ?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Does it have to be coins?

That would also be one of the first that comes to mind, or something like the $1.35 trick, but I think S&S is more versatile. The magnetic is easier to reset, but slightly less examinable, so I'd say it's up to your friend which style he'd rather use.
John Murray's Mark (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3688) is also similar in function, with a built-in reset and a tad more examinable (without a switch), though I does require one false transfer.
A folding coin also comes to mind, but a very different type of effect (in bottle, bite, etc).

Those two are probably the easiest/have the most options for performances. If you go to non-coin stuff, I'd say one of the pen-through-bill gimmicks would be pretty good and reusable. I gave a friend Ignition (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2685) as a gift last year, which is similar, but presents nicely/a little differently.

Hope that helps!
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
312 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
No... doesn't have to be coins. It has to be Zero sleight of hand.. Even Pen Through is too much for him. This is a gift, so Im trying to not engage him in the selection
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
674 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Nickels to dimes. Only problem is having to reset it
Devils Hank. Can use to make things vanish or appear
Out To Lunch. Is automatic reset depending on how it used
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7865 Posts

Profile of funsway
Teach him the "Ten Count." It can be done with any two small objects - erasers, coins, bottle caps - and illustrated misdirection over trickery.
Technically, a sleight is involved but so easy to master. As a psychologist he should love the fact that even those knowing the secret
cannot resist looking in the wrong place.

If you have to buy something, a set of Color Changing chips will work. Fun and very little skill - and he can't be talked into repeating Smile

for example "Poker Chip Polka" - $10 from Magic Trick Store
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Is it your impression that pen-through is too much, or his? Because I don't consider that to be "sleights" you can remove a tip one handed, and put the bill down on top of it palm facing you, and no one's the wiser, even though you did it completely in the open. (Body blocking.)

If even that's too much, then 10 count will likely be also (despite my seconding the suggestion). But in that case, I suspect the magnetic version of S&S would be better, as it self-activates, rather than needing pressure as the bang-ring version does.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
7865 Posts

Profile of funsway
On the one hand, my mind boggles at the notion that a person who made it though college and readily works with kids cannot (or has not) the ability to manipulate simple objects.
On the other hand, I have worked with many persons with physical disabilities and taught them magic effects - always looking at how to use the disability to advantage.
If the aversion/limitation is psychological, then ...

not being judgmental - just suggesting that the selection of trick should be based on the reason why he doesn't already do such things.
I am biased, of course, from coming from a generation in which every kid learned a couple of magic tricks, and performed them for adults and other kids. Why is he a "newbie?"
Possibly, being concerned over "gimmick vs sleight" is either disrespectful or enabling. What is objective in performing in his work?

So, find a copy of "The Boy Scout Book of Magic" and let him select his own method of communicating with kids and adults.

another thought is to focus on "semi-magic" items. Consider a couple dozen "Adair Butterfly" packets. This is the ever-popular long=short comparison puzzle with caterpillars,
that when turned over fit to form a butterfly. Kids can take them home (cheap) and amaze friends and stay off of video games for a moment.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
312 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Its not an issue of "ability," per se....and I do believe there are plenty of smart, intelligent people who just don't have the dexterity or ability to mime actions for magic. In any event, maybe I mis-represented my request by using the term "newbie." He is very busy in his practice and social life, and has other interests; learning magic is not one of them. He enjoys watching magic, and does play with a TT with young kids "on occasion."

Nickles to Dimes is "close," but that cap is not something lots of folks have in their pocket or would recognize as "common." Out to lunch is a possibility if I got him the Stockholder wallet and a "set" routine. I still am gravitating toward SS / GT / CU. No "technique," easy to carry, "normal" props, and I think it is more repeatable (over time) for the same audience.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
748 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Hi Scott - if its coins, then I guess Coin Unique is the way to go. However, if he's a psychologist then what about Genetics.... not a coin trick however, but self working and fun
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
312 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Thanks. I wasn't with Genetics and just looked it up. If this is Sean Goodman's card effect.... It looks good, but doesn't fit the bill. Its not something he would "normally" have in his pocket all the time, and it definitely isn't using items which are "familiar" to most. Again, I'm looking for effects (not necessarily coins) for a an "anytime, anyplace" quickie
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
674 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
312 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Quiver is a good idea (I have 2 for myself) ... Just a simple switch.. say the "paper" coin to a real coin. Good option
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
748 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
What about the Raven or Ring Flight Revolution too?
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1770 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
If he's not that into magic, do we really want him to have a great utility tool like quiver that might be exposed through "loose" handling?

I have a family friend who works for his volunteer fire department who's been carrying a hotrod for quite some time to distract kids when there's something going on with either them or a family member. He was looking for something else, but it needed to be simple, and like the hot rod, one he could carry easily. The Amazing Jumping Arrow was the perfect fit. Any simple paddle trick should be good.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1770 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
If it's got to be coins, then scotch and soda.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2527 Posts

Profile of warren
If he's not a magician and has zero interest in learning magic using sleights why are people happy for him to give away items such as Quiver, ring flight revolution etc or are these joke suggestions ?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

I like the hot-rod suggestion, and third the concern about giving away something *too* good (e.g. Quiver) as opposed to something essentially in the public domain (e.g. the paddle move). Though neither is particularly repeatable to the same audience.

I agree to some extent that sleights are too much for some people (especially if they're unwilling to practice), but I also draw the distinction between a "sleight" (e.g. a retention pass) and, say, holding something in finger-palm secretly from the audience. The latter should be doable by anyone with a small amount of misdirection.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
7865 Posts

Profile of funsway
Ditto on the last, tons. My wife is a musician and not a magician. Yet, she has always had a guitar pick hidden in her fingers when playing.
It is a very natural thing to do.

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2527 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
I like the hot-rod suggestion, and third the concern about giving away something *too* good (e.g. Quiver) as opposed to something essentially in the public domain (e.g. the paddle move). Though neither is particularly repeatable to the same audience.

I agree to some extent that sleights are too much for some people (especially if they're unwilling to practice), but I also draw the distinction between a "sleight" (e.g. a retention pass) and, say, holding something in finger-palm secretly from the audience. The latter should be doable by anyone with a small amount of misdirection.

It was said at the begining that this isn't a magician and he has no interest in learning sleight of hand magic therefore why on earth would you be willing to give away things like quiver etc.

As I said before magic certainly isn't what it used to be, giving away these things to someone who can't be bothered to learn anything with just a tiny bit of skill and can't be bothered enough to even do a little research himself just cheapens the art.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
312 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Given all the feedback, I think Scotch and Soda / Gin and Tonic / Double Deception is the way to go. SS and GT (along with Invisible decks, sponge balls and hot rods) have been marketed to anyone and everyone for decades, so there is no new exposure here.

This fits the bill for a non-magician, lover of magic... who will NOT disclose the gimmick
- Self working / NO sleight of hand - just sliding one coin over another one
- Familiar props / Impromptu appearance - 2 common coins
- Repeatable - not 5 times in a row, but maybe once a month or so to friends and associates
- Easy to carry - 3 coins in a little pouch
- Ends "clean," although not examinable (No, he will not be able to do a convincing switch)
- Simple reset - even easier with magnetic version

- I also think the magnetic version allows for 3-4 different presentations (none requiring any "technique") that can appear to be different effects

and just hope he doesn't spend them !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gimmicked effect for Newbie (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL