The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017 (103 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11~12~13 [Next]
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
My vote for 2017:
1. Xeno by Marc Kerstein
2. Marty by SecretStudio

And my Thurston Award vote goes to Max Krause for his astonishing customer service and the heart of giving that surprisingly made me cried this year. Beside all that, is his amazing professional apps (MentalKiller, Cardstat aka MACAAN and Menta-list are fews that I have) that always ready to go whenever-- where ever!
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Well I did vote for Inject 2.0, but seeing as it was wiping the floor clean with votes here and has since been disqualified for being an update, so here are my votes.
Rubik's Dream by Henry Harris

I nominate Greg Rostami for the Thurston award
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Inject 2
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
1. Q&A Evolution by Scott Creasey. Simply brilliant.

2. Performing the Q&A by Gerry McCambridge.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, 1KJ wrote:
1. Chinese Tweezers by Lopez
2. Gone Fishin by McGie
3. Whiplash by Janousky

TA: Reel Magic

Whats TA mean?
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Thurston Award
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
1. Actor's Force - Greg Rostami from his 2017 release, Inject 2.0
2. Whiplash - Just Joshin Magic
3. OX Bender

TA- Greg Rostami
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
TA Greg rostami
houndini inject 2.0 Greg rostami
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
452 Posts

Profile of Rick
1. Inject 2
2. Anything Peter Turner puts out..
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Remember, inject 2 is disallowed.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Remember, inject 2 is disallowed.

THIS
KLMind
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
25 Posts

Profile of KLMind
1. Proteus
2. OxBender
TA: Greg Rostami
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I only bought one trick this year that can be considered "Trick of the Year"
The Gift by Angelo Carbone
Also my TA vote goes for Angelo because of his commitment to his customers to get the most of his creation.
He started a very successful Facebook support group for users of The Gift.
Ihor
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Remember- Inject 2.0 qualifies if you list an actual effect from it. Hence I nominated Greg Rostami's, Actor's Force routine.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
magicmarcuk
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of magicmarcuk
My vote for TOTY goes to Angelo Carbone’s excellent product The Gift. It had an early release in 2017 which I hope doesn’t detract from it being fresh on voters’ minds as it’s truly excellent.

Angelo Carbone also gets my vote for the Thurston Award. Angelo is an incredible creator and his support and ongoing creativity are second to none. He’s also a lovely guy, and I’d love to see him win this award that I believe he truly deserves.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Sorry to be negative

But it really feels like ‘king making’ when on one hand you say inject is banned then on the other say ‘oh but you can change your vote for it for a Thurston’

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
If you voted for Inject 2.0, please cast a vote for another and please don’t forget that the Thurston Award exists- which seems like an extremely excellent alternative in this exact case.
jamie

Nobody was voting this way before. None of those who votes inject 2.0 ever had a thought before to nominate Greg for a Thurston.

Now you have corrupted the Thurston award as everyone who wants to vote Inject as their favourite effect now has to vote Greg for a Thurston instead.

The only reason this is annoying [for me] – is I love the Thurston award. Especially when people give reasons for their nomination. As this is the sort of thing that should be held up and rewarded. The extra mile that maybe Card Shark, Phedon, or Carbone go.

Creators/manufactures helping magicians [when problems arise] and all that
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Trick of the year: Whiplash

Creator of the year: Josh Janousky
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, The Duster wrote:
Sorry to be negative

But it really feels like ‘king making’ when on one hand you say inject is banned then on the other say ‘oh but you can change your vote for it for a Thurston’

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
If you voted for Inject 2.0, please cast a vote for another and please don’t forget that the Thurston Award exists- which seems like an extremely excellent alternative in this exact case.
jamie

Nobody was voting this way before. None of those who votes inject 2.0 ever had a thought before to nominate Greg for a Thurston.

Now you have corrupted the Thurston award as everyone who wants to vote Inject as their favourite effect now has to vote Greg for a Thurston instead.

The only reason this is annoying [for me] – is I love the Thurston award. Especially when people give reasons for their nomination. As this is the sort of thing that should be held up and rewarded. The extra mile that maybe Card Shark, Phedon, or Carbone go.

Creators/manufactures helping magicians [when problems arise] and all that

Heya Duster!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. Just to make sure we're not rewriting history here, though, my exact words were "an excellent alternative" - and it is. The Thurston (which I love, as well) is an amazing alternative for any creator who has offered incredible customer service, or any of the other things that the Thurston represents. And anyone can win it; including Angelo and Christian- who are also friends of mine. I would suggest that absolutely nothing is corrupted, that it's never a bad thing for people to learn what the Thurston is (if they didn't know already), that people will vote for who they want, and that I don't have any influence on those votes. There are many, many people who deserve the Thurston- and it's up to all of you to decide; not me.

Looking forward, I wonder if this Thread is still worth the time and trouble. I'm not picking up my ball and going home- but we have to be realistic. Times are changing, people's interactions are different than they were ten years ago, and it's a different world now with many options of where to find your knowledge and insight. It has to be asked if this still the thing that was originally created. I reckon we'll see how this one goes and take a hard look when it's over.

My best,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Yeah but your comment [and the 'banning' of Inject 2] have in effect meant you have 'king made' here

Nobody had any interest in voting for Greg for a Thurston Award

I won't keep banging on about this - I just think it's an unfair situation and a corrupted result, if inject 2 hadn't off been banned I suspect he would have got very few [maybe 0 votes for a Thurston]

I have had a few emails suggesting [for various reasons] that maybe Greg is NOT a good fit for a Thurston Award - but as they want to keep their views private I don't know that there is any weight to them

I don't know Greg at all

I can see from this thread that loads of people rate his Inject 2 very highly

So this isn't personal at all

I just think it's a shame the way this has happened
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Again - I want to state - I apologise for the negativity

And I don't have inject 2

I can see that those who do - seem to really love/rate it

So it really is nothing to do with the product or Greg personally

I just wish this situation hadn't happened

Thanks for running this jamie all the best to all x
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017 (103 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL