The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Kicker To Michael Murray's Brave New World? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Hi all,

I've recently practiced Michael Murray's "A Brave New World" but haven't given it a test run on laypeople yet.
Here is a link to a performance of the effect shared on another thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuBxOCFQRo&edit=vd
I'm considering adding a phase where all the face down cards are turned face up to see how well the spectator actually did, then giving them a chance to deal all of the cards face down
to see if they can do a full separation this time (r**dr*nn*r c*ll plus a more typical handling of OOTW).

What are peoples' thoughts on this idea? I don't like that it would lengthen the routine considerably because of the dealing, but the spectator would likely look and feel awesome in this context.
One thought I had is to only break out the last phase if somebody actually mentions the face down cards.

Best,
Thomas Indigo
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
448 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Michael's routine is built to create the illusion that all the cards have been shown. I don't think proving that illusion wrong right away is the right thing to do.

Rather, you could do the 'clean-up' as Michael suggests, and then turn all the rights face-up. "Spread" through the deck face-up to let them have another look, and THEN let them deal the entire deck face-down. The end result is the same.

Really though, BNW's strength lies in the FASDIU, hands-off nature. This second phase foregoes that for something completely different. Not wrong, but decidedly different.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Thanks for the input. Upon further thought I came to pretty much the same conclusion as I was "running while not being chased".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Kicker To Michael Murray's Brave New World? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL