The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Control vs. Silent Assistant (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, Ray Pierce wrote:
Aren't both of these variations on Nick Night's Enigma from about 30 years ago?

Silent Assistant pretty much is a modified version. I'm hopping both credit him. I have gotten thousands of miles out of my Enigma.
mistifyed
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of mistifyed
Quote:

Hi Ray that definitely was a blast from the past as you know;) I have seen the Enigma gimmick so I'm familiar. Control is very different from Enigma. What I have created with Control gives you so much more than just putting a bill through a glass. I wanted to create a stealth device that you can retrieve in a moment's notice. Look at all the different routines/effects that is shown on the trailer.
I will say that from what I have seen silent assistant is more along the lines of an updated Enigma gimmick i.e. weaker m****t and having to bend or contort your fingers to hold it in place.
Darryl
mistifyed
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of mistifyed
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, bloodkin wrote:
Quote:

Silent Assistant pretty much is a modified version. I'm hopping both credit him. I have gotten thousands of miles out of my Enigma.

Bloodkin
for sure Greg Wilson gives Nick a shout out during the teaching of bill through glass routine.
Darryl
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Off Topic

I have most of these gizmos or have seen them physically. Here are my 2 tiny little loonies:-

Irrespective of the shape of magnet used, almost all these gizmos (that I have seen) have a curved shaped contact area (the place/spot where an object is made to stick/adhere). Please keep in mind that any curved surface, due to its shape, makes a point/line contact. Whereas a flat surface has a greater contact area.

When using magnets, irrespective of the strength of the magnet the contact surface area plays a very important and vital role. Let's take the case of a magnet ring. Due to its inherent round (cylindrical) shape and with or without a rounded outer surface, makes a point or a line contact with the object it holds. Thus the holding power of a magnet ring will be many times lesser than that of a tiny flat disc magnet of the same strength just because of their difference in contact surface area.

For magic purpose which need holding of a flat surface object (like metal bottle caps, steel coins etc.) I use a simple disc magnet 8mm dia x 2.5mm thick - N40/50 grade (Magnetized through the thickness) hidden under a Band-Aid. This tiny magnet has a much stronger holding power than a magnet ring of the same strength. In case you don't like the idea of using a Band-Aid, you might like to checkout Hank Morfin's 'Any Ring PK Gimmick'. Hank Morfin's 'Any Ring PK Gimmick' will solve most similar problems encountered. With the Any PK Ring Gimmick you will be able to select and use a magnet of appropriate size and strength. Also the Morfin's gimmick can be easily attached & detached.

Damping Of Sound - When a magnet attracts an object.

For this you need to apply a thick coat of matt finish Plasti Dip rubber coating. This does two things - Firstly it helps in dampening the noise when an item is attracted to the magnet. Secondly it slightly reduces the magnetic force of attraction thus making it easy to retrieve the item stuck to the magnet. Plasti-Dip also comes with five specially formulated tints. When combined in various proportions & combinations it can provide thousands of color possibilities. One can even coat a PK Ring or any other type of magnet (that requires sound dampening as well as color camouflage) with the color of one’s choice. The rubber compound can be put to many other uses.

Hope this helps! Smile

Back on topic please . . . and please continue . . . Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, mistifyed wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, bloodkin wrote:
Quote:

Never doubted he would. Can't wait to start using this!

Bloodkin
for sure Greg Wilson gives Nick a shout out during the teaching of bill through glass routine.
Darryl
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Control it is for me. I have never been let down by Vanamburg. Sandsmind let down more than a few times.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I just purchased Silent Assistant. I will admit that I was a little leery, because it is a Sansminds product. However, I was very pleasantly surprised! I'm really impressed with the look, feel, and strength of the gimmick. This will certainly be replacing my P.K. ring for many of my routines. I cannot speak about Control, as I have not had a chance to check one out, but I'm curious to read other's opinions of it.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks Brian. To be honest, I would like to see a comparison of the two. If the differences are meaningful enough, I'm going to purchase both of them, I love PK effects so much.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Silent Assistant, was first presented by Penn Jillette under the name Teller.I hope sansmind gives him credit for the original. Smile Smile Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, Glenn Watson wrote:
Silent Assistant, was first presented by Penn Jillette under the name Teller.I hope sansmind gives him credit for the original. Smile Smile Smile

That.
Was.
Horrible.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I joke! I joke!

Happy New Year!
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
I just wonder why Control is aiming only telekinesis kinda effects in the ad and Silent Assistant only vanishes and changes!?

Aren't vanishes possible with Control and will PK effects not work with Silent Assistant?!
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Isn't this just the same as Event Horizon by Hand Crafted Miracles?

Ah well...
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
I definitely want to pick one of these up..but which one ?????
I love to vanish and reappear items and I love some PK effects, I think the vanishes are more magical than having the ability to move objects with your mind so I want the one that will best for walkround......any one got any views or recommendations. Also do any of these 2 effects come with shimmed coins etc ?
Thank in advance
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2018, AceFace wrote:
I definitely want to pick one of these up..but which one ?????
I love to vanish and reappear items and I love some PK effects, I think the vanishes are more magical than having the ability to move objects with your mind so I want the one that will best for walkround......any one got any views or recommendations. Also do any of these 2 effects come with shimmed coins etc ?
Thank in advance

Same here - what I need to know is if the Control gimmick is as low profile as the SA as I'd rather go with that one even at the higher price because it is by Darryl V....But if it's anything like the Movemint one it would be way too bulky and pronounced for what I intend on using it for even if it is stronger.

BTW I really don't like Sansmind exposing of the product for all to see (not really an issue here but the demo can be seen by anyone on Youtube or browsing magic sales websites inc. Penguin, MM, etc.) and think it should be edited to remove the actual goods. No reason to be so blatant about it. I've emailed them my concerns but doubt anything will come of it.
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Here is the email I sent to Sansmind:

"Hi,

I appreciate the fact that you provide this gimmick and have gone through the trouble of having it produced and available for working magicians. It seems like a great utility....but one whose "operation" should be closely guarded. Therefore, I have a real concern about your demo video of it where the method is totally exposed....in fact, ADVERTISED.

While I know you are probably targeting magicians as your prime customers, the problem is anyone can view this video on magic seller websites or even find it on YouTube. Exposing such a well conceived idea to laymen or nosy internet browsers dies nothing but hurt the product and potentially tips the secret even without looking for it to anyone who views the video. In fact, there are already comments on the YouTube vids with people saying "Thanks for saving me the $$...I'll make my own" and others who mention it just being a Sanada gimmick with a magnet. Could they maybe have guessed that...yes.....but putting it out there on your actual product video confirms it and leaves no question about the method, which I assume will hurt the sales of it and affect your bottom line.

Please consider editing out the brief visual of the actual "works" and instead let people wonder and/or have to order it to be privy to the method. Thanks."

"BTW....here is one of the YouTube links....read the comments."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xve0fI524
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
While exposure might lose some sales, it's not the only outcome. It also *produces* some sales, since there are people who were on the fence - particularly because they didn't know what was included and how much it overlapped with something they already owned.

By clearly outlining what the product is, those people get a clear answer, and can make a more informed decision to purchase the item, knowing they'll be satisfied. I believe the same thing happened with Jeff Copeland's Blackbirds.

Most things are more nuanced than you might at first think.

I read some of those youtube comments, but I'm not sure which ones you were referring to. Many seemed to be from teenagers who probably wouldn't have purchased it in the first place, if it wasn't exposed. So it's not really a lost sale there, either.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just received Silent Assistant. I like it. It is well made and does what it is supposed to do. It fits nciely on my ring finger. The 1 hour and 5 minute video instruction is detailed and comprehensive covering all you need to know on how to put on and ditch the gimmick, use the gimmick and various routines including changing different items into another item, a nice chop cup type routien using a small paper catsup cup, and a cap in bottle routine. Silent Assistant comes with three (3) "assistants" for you to gimmick items. I also ordered COntrol, but have not received it yet so cannot compare the two utitily items.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, magicinsight wrote:
I just received Silent Assistant. I like it. It is well made and does what it is supposed to do. It fits nciely on my ring finger. The 1 hour and 5 minute video instruction is detailed and comprehensive covering all you need to know on how to put on and ditch the gimmick, use the gimmick and various routines including changing different items into another item, a nice chop cup type routien using a small paper catsup cup, and a cap in bottle routine. Silent Assistant comes with three (3) "assistants" for you to gimmick items. I also ordered COntrol, but have not received it yet so cannot compare the two utitily items.

Michael

Thanks for that Michael.....please do post a comparison or pro/con of each when you have time to have worked with both....If these are different enough or more suited to one effect vs another I may do just as you have and order both.
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Thanks and yes plese do post a comparison. How silent is the silent assistant when vanishing a coin with a wave of the hand? Could you do it one on one with someone in a pretty quiet room?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Control vs. Silent Assistant (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL