The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin is stuck in shell (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I have a coin that is stuck in a shell perhaps from lack of use!!! My magic dealer suggested shaking it in a glass to tease it out; but this hasn't worked. Any ideas? Submerging it in cooking oil?? Lynn
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Do you have a bang ring?
Hot glue pencils or similar to both sides, then pull.
Might try the same with duct tape.
Use the search function... It's been discussed here many times.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
If your gimmick was made by Johnson, contact them and chances are they will fix the problem for you.

Julie
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I had the same issue with a £2 coin that I purchased from Saturn Magic, here in the UK the £2 coin has a different metal in middle and the middle part popped right out thus breaking it when I tried to remove the regular coin which was a pity as I had only had it for a few weeks...needless to say I wasn't pleased.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Rather than heat to expand the shell, try cold to contract the base coin. With the shell on top, set to coin on an ice cube.

After a couple of minutes, grasp the shell edges with fingers and bang you wrist on the table.

If it comes apart, use the silk method to expand the shell before reuse.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, inigmntoya wrote:
Do you have a bang ring?
Hot glue pencils or similar to both sides, then pull.
Might try the same with duct tape.
Use the search function... It's been discussed here many times.

funny me! I should have searched first. I thought I was the only one with this problem! I'm mostly into cards, and wanted to return to some coin routines after a lapse of maybe a year. So the coin got stuck. It turned out that ice did the trick! Thanx to all. Magicians helping magicians. Lynn
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
A very interesting addenda to this: I got the coin stuck again; and this time the ice wouldn't release it. Went all over the search for ideas, and came across this fellow who suggested tiny plungers (in jest?). Well the dollar store sells little suction cups for window dressing, etc. They are slightly larger than half dollar, but when 2 of them are pressed together (with coin and shell in betweem)... lo and behold they came apart! No glue needed or banging it around (and possible damaging it). NOW, I'm going to take inigmntoya's suggestion of using a silk to make sure they don't get stuck again. Anyway, I highly recommend suction cups, cheap and non-damaging as a way to go. I should also add that it was a sun and moon coin that was stuck; and my dealer said a bang ring would not work! Lynn
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lynnef, once you get it out, you should try to fix the problem. Gimmicked coins can get damaged, and corrosion does set in when stored away for long periods, as well as body oils left in your clothing can cause corrosion as well.

Inspect the coin, and clean it inside and out. There are metal cleaning products on the market. Also carefully inspect the thin edge of the coin, it may be dented. If so, cut a small piece of round wood dowel stick, and run the stick around the inside edge of the shells. Don't apply a lot of pressure, but a little at a time.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thank you so much to all. Unlike cards, I see that coins require a bit more maintainence; and all your suggestions have been most appreciated. I love performing hopping halves, but it simply won't do if esp the last coin gets stuck! To get these suggestions from real masters is precious. Lynn
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
I had a hopping half that sat for several years and the sun and moon coin would get stuck. I got it apart with the ice method and then used a dremel with a buffing wheel to clean up the edge. Works great now. Patina a little bright on the edge, but time will fix that.
Charly Nigh
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Charly Nigh
Funsway, you made day. Ice method worked like a charm. Thank you in spades. This is why I appreciate The Magic Café. Keep up the good work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin is stuck in shell (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL