The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Actually" in Card patter (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
560 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I "actually" don't recall hearing anyone say that. I will listen more. Maybe it's among a certain sub-group of magicians? Maybe based on age or locale? Because I never hear that. And other than students, I never hear any magician describing what they are going to do. Is this really a thing?

As for "excellent" in response to a spectator doing something, I guess that would be stupid if it is repeated over and over, but I like the idea of complimenting spectators for a job well done, even if it's something dreadfully simple, like choosing a card. I think that builds rapport and credibility, and gets good feelings flowing with your audience in a conspiratorial, collaborative way. After all, the audience has a part in this play, and they like to be told they are doing well.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2675 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Wow.....I said "actually" last night at a restaurant gig. As soon as I said it, this thread popped into my head. Ididn't realize I said it.
I was performing a new effect "Psychic Spinner" so my presentation is developing. ( good excuse) How important is it and do our spectators really pay attention to those "fill-in" words? Maybe. It is best to be professional in all aspects of our performance, especially the words we use.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
I've done it myself.

I started to get a French accent watching Tabary's Rope video. LOL

At one time Slydini's accent and mannerisms seemed a little prevalent.

-Mary

Haha, I'm the same way. I've watched the same video of Derek Dingle performing his fabulous jumping card trick so many times that I often find myself accidentally talking in a British accent while practicing it.
"The trick only works if I have eleven cods"
"Wait, cods? That's not how I talk, cards!"
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1689 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2018, davidpaul$ wrote:
Wow.....I said "actually" last night at a restaurant gig. As soon as I said it, this thread popped into my head. Ididn't realize I said it.
I was performing a new effect "Psychic Spinner" so my presentation is developing. ( good excuse) How important is it and do our spectators really pay attention to those "fill-in" words? Maybe. It is best to be professional in all aspects of our performance, especially the words we use.

I think people notice. I know I do. Due to the whole "mansplaining" thing, I can't stand when I find myself starting a sentence with, "Actually..."

(Side note - Where does a mansplainer get his water? From a well, actually. - This goes through my head every time)

Every careless filler word indicates that the performer is either phoning in his performance, or hasn't rehearsed enough to really be ready. Even if my audience doesn't pick up on it, it would annoy me too much to let it stay.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2621 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I'm reading "Teaching Magic", Eugene Burger's new book. It's excellent! There are a lot of ideas about the value of scripting and the dangers of unscripted performances. Eugene also has a way of making the reader want to become a better magician. Lots of great stuff.

Mike
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1689 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
That's high on my list to buy soon.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
777 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2018, danaruns wrote:
but I like the idea of complimenting spectators for a job well done, even if it's something dreadfully simple, like choosing a card.

Unless you’re performing for a young child, this is wildly condescending.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2772 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I hear some repeating the word "k?" instead of saying "ok." As in--"And now take a card, K? And put it back in the deck, k?"

When I hear someone say this it makes me almost physically sick.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
560 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2018, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Unless you’re performing for a young child, this is wildly condescending.

No it's not. Maybe it's a gender thing. When I perform, it's a cooperative, collaborative, conspiratorial exercise. The audience and I are working together for their entertainment, and it's a friendly, flirty or encouraging thing. I'll admit to seeing few men ever perform like that. So yeah, it might be wildly condescending when you do it, but it's definitely not when I do. Different styles, I suppose.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2814 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Fonda57 wrote:

Quote:
I hear some repeating the word "k?" instead of saying "ok." As in--"And now take a card, K? And put it back in the deck, k?"

When I hear someone say this it makes me almost physically sick.

The thing is OK is itself thought to be an abbreviation. (abbreviation of orl korrect, humorous form of all correct, popularized as a slogan during President Van Buren's re-election campaign of 1840; his nickname Old Kinderhook (derived from his birthplace) provided the initials.)

Abbreviations come about by usage not by rule books. I'm sure many people were appaled by OK when it first came into usage.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of jakeg
My pet peeve saying is, ‘at this point in time’. It’s like saying, ,8am in the morning. When then? 8am at night?
Also, what happened to the ‘ly’’ at the end of words?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
IMHO, most magicians I've ever seen talk too much when performing.

Unless they are really, really funny or really, really engaging they would be better off (for my taste) editing their patter down to next to nothing.

Most patter is obvious nonsense and waffle - just do the trick already! - and don't feel you have to keep talking all the way through every stage and even through the 'moment of wonder' at the end Smile Combine this over-talking with clichés, bad grammar, stutters, corny jokes, and pointless filler words and you have a real verbal mess. Smile

Which reminds me - I better go edit my own scripts and do some rehearsing, lol Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2018, Terrible Wizard wrote:
IMHO, most magicians I've ever seen talk too much when performing.

Unless they are really, really funny or really, really engaging they would be better off (for my taste) editing their patter down to next to nothing.

Most patter is obvious nonsense and waffle - just do the trick already! - and don't feel you have to keep talking all the way through every stage and even through the 'moment of wonder' at the end Smile Combine this over-talking with clichés, bad grammar, stutters, corny jokes, and pointless filler words and you have a real verbal mess. Smile

Which reminds me - I better go edit my own scripts and do some rehearsing, lol Smile

Unfortunately, most performers thing that they are really, really funny, and, really engaging.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

How can they be freed from that delusion? Smile
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
That's and advantage when you perform in a language different from the ones you study magic: It's very difficult to copy patter mannerisms. I'm sure I have mine too, I'll be more attentive from now on. But one thing I feel is that I always have to change the patter as I'm working on a new trick, so it doens't sound phony or completely fake when I'm presenting it. This is specially true when I'm performing to friends and family, who can feel that right away.

Also, somewhat related to the subject:

Do you find yourselves changing the way you speak according to the audience to whom you perform?

I'm from Brazil, and I've performed in some fancy occasions as well as in some favelas. And it's really hard, for me, to use the same patter, the same way of speaking and the same way of delivering. I think is an instinctive way of trying to connect to the audience, so they feel that the performance is close/related to them. I wouldn't incorporate slangs in the patter of a trick performed in a very formal wedding, the same way I wouldn't use very formal language for kids, or very informal situations (bar, friends, etc...) or even in nursing homes for old people, for instance.

Some times I worry if that is not prejudice on my part. But, here I may find myself performing to a poor old couple who never finished elementary school, and maybe don't know how to read. I don't see why I should use the same patter with them if I feel that would prevent them to fully understand what I want to say.

I mean, language can be a form of exclusion, but in a certain way, I'm changing the presentation because I am the one who feels the audience won't get it. So some could argue that I'm not being fair, as I'm denying to some people part of the work I put into the presentation.

What do you think?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It seems to me that speaking in a manner similar to what you would hear your t.v newscasters use would make sense. Their whole livelihood depends upon their ability to communicate with the public, so I figure that they know what they are doing.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Ricardo:
For casual performances (which is all I ever do as a hobbyist), I never stick rigidly to a script or word-for-word delivery. It's more like a speech, I jazz around a scripted presentation, adjusting as needed.
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

That is a good start. But They don't create an emotional connection with the public. But it is a good start to rethink the way I speak.

When I think about it, movies don't really have that concern (obviously), but again, I feel not everybody understands some essential parts of certain movies. And movies have the advantage of the image language.

Would you guys never change the way you speak to suit the audience you are performing to?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I use scripting as a guide. I tend to go off script when it’s called for,, but using a script makes sure that my sequences are logical, and the lines that work best aren’t left out. I script everything I perform, and constantly edit, write, and rewrite my routines.
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2018, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Ricardo:
For casual performances (which is all I ever do as a hobbyist), I never stick rigidly to a script or word-for-word delivery. It's more like a speech, I jazz around a scripted presentation, adjusting as needed.

That is my case. I'm not a pro. And that makes me feel a bit less worried, because as I'm not getting paid, there is no real obligation of doing the exact same thing. Like concerts (don't know if its a good comparison).

And it's close to what I do. Thanks for the advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Actually" in Card patter (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL