The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Actually" in Card patter (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2018, jakeg wrote:
I use scripting as a guide. I tend to go off script when it’s called for,, but using a script makes sure that my sequences are logical, and the lines that work best aren’t left out. I script everything I perform, and constantly edit, write, and rewrite my routines.

Yes! I recently started to do that. I'm reworking the effects I really like, working a better patter, a better premise, a better script, and in some cases, even better sleights (better in this case, relative to context). The thing I noticed is that sometimes there is something missing, that could aid in the logical connection between phases or moves. When everything flows it's harder to fall on the traps of... hmm... like... actually fumbling with words.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3466 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I do change how I perform based on my audience.

If it were always the same, I would be performing at the audience.

The audience has a part in the performance, a little like a dance partner.

-Mary Mowder
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1755 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Very well put Mary! With, not at! Smile
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2526 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2018, danaruns wrote:As for "excellent" in response to a spectator doing something, I guess that would be stupid if it is repeated over and over, but I like the idea of complimenting spectators for a job well done, even if it's something dreadfully simple, like choosing a card. I think that builds rapport and credibility, and gets good feelings flowing with your audience in a conspiratorial, collaborative way. After all, the audience has a part in this play

Maybe it depends upon your performance style.

I like to fill in the gaps of boredom with one liners, such as:

"Take a card, wonna keep that one - OK thanks, that's a quid (dollar) please".

"Can you sign it for me". They often reply "what write on it"? "Well yeah, that's maybe why I've just given you a pen (roll eyes) - you're paying me a quid for it.....you can do want you want with it".

Or if it's going to be unsigned "now please don't forget it.....I'd hate you to look stupid later".

These sort of lines are probably frowned upon by many; very possibly by people that don't perform at weddings or parties where people are half-sloshed. But the crux of the issue is HOW they are delivered. If it's with a smile, and the right facial expresssion, etc. then people DO laugh along with you. They are then ALL part of the act - not just the one volunteer. And, more importantly, they DON'T forget their card (something which I've noticed when watching other people work these days - as without their mobile/cell phones to hand, younger people appear to now have the retention span of a newt).

A few gags keep the thing running and kill off the dead spots - it's called entertainment. It's got to be more engaging than "take a card....exxxxxxcellent, remember it....wonnnnnnderful, now put it back......exxxxxxcellent".

Maybe it's different but with UK audiences, you've got to stay on top of them or they'll eat you alive.

Plus most Brits tend to love sarcasm - it's one of the few things we're good at. Smile
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Hack lines delivered with a smile are still hack lines.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2495 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Mike Powers had a great suggestion. Take a look at Teaching Magic by Eugene Burger. It's a terrific resource, no matter where you might be on your journey in magic.

Then, try this. Make an audio recording of every performance that you give. Wait at least 24 hours before you listen to it. Focus on one effect that you want to improve, and make a word-by-word transcription of your performance.

Then, as my friend Eugene Burger used to say, read your words with brutal honesty. It won't be hard to figure out what you need to do next.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2526 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I wonder whether Eugene Burger ever performed in a pub full of tattoed geezers, half sloshed, after England had just lost at football?
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1755 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Sounds a tough gig. I wouldn't bother with that one! Smile
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, Merc Man wrote:
I wonder whether Eugene Burger ever performed in a pub full of tattoed geezers, half sloshed, after England had just lost at football?

Probably not. I think he had standards.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1403 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:

So sports fans aren't good enough for entertainment?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2495 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know about that particular situation, but he did do a fair amount of bar magic early in his career. Eugene used to tell a story about how he was once hired to do a private party for a cruise on Lake Michigan. He had carefully prepared for an evening of sophisticated walk-around magic. When he boarded the ship, he discovered that the party had been in progress for several hours, and there was an open bar! He tried performing for several groups of people, but it just wasn't going well. "Then," as he told me, "I had a revelation: I was the only one at this party who wasn't having a good time!" He laughed at his situation, and he decided to loosen up. He re-grouped, set aside the material that he had prepared for a thinking audience, and broke out the bar magic effects that he used to do for drinking audiences. From that point, he had fun playing with the audience, and the rest of the gig went well.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
danaruns
View Profile
Elite user
The City of Angels
484 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, BarryFernelius wrote:

I don't know about that particular situation, but he did do a fair amount of bar magic early in his career. Eugene used to tell a story about how he was once hired to do a private party for a cruise on Lake Michigan. He had carefully prepared for an evening of sophisticated walk-around magic. When he boarded the ship, he discovered that the party had been in progress for several hours, and there was an open bar! He tried performing for several groups of people, but it just wasn't going well. "Then," as he told me, "I had a revelation: I was the only one at this party who wasn't having a good time!" He laughed at his situation, and he decided to loosen up. He re-grouped, set aside the material that he had prepared for a thinking audience, and broke out the bar magic effects that he used to do for drinking audiences. From that point, he had fun playing with the audience, and the rest of the gig went well.

Great story! Smile

Yes, I remember very well Eugene telling me very seriously that, "There are two kinds of audiences: Thinking audiences, and drinking audiences. Make sure you match your material to the audience." Now maybe I know where that came from. Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

So sports fans aren't good enough for entertainment?

Don't lump all sports fans in with tattooed, half-sloshed geezers.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1403 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I'm tattoo'd and sometimes half-sloshed. Do I not deserve entertainment?

My point is you're being judgmental.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Quote:

I don't think the advice from Eugene Burger is audience sensitive. It makes sense, and seems like a good way to improve, practice, rehearse and even think about improvisation. Even for a drinking (and maybe sad?) audience, you can use the method to improve your speech and patter. The final on to judge if the patter is in tone with the audience is you, not Eugene.

Love British sarcasm, by the way. Not everybody gets that here in Brazil though.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
I'm tattoo'd and sometimes half-sloshed. Do I not deserve entertainment?

My point is you're being judgmental.

Same here! Pleasure.

Merc Man was making a judgement call about Burger's lack of performance stamina and un-applicable theory. A judgment's a judgement's a judgement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Actually" in Card patter (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL