The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DL subtleties: best DVD for learning? Montier/Daryl/others? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
176 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I've been doing DL's forever but I'm still not really happy with my technique. Not that I ever get caught, but when I recently purchased Identity by Richard Sanders and watched his beautiful and natural handling of cards, including the DL, I decided: I'm going to practice my butt off and set this straight. Smile However, I'm not shure what would be the best source for information. Daryl has beautiful DL's in his ACR and I noticed that no5 of his Card Sleights DVD Series he teaches DL's. But there's also a DVD entirely devoted to the subjest: The Double Lift Project by Liam Montier. Can anybody that owns one or -even better- both help me with some advice? Maybe there are alternatives that I'm not aware of? I'd be happy to learn! I'm especially interested in getting better at getting the break with just the left hand (not using the right). BTW I don't have RRTCM or CC, but I would suspect they are not as in-depth as the aforementioned DVD's. Thanks so much in advance!
Whatever you do, don't become the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about...
kShepher
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
154 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Well, I ordered Double Take by Gregory Wilson. I've heard it is the very best out there. Unfortunately, a place called the Magic Depot has not delivered it yet... almost a month later.

Google that, though. People love it.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Thanks kShepher! I read somewhere else on this forum that Greg's DVD is more trick-orientated and focuses less on the DL itself. Would you say so as well? Did you watch Daryl's or Liam's?
Good luck btw with your order... that's not fun, waiting for so long... . I hope you get it soon.
Whatever you do, don't become the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about...
kShepher
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
154 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I did not know that it is trick oriented. I heard the opposite.

If these fools ever get it to me maybe I'll find out.

Penguin only from now on.
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Not really what you asked, but I believe Ron Bauer's TTT is a really good DL. Check his demo on his site.

http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com

I also really like one on Expert Card Technique that, as the TTT does not require a break. I'll check the name and page later, as I don't have it with me right now.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Thank you, Ricardo! That DOES look like beautifully natural and smooth. I am going to order Ron Bauer's lecture!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4129 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Gregory Wilson’s Double Take was the (then vhs tape) that took my card magic to a new level. It looks like He carries the dvd on his site too now
https://thesecretsource.com/gregs-gadgetry/double-take
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4129 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Gregory Wilson’s Double Take was the (then vhs tape) that took my card magic to a new level. It looks like He carries the dvd on his site too now
https://thesecretsource.com/gregs-gadgetry/double-take

Although this dvd is the one I would personally suggest, it seems to be getting harder to find. With that in mind, and if you cannot find a copy, I will say that even though I have not seen the “Double Lift Project” with Liam Montier. It should be the next in my line of suggestions. I base this on other projects he has done that I do own and like.
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
I have the Double Take DVD listed for sale here (or PM me for details):

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=77
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
I'd recommend putting in the time to become proficient with the pinky count. I'd definitely say it's an essential move for anyone serious about sleight of hand with playing cards. There are lot's of sources, but I learned it from Darwin Ortiz who teaches it very well. He goes over it in his At The Card Table book and DVD (I forgot which volume, but probably #1) and his penguin lecture (not as in depth of a tutorial, but he does explain it and goes over some helpful tips). It's not a difficult move at all, it's just a muscle that you have to develop. Spend about 2 weeks carrying a deck of cards everywhere and practicing and you should be good.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2550 Posts

Profile of warren
I would go with Daryl as he teaches a few different variations.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

I ended up ordering the complete Big Blind Media set by Liam Moniter... Smile. It's very good, I must say. However, I recently also discovered 52kards.com. I would have enrolled there instead if I had known of it before. The teaching is great and there are more sleights on it, e.g. all kinds of palms (the BBM DVD set I bought doesn't cover the subject of palming). Even the elusive lateralal palm gets explained very well...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7953 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Have to give a big thumbs up to the mention of "52 Kards" here, he is really a great teacher and worker. His YT site is what's good about You Tube when it comes to magic. A lot of people there get it wrong, but I think he gets it right in a BIG way! I'm a fan. Smile

And as to learning the DL...I think my best learning on the subject came from Jonathan Kamm's, Double Lift Protorial on it.

To me, it's the only DL you need, and he does it so very well, and with his clear & concise teaching so can you. Smile It's the only DL I use, and it can be done right off shuffling the cards very naturally.

Kamm is a working pro that is a superb closeup man with a specialty as to cards...and with all due respect, ain't nobody out there doing this stuff day-in & day-out any better IMHO. The man does this stuff everyday and shares with you everything to make it happen as he makes it happen (just add some good practice), right before their very eyes. Smile I'm not kidding, you'll see this develop in your own hands and marvel at it as you become able to do it on a dime, without much of any thought. It happened to me. Smile

I am a proud student of his teaching and I can tell'ya by example, my DL is pretty darn good behind Kamm's teaching on it, and that's saying something after a journey of magic, and for mostly being a decent-at-best coin guy. Smile

I continue to Highly Recommend this...Check it out and see why. Smile

http://jonathankamm.wixsite.com/kammagicshop
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Thank you, Mb! Haven't yet talked to you on this forum, but really enjoyed some of your posts in the coins threads! Smile

Thanks so much for helping me with your advice to check out JK's website. I had also found it in my search for DL-education (but not easily!). I agree he is an absolute technical wizard, his skills are just amazing. And I love the fact he puts so many video's on the net, it is indeed a treat to watch a real Worker at Work! His Toibox is still very high on my list of I-wanna-learn-that-list... Have you tried that?

I did, however decide to not purchase his DL tutorial... The reason being (and to be clear, I'm stating a very personal opinion here, not a fact, dogma or attempt at convincing you to agree with me)... his right index finger is completely stretched out when he approaches the deck. For some reason that looked a bit too "magicky" to me. And just like you mentioned, I think you only need one DL. So I wanted to make sure that all those hours of practicing would go into the DL I think personally looks best. That ended up being Daryl's DL, the one he uses in his ACR (most of the time). I feel SUCH a nerd right now, I think in English this is called splitting hairs... But it's the small details that deserve the most attention, right? Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7953 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome to the Café, and thanks for the kind words here, Mask... Smile

I have to agree, Kamm is quite exceptional and his many videos prove it over & over again. Speaking of ACR, his is as good as it gets for me. Smile No ACR (IMHO) has to be any better to be absolutely great, as he does it. I like that Kamm does all this in real time for people, so you know it works perfectly.

I do believe any little idiosyncrasy you happen upon from his hands is something that is not noticed in real time, the way you (magicians) might zero-in on a particular part of the mechanics. I remember in the coin forum once as to a BIG debate regarding finger movement when doing the Retention Pass. I always thought it was about as you describe here, "just splitting hairs," as the larger motion of the hands covered any such discrepancy from specs. But to each his own in that and in everything. Smile

As to "what's best for you," I always suggest doing just that, so go for what you know and what you're most comfortable with. Smile

Again, thanks for the good words and enjoy the Café, it's a wonderful place. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

I will! Hope to talk to again you soon!
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1575 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Https://store.theory11.com/products/doub......-england

I rarely post anything about my own stuff, but I was pretty happy with the DL download I produced with Theory11. Contrary to what the written description says, if memory serves there is actually 5 different techniques shown on the video, not 4.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Thanks, Jason. That looks good, wish I'd seen it before. Looks very nicely produced and you certainly can't beat the price! I searched the net quite thoroughly, I'm surprised I didn't come across it. Would 've purchased it for sure.
kShepher
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
154 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I just bought this after seeing it existed.

Jason...you fixed my double lift issues within 2 minutes. I love the Dr. Daley, so natural. I have Stars I'd Magic, but seeing it on video opened my mind. You can bevel the deck to the right! Duh!!

Still watching, but already...thank you.
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
824 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, kShepher wrote:
Well, I ordered Double Take by Gregory Wilson. Unfortunately, a place called the Magic Depot has not delivered it yet... almost a month later.

What was the final outcome.

Same happen to me, they lied for months, I got all my money back (Thank you PayPal). I don't know how they stay in business.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DL subtleties: best DVD for learning? Montier/Daryl/others? (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL