The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin info (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1477 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
What coins other than an English penny are the same size as a US half dollar coin?
I need to find some the same size as a half dollar fairly cheap.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1773 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1773 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1773 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
And the advanced search here will let you specify diamter: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
That all depends on how how cheap "cheap" is, and how close in size you need. Also how many you want.

English Pennies are technically a touch larger. Mexican 20 Centavos are a bit smaller, but also fit the bill - they're commonly used in Scotch & Soda sets.

Are you asking because English Pennies are too expensive? Then you won't find anything else better - though if you buy them from the right source you can get them from $0.50 - $1.50 (try a local coin shop, or ebay) rather than the $3.00 magic stores try to get you for.
Nothing really beats the $0.50 for the half dollar.

If you're willing to spend more, some other options open up (like the East African Dimes) but they're less common, so it's tougher to find large numbers of them that match. And then it all adds up.
Signet
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Signet
Here's a question that seems to fit in here. Is there a copper coin that is the same diameter or close to an Eisenhower or Morgan dollar? This would make for good transposition effects with larger coins. I checked the chart mentioned, but didn't find anything.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1773 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2018, Signet wrote:
Here's a question that seems to fit in here. Is there a copper coin that is the same diameter or close to an Eisenhower or Morgan dollar? This would make for good transposition effects with larger coins. I checked the chart mentioned, but didn't find anything.

If it doesn't need to be a genuine coin, Google for 1oz Copper Rounds -- you'll find all kinds of designs.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
There are also dollar sized pennies you can get (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13719)
Though I never understood why that costs more than the copper rounds.

Tango also uses a (replica) St Gauden coin in some of their dollar-sized gaffs (C/S, SCB [sic; they flipper the one coin], TUC, etc) and I think there might be a way to get extras on their own.

If it has to be real, you'll have the same problems as getting any less common coin - hard to find or expensive.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1477 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Thanks for all the info.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Signet
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Signet
I appreciate all the suggestions. I ordered some dollar sized fake pennies from Rings and things. I found out about them on another thread on here. I think they'll be great for Color changes ECT.. I like the feel free the dollar sized coins. Half's feel too small in my hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin info (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL