The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings to all! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mroek
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of mroek
Hi,

Just registered here, and thought I'd write a few introductory lines about me.

I've always been interested in, and fascinated by, magic and illusions, and as a teenager I bothered
my surroundings with various magic tricks. I also had a few local performances where I lived, but never
with big audiences.

Then life came in the way for a great many years, and now I've been thinking about dabbling a bit in magic again.
Just as a small hobby though, and any performances would just be for the family, I guess.

The main reason for the sparked interest is that in the last couple of years I've been creating a lot of stuff (no magic)
with my 3D-printers, and I suddenly realized one day that 3D-printing is well suited for creating magic props and tricks.
A search online showed that this may not yet be very popular, but I found Kent Bergmanns website, where he sells
3D-printed magic tricks. His designs are inspiring, and even if I'm just a hobbyist, I've become quite experienced in 3D CAD
design for 3D-printing (because you have to design for the intended production technology), so I think creating magic props
is entirely within my capabilities. That's probably the easiest part, having a good idea might be more difficult. Re-creating
stuff (at least re-using the working principles) is most likely the way to go in the beginning.

I've looked a bit at a few Tenyo tricks, and many of those are inspiring. Some I can guess how they work, many (most, to be honest) I can't.

Ah well, that's a brief intro, we'll just have to see what happens going forward. Smile
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Welcome to the Magic Café.

I could see development of some magic with a 3-D printer.

Keep me updated on your 3D printing.

Best,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3555 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Mroek,

When you performed, was it a mix of Close-Up and Stand-Up?

How do you learn to program a new design into a 3D printer?

3D printing is really like living in a Sci-Fi world. Very cool.

-Mary Mowder
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of mroek
Hi,

I'd say what I did was really mostly close-up, trying to pair it with some humor. Not in the category of stand-up, by a long shot. This was a very long time ago (yelp, I'm middle-aged!), so memory is a bit like a swiss cheese going some odd 30 years back. Smile

Designing in 3D takes some time to learn, but there are myriads of online tutorials for the various software packages, so with some persistence I think everyone can learn. To really master it is a bit like magic, it takes practice, and there's always something new to learn. In my case, being an engineer and a tinkerer probably helps a bit.

3D-printing is for me very rewarding, to materialize what I created in the computer is just immensely satisfying.

Here's a video of one of my creations (completely unrelated to magic, so I hope posting it here is still OK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xqgKDur2Vw

My first project of video-editing too (yet another skill I'm trying to learn).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings to all! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL