The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » You only have time for one effect per-table FOR CHILDREN..what is it ? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
The answers on the other thread were outstanding! But I thought it would be good to get some answers more specific for children.

As for me, I don't think anything can beat Sponge Bunnies. Not only is it baffling, I'm pretty sure its impossible to do this routine without producing a smile...and isn't that the most important job of an entertainer?

But please, tell me, what is your 'must do' for children?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Rabbit from hat silk routine. I've added bits of business and jokes to make it very entertaing for the kiddies.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP! It aint WHAT ya do! --It's HOW ya do it!

I doubt that that little trick would get you a spot on "We fooled Penn & Teller", but it would surely make some little kid's day!

"Them there" bits of business, and jokes are what "make" the PRESENTATION!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Speaking of "only time for one trick", my dear old friend, the late, J.B. BOBO stopped at a traffic light, along side of a car full of high school kids. (I think that every kid in East Texas, and West Arkansas, had seen Bobo's school show, at least once, if not twice! The kids (all high schoolers) laughed a friendly laugh, and yelled? "BOBO! SHOW US A TRICK!) J.B., like a good Boy Scout was PREPAREDl He held up his left hand, and pulled off his left thumb! The kids laughed, and, applauded. Then the light turned green. (There was only time for ONE TRICK!!!)

Would you have thought of "that old trick"?

It aint WHAT ya do! eh?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My partner Tom does the best taking off his thumb bit I've ever seen. His timing and sense of fun make it amazing. Who'd a thunk such a throw away could be done well.

-Mary
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
My partner Tom does the best taking off his thumb bit I've ever seen. His timing and sense of fun make it amazing. Who'd a thunk such a throw away could be done well.

-Mary

The price is right too! Smile
www.KenNorthridge.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Sponge balls seem to be my most popular effect with children
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Ken, what's your preference for sponge bunnies--the old Adams' style bunnies or the 3d variety for handling?

Bruce
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Chop cup..... with a double load finale
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, bkmeyer wrote:
Ken, what's your preference for sponge bunnies--the old Adams' style bunnies or the 3d variety for handling?

Bruce

Definitely 3D. Nice to hear from you again Bruce!
www.KenNorthridge.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Mary wrote:

Quote:

This is a trick that anyone interested in magic knows but almost no one actually takes the time to make it look right. It is a very convincing illusion. I do it for children all the time and I can tell it often fools the adults looking on too.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Mary wrote:

Quote:

This is a trick that anyone interested in magic knows but almost no one actually takes the time to make it look right. It is a very convincing illusion. I do it for children all the time and I can tell it often fools the adults looking on too.

YES! All it "takes" is a wee bit of SHOWMANSHIP! Too many wannabee magicians, read about those "little" effects in books by the old masters, and ignore them, 'cuz performing them, requires more than just reading those instructions.

I vividly remember an old vaudeville acrobat (who also could knock your socks off with some of those "old bits") He was the first to show me what is called the "Balducci levitation", in the very early '50s. --Art Eason (possibly Sonny Narvaez will remember, Art) also made a real mystery of the ancient, "pencil, wand ruler, table knife, etc." clinging to the performer's palm with fingers open and extended. It's what we all called a "corn flakes box trick", but Art made it into a mystery!

Mr. Hinton, an old (to me! --I was just in my early 20s, and he must have been at least 40) part time pro'. in Norfolk, PERFORMED the ancient small coin in the hat routine (sound effects provided by a "snap" of the finger to simulate the coin falling into the hat.) He absolutely fascinated kids with this bit. --Just a wee bit of SHOWMANSHIP!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
May be we should put up a new p topic called 'You only have time for one effect per-table FOR CHILDREN other than sponge bunnies..what is it ?'

Sponge bunnies are perfect packs small, plays big, multi phase and instant reset it is perfect.

The thing I would choose to do is egg bag. Has all the same qualities as above. I like it as I can drop and and a few phases and I can switch a few handling around as well.

that's my bit to add to the pot!
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! I told my egg bag "story" in my book. When I first saw an egg bag "demonstration", I was ABSOLUTELY -UN-IMPRESSED. THEN, I "experienced", SENOR CHARLES MARDO'S P-E-R-F-O-R-M-A-N-C-E, of that venerable old trick, in 1951. I spent $2.50 the next day. (It "came" with a wooden egg!)

Eventually, I wore it out! It was replaced by a Jeff Busby "$50.00" egg bag. (the "Rolls-Royce" of the Sterling/Mardo egg bag!) It had taken a year or two, to develop "my" routine, but, I did. I've performed it now, for 65 years.

I "second" Yellow Custard's "motion"!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:

Bruce

Bev Bergeron made me a 3d set...I like them, much better.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:

Bruce

Bev Bergeron made me a 3d set...I like them, much better.

Are they still available?
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I don't think so. (It was a personal favor (we're old friends.)
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
I don't think so. (It was a personal favor (we're old friends.)

That was a tease then. Smile
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Not really Ken. I just mentioned Bev, in passing, and, certainly didn't mean to tease.

Bev made them in just a few minutes. They were cute, but not Michelangelo "quality"!
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
Sponge balls. I can do between 2-8 minutes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » You only have time for one effect per-table FOR CHILDREN..what is it ? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL