The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Getting Started (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And I can get back to not taking anything you say the least bit seriously.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Did you ever took anything I said seriously? I don't think so... I was just trying to bring a different point of view to the discussion, but you don't seem interested in discussing: you know better than me and you want to talk and not listen.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes. You being mean didn't stop conversation at all. It was totally everyone else.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
When was I mean?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, Adrien L. wrote:

And that comment about the pocketwatch-swinging-hypnotist was just to be mean, sorry about that but I couldn't help myself Smile

Do you even read your own posts? How can you be taken seriously?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
<sigh> I really shouldn't step in here but.....

For the record: Did you know you don't have to be a Doctor to get sued for malpractice? All you have to do is misrepresent what you are doing or offering and you can get sued for malpractice.

Did you know if you say you are doing hypnosis it can lead people to having certain expectations from you and those expectations can get you into a lot of trouble when you present them falsely.

Hypnosis is a very specific term for something. To say you are doing hypnosis (trance work, etc)can lead you into a problematic situation if you are not actually trained to deal with it.

So yes, the PROFESSIONALS on this page recommend getting real life training. Not reading a book and picking the things you like out of it, but really learning.

Saddest to me is most hypnosis training cost less then an illusion and you can get an entire show out of it instead of 4 minutes.

Ok, that's my 2cents.
Kevin Lepine
Hypnosis Unleashed-THE Vegas Hypnosis Show
www.Kevinlepine.com
www.VegasHypnosisShow.com
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Yeah, that was the one and only mean comment on the whole thread, right? It wasn't even a reply to a meaner comment, right?

The guy to which the comment was addressed, the one that told me I was practicing hypnosis on unstable women wasn't mean at all. Neither you telling me what I do is crap... or telling me you think I don't understand english... or telling me I'm behaving like a 3rd grader...

Yeah, you're right... it was my comment, 20 posts above, that made the "conversation" stop...

Funny thing is the OP probably isn't even reading anymore... But I think I made my point clear and, since no one tried to show me my point of view is wrong, I'll assume I'm doing it right. So, what about we all behave like grown ups, and I apologize for being mean and just shut up?

Quote:
On Jan 15, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, Adrien L. wrote:

And that comment about the pocketwatch-swinging-hypnotist was just to be mean, sorry about that but I couldn't help myself Smile

Do you even read your own posts? How can you be taken seriously?
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
As a matter of fact, yes many do a problem with telling people you can read their minds. There are so many things you 've said in this post that are simply wrong and inaccurate.

So now you're saying that when a magician or mentalist forces a card and claims to divine it from 'reading the persons reaction' then the entire magic and mentalism community disapprove?
By that logic then reading someones thought from the ashes of burnt paper is wrong too. As would be a headline prediction since you're misleading your audience into believing you can genuinely predict the news. Allow me to quote 13 steps:
Quote:
The spectator is invited to think of a word and write it on a slip of paper. The paper is burnt and from the ashes the Mentalist reads the chosen word. (pp166)

Given how much credit 13 steps is given then of course misleading is acceptable.

Quote:
The next thing you have wrong, is no, we are not all magicians here. That again would be your own perception, and assumption and incorrect.

Apologies for lack of clarity here, by we I meant the collective body of magicians who perform what their audience want to see.
And the magicians job is to mislead and entertain. For example if I levitate a banknote/bill, I'm implying that I have telekinesis. Obviously I don't, but that's how magic works.

Quote:
In the end there are so many different aspects of magic available, one does not have to make a mockery or misrepresent hypnosis when there are many other options and themes to work with.

I'm not sure if in America you know of the likes of Derren Brown and Martin S Taylor? However another reason that's just come to mind as to why in the UK magicians want to learn a certain style of hypnosis and suggestion which you don't consider proper is that in the UK if people talk about hypnotists, the public think Derren Brown. In UK when people want to see a hypnotist they want to see the type of performance put on by Derren, which although mightn't fit your definition of hypnosis since its a mixture of sleight of hand, magic, mentalism and a small amount of hypnosis, that's what people want from the get go.

One last thing on Hypnosis found on the Café that supports my points.
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Stunninger wrote:
Richard says in the trailer, at 1:05, 'Imagine being able to hypnotize someone on the spot and give them the suggestion where they can't pull their hands apart or speak their own names. I'm going to teach you how to do that in this step.'

It's stated quite clearly the buyer will be taught how to hypnotize someone in this lesson. The ad doesn't say anything about 'fake magician hypnosis' or imply the buyer will be taught some type of pseudo hypnosis. No mention of that at all.

So why would a potential buyer be left with any impression other than they are going to learn how to hypnotize others?

I practiced and taught hypnosis for many years. One persistent fact remains: there is no clear, agreed upon definition of hypnosis. There is also no universally agreed upon set of criteria for determining if a person is hypnotized or not. The debate between 'state' and 'non-state' theories has never been resolved. Read any college Psych 100 text book and you will find this to be well documented.

What is hypnosis? How do you know if a person is actually hypnotized? Theories and opinions are plentiful. Many contradict one another. There are those adamant there is no such thing as hypnosis, and that any response which may be elicited with a formal hypnotic induction can also be elicited without any induction at all. There is some evidence to support this. Read 'They Call it Hypnosis' by Robert Baker, a researcher and university professor. One passage from the book:

"Strictly speaking, every time the word 'hypnosis' is used it could be placed in quotation marks. This is because there is no such thing as hypnosis. The point and purpose of this book is to convince the reader that the phenomenon called 'hypnosis' does not exist, has never existed in the past, and will not exist in the future. What is commonly called and referred to today as 'hypnosis' is a fallacy, that is, a false and mistaken idea handed down from generation to generation..."

Kreskin has said this for years.

Martin Taylor has performed a complete show of 'Hypnotism without Hypnosis' for many years. He elicits all of the same responses from his volunteers as stage hypnotists do, but without the use of any hypnotic induction.

I know, I know, this thread is not about the debate of does hypnosis exist or not, it's about Richard Osterlind's Penguin download. The points above are made for a reason. There are those who firmly, deeply believe that to learn hypnosis requires much more than a 33 minute download from Penguin Magic, that a full course of instruction is needed, lasting many weeks or months. Well, they can, and are going to, believe what they want, of course.

However, there are many others who disagree, and believe there's really not that much to learning how to hypnotize, and are quite comfortable teaching the entire process in 30 minutes. I could easily teach one definition of hypnosis, how to do suggestibility testing, and a hypnotic induction in under 15 minutes, and then demonstrate the elicitation of 'hypnotic phenomena' for another 15. Easy.

I'm not interested in trying to change anyone's mind. Believe what you want.

I'm not interested in debating anyone. This will be my only post in this thread.

The field of hypnosis is quite controversial. There are almost as many different definitions of hypnosis as their are hypnotists. There are many different ways to explore and begin learning. Robert Baker's book would be one really good place to start.

(http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=303&topic=597593#10)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There is far more than that which supports your position.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And it is not a certain style of hypnosis. It is not hypnosis at all.

The problem is you want to make up definitions. Why not go to the magic section and learn all sorts of ways to dress up magic tricks as hypnosis?

Kevin is right about what he posted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Usual suspects here again, no wonder this sub forum is dead. I do learn from many of their posts, but I am surprised anyone comes back here due to their abrasiveness. And I would love to get in person/formal training; but that isn't in the cards right now for this rural Kentucky boy. I did exactly what was criticized on this thread, I went up to complete strangers and learned how to hypnotize. Best thing I could have done; I wasn't progressing continually pouring over my materials. I used mostly Anthony Jacquin's materials and some of James Tripp's work. (Big fan of James Brown's work too ... he does a lot more magic than hypnosis, though.)

I detailed my experiences here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=22&27
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So I assume Kevin is now one of the usual suspects because he agrees with us?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
So I assume Kevin is now one of the usual suspects because he agrees with us?

Man you're just being stupid for no reason at all now... You're opinion isn't defo the law mate 😂
Different people hold different opinions, and if someone asks a question you don't talk about how they're ruining your career by asking the question or about why you don't think they should ask, you either make an answer or you keep your mouth shut
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm being stupid?

Please quote for me where I said anyone ruined my career or affected it in any way. Show me where I said not to ask a question.

I asked if Kevin was now one of the usual suspects. According to your own post either make an answer or keep your mouth shut.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
It's been almost a month since a post has been made in this thread and as a general observation it seems that there are a few bullies here/ That's not a judgment but an observation. Why can't an exchange of ideas be a respected communication value? Is the subject of hypnosis to be dominated by one or two people on the Café? It just seems so counter to the mandate of the site and intellectual exchange.

Threads stop when comment get personal instead of cerebral and I hope members will keep talking about the topics and not get pulled into these useless tit for tat moments.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Like when you stalk members to other sections just to argue and insult?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Like when you stalk members to other sections just to argue and insult?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Anything to keep your name on the index page huh? It must be hard having only your opinion of yourself to stroke your ego? It's OK. Your going to be fine. I'll pray for you. God Speed.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That 16 hours of hypnotherapy training really makes you think you are a psychologist doesn't it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Getting Started (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL