The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Clayton Cavaness Subtrunk Plans (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
As some of you may recall from many of my older posts from 2010-2011-ish, I am doing some extensive research on the Subtrunk and working on a book. With marriage, building a house, kids,...life, I put that project on hold. My new years resolution this year is to finally complete this project I started on so long ago. I'm incredibly interested in this specific model of trunk. If anyone has built one from the plans or has the plans and would be willing to PM or email me, I would greatly appreciate it. If you look at my website, you can see at the bottom of my "Testimonies Page" (and my profile photo here on the Café') that I am already a Subtrunk owner so I am not looking for someone to give me plans so I can "build my own at someone else's expense." I would like to offer as much information about various models out there. (I would be more than happy to credit you in the book if you would like)

Thank you in advanced!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It sounds like you are being coy, with your words, so I am not understanding what you are getting at.

The late Paul Osborne, has 2 different plans for sub-trunks. I think that is about it. I can't remember if it is in Tarbell or not. Even though Paul Osborne is no longer with us, his website is still active, I would assume by his family.

It is said Houdini was famous for escaping from a trunk. He is credited for the most puzzling Canvas Covered Box, sold for many years by Abbott's Magic. No plans were ever made available for this version, and it has never been leaked to my knowledge.

Owen's Magic I believe have plans in their books Keep the Wheels Turning. Last I seen the books are $120.00 each. I believe the list of plans can be found on the Internet.

I believe there is plans in the 1960's Science and Mechanics magazine, which can be found on the Internet, contains a sub-trunk plan. This whole issue was plans for magic tricks.

To answer your last comment, there is not much difference in the wood models. The secret thing, is what is usually different in working. Of course I have seen trunks in regular travel trunks from years gone by, think huge Foot Locker, if you know what a Foot Locker is, now they make them in plastic, but the traditional models can be found.

Hopefully, what I have typed, will get you some food for thought and research. Outside of buying all the famous magician biographies of yesteryear, I don't know where to go from here, outside of taking to a lot of magicians with excellent memories.

Personally, I only know of one illusion builder that made a sub-trunk, he is no longer building, and his name escapes me.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
I have the Clayton Cavaness Subtrunk plans but am not interested in selling them at this time. I have at least 8-10 subtrunk plans in my library and my collection is certainly not complete. Plus there are multiple trap details in letters between various builders. There is a lot of underground info on the subtrunk that has not yet been published. Good luck in your efforts.
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Magic Researcher- how could I send you a PM or Email perhaps?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bryan Gilles, as you can see, the problem you will have is just like Magic Researcher's comments. I remember when Magic Researcher started on the Café, and he posted desires just like yours.

I don't know if you realize the efforts of research it takes to gather information, and write a book. Look up Ade Duval and Jarrow books written by David Charvet. He outlines the years it took to gather the information, trips to family, and those the knew these famous magicians. I don't think he posted a notice that everyone who had knowledge should send it to him, so he can write a book, and hopefully make a little profit from others knowledge.

As you say, you decided to make a family and buy a house. That project will take you a lifetime, and that is where all your knowledge and efforts should be directed for the rest of your life.

As far as Clayton Cavaness, you 1st research should be for him and his family, to see if any of them have information about him. That is what Charvet did, tracked down family, and went and talked to them. They had many old publicity information about Jarrow.

I never heard of Clayton Cavaness in my 60 years in magic.

I note that your life situation now has you so busy, you could not get back to the Café to respond. Ideas are wonderful, the Café is full of them, it is the work that is not so much, and gets in the way of creating a family and providing for them.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
It is definitely a labor of love. I've been working on this project since early 2010 and have corresponded with some wonderful people in the process. As I delve deeper and deeper into the subject I get the feeling that there are too many directions to take.

Bill- you posted:

Quote:
"I don't know if you realize the efforts of research it takes to gather information, and write a book. Look up Ade Duval and Jarrow books written by David Charvet. He outlines the years it took to gather the information, trips to family, and those the knew these famous magicians. I don't think he posted a notice that everyone who had knowledge should send it to him, so he can write a book, and hopefully make a little profit from others knowledge..."

This is not my intention- I'm just trying to do my homework as not to infringe on someone else's design Smile

Like yourself, I too have never heard of Clayton Cavaness I reached out to him via the email I was able to find and have not heard anything back yet.

I sent you a PM to give you a better description as to my goal.
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
Well everyone should have a google alert setup for their name. That is what lead me here today.

1. In my 50 years in magic I have never heard of Bill Herbli. lol I also do not know who lives across the street. Smile
2. I have heard of Bryan Gilles.

Bryan I sent you a friend request on facebook. I look forward to hearing for you.

That was easy....
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Haha! Doesn't get much better than this! I'll shoot you a PM Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Clayton Cavaness Subtrunk Plans (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL