The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Changing a short stack of large cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm working on a routine in which the kids will choose four or five cards with letters. The cards will be 5x8. The challenge is to change the chosen cards for one that spell the desired word.

I'd like to use something flat, like a tray or "in basket", instead of a box, so the cards are (mostly) visible the whole time. A box is easy, but allows too much of "you did something in there".

Suggestions?
Ed
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
363 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Not directly what you are looking for, but:

The switch of the snake cans in the routine of David Ginn fools totally, even magicians. So it would be possible to put the cards in an envelope, get for example a break-away-wand while the envelope can be seen, let one child hold this wand, say you get another wand for the other child, while the wand breaks and the audience laughs you change the enevelope and get the other wand and then let one child hold the (new) envelope. Two minutes later the audience has forgotten that the envelope was out of sight.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3527 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm not sure how this particular one works but I've made one myself that works fine. Since you only want 4 or 5 cards the stand would be a nice manageable size and display the backs of the cards throughout the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGavaC20KZ8

-Mary Mowder
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2492 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might want to check out "Force Field" from The Wizards' Journal #18.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I did not mention that you could have any cards chosen and they would "be" the right cards.

-Mary
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Mary:

I can see something like that working. Thank you!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Jim:

The Force Field description indicates only one card is selected. Can I have 10 cards face-down and 5 selected?

(BTW, your Amazon link to the Table Mate II needs updating - apparently they don't make that one anymore.)
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2492 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Ed: The answer is basically "Yes", but I sent you a PM with additional info you might need, and thanks for the update news- the link has been fixed.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
Russo
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Russo
I've done one where the desired word(cards) is on top of a deck of gient cards - with the rest in alphabetical order . I'd show the A(with the WORD"cards, behind the A, as 1 card ) then B C D E F -etc as far as you need to go. I'd have a number of kids up(4 letter word=4 kids -etc) then I'd square up the deck and have each kid hold a card from the top of the deck( card back to audience) saying A-B-C-D-etc. then ask the kids to turn there card to audience - A B C s became the WORD/ hope you understand??? Ralph(ruso)Rousseau
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Is the stack actually short cards? If so shuffle them to the bottom.

If they are not short cards, start with them on the bottom and hindu shuffle from the center of the stack drawing to the top (so as not to disrupt the bottom cards.

With the cards on the bottom and do a series of overhand shuffles asking them to say stop as you go. When they say stop draw one card from the bottom of the stack as you separate your hands and show them the bottom card and remove it. Throw the remainder to the top and repeat. till you get them all.

-Mary Mowder
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I only want to use 8 or 10 cards (depends if I need a 4 or 5 letter word). Show all cards as a mess of letters, then let kids (one at a time) pick one card to keep and one to discard. Next kid chooses amongst what remains, down to last cards. Show discards as a jumble; show keepers as the word. So: not a complete deck, jumbo or larger for visibility, switching all 4 or 5 cards at once.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:

With the cards on the bottom and do a series of overhand shuffles asking them to say stop as you go. When they say stop draw one card from the bottom of the stack as you separate your hands and show them the bottom card and remove it. Throw the remainder to the top and repeat. till you get them all.

-Mary Mowder

While I don't think this is the right move for your situation, I see I made a mistake that needs correcting.

If you are right handed, draw the bottom card of the right hand cards to the bottom of the left hand stack FIRST (with your left fingers) and continue drawing cards to the top of the left packet till they say stop. Then flash the bottom card of the left packet as the chosen card, remove it. Throw all the left cards onto the top of the right hand cards. Repeat this till you have all the cards.

-Mary Mowder
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2018, Ed_Millis wrote:
(depends if I need a 4 or 5 letter word).

Fist off, you might want to avoid using four letter words in a kids show. Smile

Get blank jumbo cards, put letters on them. Place the cards with the letters you want to force at the bottom of the deck and use the sliding key force from Royal Road.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Changing a short stack of large cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL