The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hand Care (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mordo58
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mordo58
I have been practicing card magic for a few months now and I have went through about 40 decks of standard bicycle playing cards. They are all clumped up and bent now from the excessive handling. I wash my hands before handling my cards but my hands sweat. I had just got volume one of card college and it talks about hand care briefly and the author mentions he uses an alkalie free ph7 soap. He also recommended to use hand creams from drug stores to keep hands dry.

I know I will probably have to experiment here with the various soaps to find one suits me but I was looking for suggestions or what other people here use regarding the soap they use and hand cream if they us it. The main problem is when searching for such soaps I could not seem to find any specifics except on websites I never heard of. If someone has any brands or websites or stores that they get theirs from and what works best for them I would greatly appreciate it.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1389 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I don't use any particular soaps. I d use O'keefe's Working Hands to keep my hands in good condition.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
664 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
What is the weather like at your practice area? Humidity like? Weather can destroy cards.

Also perhaps try a different kind of cards. I use to use Bikes, but switched to Phoenix Decks. They lasted me much longer then bikes.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2659 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Ray Bertrand wrote:
I don't use any particular soaps. I d use O'keefe's Working Hands to keep my hands in good condition.

Ray


DITTO
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1626 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
If your hands sweat, try a very basic hand sanitizer. Nothing with scents or whatever, as those leave a sticky residue, but if you can find simple sanitizer with alcohol, it will dry the skin.

I have very dry skin, and I also use O'Keefe's. In fact, I need to get more as I'm about to run out with this winter dry air.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Mordo58
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mordo58
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Ray Bertrand wrote:
I don't use any particular soaps. I d use O'keefe's Working Hands to keep my hands in good condition.

Ray

Thanks, I will try that.
Mordo58
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mordo58
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Andy Young wrote:
What is the weather like at your practice area? Humidity like? Weather can destroy cards.

Also perhaps try a different kind of cards. I use to use Bikes, but switched to Phoenix Decks. They lasted me much longer then bikes.


More dry then anything. Thanks I have been recommended trying tally ho's by a few different people who swear by them so those are the next deck I will probably buy.
Mordo58
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mordo58
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
If your hands sweat, try a very basic hand sanitizer. Nothing with scents or whatever, as those leave a sticky residue, but if you can find simple sanitizer with alcohol, it will dry the skin.

I have very dry skin, and I also use O'Keefe's. In fact, I need to get more as I'm about to run out with this winter dry air.


That sounds like a simple solution. I have some sitting about I will try. Thanks for the tip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hand Care (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL