The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking questions (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, LeoH wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2018, cbguy wrote:
Just go out and do it, you're gonna suck either way, guaranteed! Practice in front of people. You'll be in a practicum and you'll improve faster. The street is not about your sleights, its about entertainment. You can't learn that without doing it in a live situation.

This is probably the best advice given so far.

This is true. and...

What's GREAT about busking is it doesn't matter. There is no pressure.. no client to satisfy, not rent to pay, etc. You get out there, perform, and find out what works for you. You can try to make the most money... try to have the best magic... or land somewhere in the middle.
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I went out and I was very unprepared. It’s like I forgot everything. Some kids bombarded my table and would not stop asking to try the cups and keep on heckling me. They would not respect the space I tried to set. I finally just packed up and left. I was out maybe 45 minutes. I figure the worst has happened and just go out better prepared next time.

I will practice more and try again when I feel I can do my set in my sleep so I can have better crowd control.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
BlindWizard, Congratulations!!!! You didn't fail! DO NOT look at it that way. You just got experience. I have a great deal of respect for what you did because it takes a lot of courage to step out into the unknown and give it a go. Now,let's talk busking...

You were unprepared? How did that make you feel? What will you do different next time? You see, there is no way for you to be prepared for hat the street has in store and the only way to be prepared and gain that kind of confidence is to NOT give up and get back out there and keep working at it. That is very important.

It's like you forgot everything...YES!!! That's your nerves and you will remember more and gain confidence as you go along. The good thing about forgetting is that you are forced to improvise and that's an important part of the street. In time, it will look to the audience like you are improvising, but in reality, it will be planned improvising.

Kids bombarded your table? Hit them with a stick! NO, just kidding. That's the street. The street demands that you have total control of everything that's going on around you from kids bombarding your table, to airplanes flying over head, to an ambulance racing down the street. The only way to learn how to control these situations is to be out there doing what you're doing. Now you know that this is a possibility in the future, what will you do to keep it from happening?

Hecklers will be almost non-exsistant as you gain confidence and control and speaking of confidence, that is a MAJOR aspect to success on the street.

Do not wait until you can do your act in your sleep. You will just forget it all again when you get out there. If you keep at it, I promise it will get easier, but you've gotta keep putting in the time. My suggestion is to get back out there again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next...there is no easier or faster way to learn how to work the street.

Again, I'm very proud of you and I hope you will keep at it. I've been a full time busker for 18 years. Only recently have I decided to start moving inside (just this year, in fact), but even at that, I will be traveling and Iwill perform more than 300 street shows this year, which is about half of what I've done in the past.

Where are you located? If you are in the path or not too far off from my travels for the summer tour, I will make an effort to meet up with you and help you out. Also, feel free to PM me ,I'd be glad to share with you some you tube videos and information.

Again, congratulations and never give up!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
You lasted 45min and got home still with every thing! Well done good on you! You have gone a lot further then a lot people and your experience is not unheard of so pour a drop of something re group and get out there again.

As you prepare for next time just bare in mind yes smoother you are at performing your set the better you are to deal with kids, heckler and anything else. However to learn to deal with this only comes from experiencing it. Also the next time the grab kids might stay at home and the cute ones that laugh may come out. The heckler might say something you can work with or might be someone saying that was amazing!

Keep going and do get out on the street again soon.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, BlindWizard wrote:
I went out and I was very unprepared. It’s like I forgot everything. Some kids bombarded my table and would not stop asking to try the cups and keep on heckling me. They would not respect the space I tried to set. I finally just packed up and left. I was out maybe 45 minutes. I figure the worst has happened and just go out better prepared next time.

I will practice more and try again when I feel I can do my set in my sleep so I can have better crowd control.

Hey just wanted to add one thing I learned in my limited experience. Have a rope set up as a barrier between you and the audience. If a kid starts to come in I say "Back child... I'm allergic to kids..."

I watched a very seasoned performer use this technique once and it works great! The kid moves right back behind the line... really helps with audience control.

Keep up the good work!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2018, MagicDaveNYC wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, BlindWizard wrote:

Hey just wanted to add one thing I learned in my limited experience. Have a rope set up as a barrier between you and the audience. If a kid starts to come in I say "Back child... I'm allergic to kids..."

I watched a very seasoned performer use this technique once and it works great! The kid moves right back behind the line... really helps with audience control.

Keep up the good work!

If you have a few groups watching and kid comes in front of line stop your act. Your be surprised how the crowd can get behind you and deal with the kid. When do plan to go out.
Enjoy your magic,

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Anyone can go out and try it once.
Getting yourself to go out the second day, is the hardest.
So pack your bags and get back out there.

Let us know when you've gone out again.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Hi you done it you went out most only talk about it well done to you go out again
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I went out and did my wizard thing tonight for about an hour and a half.

I didn’t have my set organized so I just practiced my poi spinning till someone came up then I would do one or two of my tricks. I remembered to set a border with rope this time too.

My goals were:
1. To just get out there.
2. At least do one trick.

Both goals were met.

Next time I will work more on finding ways to stop people and try to make it through all three to four tricks for said people.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Communicate and make them curious.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Communicate and make them curious.

Yes! Communication!!! Too many magicians just talk TO, or AT, the group! Talk WITH them! Ask questions to get them to talk WITH YOU! When you do that, they are participating, and, they feel like they are "part of the show", not just observers!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Congrats on getting started, my friend! That's certainly the hardest part of all! Experience will come with time and persistence - you'll learn as you go.

One thing I've learned over the years... I've met many successful people..who are dumb as rocks, and about as talented. Likewise, I've met many EXTREMELY talented people who are broke and doing nothing with their lives. The difference between Success and Dreaming of Success is -taking action-! So, good on you! Smile

Now, bit of advice to take the edge off: The street is the best place to practice. Think of it this way...if the crowds don't like you, you'll never see 'em again anyway....and if they DO like you, you might even get PAID! It's a win-win for everyone, so don't sweat it and just give it your best! Smile

Keep us posted!
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Good job!!! I agree with other replies....you got over 1st hurdle now just go back and have a good time with it....remember the worst that can happen is they just walk away. You next audience is a few minutes away
Bruce
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Great work Blindwizard out and about!

Poi spinning is it great it has color and movement, also with a few basic pattern you can just keep going and going. don't forget you can be mobile as well steep out in to the path of people.

In 2005 I got back in to magic and soon wanted to take it out on the street. My confidence was not quite there in my magic. So I took out my Diablos and did what you just explained. This helped alot. As I went on I did find a few issues in moving from juggling to magic effected the crowd a bit. Also I was feeling the Diablos were a safety net yet getting in the way of what my aim was. So I dumped them after a year or two.

I am not saying you cant have a juggling element in your magic show but its a bout doing it mindfully. At the moment your just getting out there and working it and that is perfect. So bottom line keep doing what your doing go with what works for you. Also exposure helps get out a lot even on the quite days.

Great work very impressed.
Enjoy your magic,

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Had little brain storm around poi. I started with a list of what is great about poi- Colour, movement, repeatable, packs small, mobile, you can talk as you do it, can be set to music.

i then looked at environment I have seen poi- festivals, protest, raves, Māori culture, circus.

I then looked at the different types of poi- Long poi, short poi, sock poi, fire poi, LED poi, poi flags.

With this all in front of me and my mind thinking of using this as a edge build. I came up with the idea of using flag poi with the words either sewn or stenciled on saying Magic Show! And when you have your edge you could hang them up as signs.

Here is some flag poi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzOFHgFR......FHgFROM4
Here you can see Māori using poi to create sound and rytheum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CWJ04GNtT8

This is just a brain dump do what you like with it feel free to ingorn or ask for more.
Enjoy your magic,

Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Every day is a new adventure, you never know what to expect and always get the unexpected!
Great learning on the job experience.
I thoroughly enjoy it!
whocares
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of whocares
How long can you keep peoples attention? Busking is never about the magic, and your skills as magician,

It is about your ability to interact, engage, and retain your audience.

Are you a highly technically skilled magician? Good. But that doesn't mean spit on the street.

You need to be an Entertainer. You have to ooze confidence, friendliness and make them believe you trustworthy.

Then you need to deliver

Give them fun with magic. Effects that include them, physically or intellectually. 3-4 effects, with the finale being real closer works.

David
StarkRavingMatt
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of StarkRavingMatt
This thread makes me happy. checkerhead gave very, very, very good advice.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
The one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned is keeping a note book.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When Gene Anderson began performing, he always recorded his performances. Enroute home, after the show, he LISTENED! --for audience reactions, etc. He then tried to analyze why a gag or trick, perhaps, got less response than the previous time.

As Jake just said, carry a notebook. ASAP, after the show, write down your thoughts, on what played best, and, what needs work. My first shows, in the mid '40s, were OK, but, looking back, 70 years, the difference is "evident"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking questions (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL