We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Peek Deck DIY (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
Thousand Oaks, California
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I'm going to construct Taylor's Peek Deck. I'm going to make it from cheap dollar store 2 for a buck cards. They are cheap two ply slick cardboard and are slightly thinner than Bikes. When two of these cards are together they are still a bit flimsy. The full 52 card deck is only as thick as about 48 Bike cards. So about 7% thinner.

In Thompson's My Best it is stated that the spectator can overhand shuffle the peek deck so it can pass a causal handling. Part of my motive of the cheap cards is that they are thinner making a double a little less noticeable, second since the spec handles the deck it takes the heat off of the deck being a trick deck -- provided they don't discover the gimmick.

Soliciting opinions/feedback or real life experiences with handing out a peek deck? I'm even thinking of letting them fan the cards to see if their card is in the deck (the latter is I construct the deck well enough).
Bill08
View Profile
Elite user
Montreal
477 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Sounds interesting, what kind of adhesive are you using?
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2018, Bill08 wrote:
Sounds interesting, what kind of adhesive are you using?

I've done well with a very thin application of LocTite Go2 glue. I'm considering Elmer's Xtreme glue stick for this build to see how it does as it is a 50 cent deck lol!
Bill08
View Profile
Elite user
Montreal
477 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Thanks! I might try making one too - I first saw this type of deck in a Nathan Kranzo lecture, but I think it was the forcing variety, similar to a Svengali but he could shuffle it.
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Bill08, I posted for information on plastic decks to find out if any of those are thinner than regular pasteboards cards. I don't want to buy a bunch of plastic decks to find such a one, lol!
Bill08
View Profile
Elite user
Montreal
477 Posts

Profile of Bill08
There are also manipulator decks and Double Deckers. I have a manipulator deck, the whole 52 cards are as thick as 35 Bicycle cards, but the back design wouldn't work for a trick deck - actually says "magic" right on it!
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I finished the peek deck with dollar store cards a while back. Works pretty good. I used Elmer's Xtreme glue stick and used workable fixative on the sharpie markings so they wouldn't smear.

In the mean time I found out that the "Around the World" deck trick uses very thin plastic cards. Unfortunately I have not found a source for those cards with normal backs -- they would be perfect I think.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
Do you need plastic because plastic, or because they're usually thinner than cardboard? As Bill said, the Double Deckers (see Phoenix's from Card-Shark.de) crams 104 cards in a regular card case (even roughed, or glued in pairs, they say)...

I don't (yet!) know the Peek deck concept, do you need to make all the cards doubles or just one in a deck? If the latter, a Double Decker plus a few regular Phoenix decks and you'd have the material to build as many decks as you might need...
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hello Paul!
The deck I constructed is the Taylor Peek Deck. You hold the deck with faces to the spec and allow him to riffle with his finger from back to front and stop at any card and peek at its index.The deck is closed. The performer knows which card it is. Details of construction can be found in Thompson's "My Best" among other books.

The deck consists of 26 doubles.

They don't need to be plastic. I want thin cards. I wanted plastic because I supposed some of those are very thin, and I want all of the doubles of the peek deck to feel like one card if handed to the spec. The cheap dollar store deck I used has thin 2-ply cards and don't feel as suspect as a regular Bicycle double would.

Thanks for the reminder on double deckers... I'll check those out. I fixated on the manipulators in Bill's post and was turned off by the "magic" imprinted on the back! Smile
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2349 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I made one with Bicycles
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Bill08
View Profile
Elite user
Montreal
477 Posts

Profile of Bill08
These are the manipulation cards. Thin but suspicious back design
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/magic-tr......tifyAB=0
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Jerskin wrote:
I made one with Bicycles

I plan to make one with Bicycles also -- I like that as it is the deck which raises less suspicion. Of course, it won't hold up to causal handling by the spec -- they are likely to detect the double cards by feel. With the Bike version I won't hand the pack to the spec.

BTW, I did another trick with the cheap dollar store peek deck with my wife and allowed her to take it and overhand shuffle the deck. She didn't suspect a thing! Handed it back and I continued with the peek routine! It was pretty mystifying to her!
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Bill08 wrote:
These are the manipulation cards. Thin but suspicious back design

Thanks for the link, Bill. I think I'll get some of those anyway! Have you ordered from AliExpress? The price on some items are much better than the same on eBay!
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
In the mean time I found the following manipulation decks with different backs -- not blatantly "magic" lol !

Thanks again Bill for the info. I didn't realize manipulation decks would meet my requirements. I'm a returning amateur after a 55 year hiatus and back in the day (and today too) manipulation displays were not on my radar !

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-m......00001655

King Magic only:
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-m......dQuery=n
Bill08
View Profile
Elite user
Montreal
477 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Anytime Smile
nice decks, nice colours! thanks for the links
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Bill,

What is your experience with Alibaba? I've never ordered from there. Of course the free shipping is very slllooooooowwwwww I see.
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Another update on performance of my Dollar Tree DIY Peek deck. I went to the local magic fellowship in Ventura CA last Thursday (my first attendance since discovering the group) and presented the Peek deck routine to a couple of the members/attendees. I explained I used cheap decks as I am always dropping cards and getting them dirty, gummy etc. I said I don't do flourishes etc. as I am clumsy and even drop cards from this invisible deck -- which as a gag I proceeded to fan and pretend to drop cards during a dribble. Besides which I said these cards are very flexible and allow you to easily bend the cards and peek. perfect for mental effects.

I had one spec peek at a card three times and duly revealed the card he saw each time. He was impressed. I let him shuffle the cards and even handed him a single card when he wanted to see how flexible the cards were. He said yes, these are very flexible and thin. He didn't detect the double!

This is just one more test of the deck. But in two presentations it passed! Keeping my fingers crossed !
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
48 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
Docguitarman,

Good information, thanks for sharing.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1439 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Just looked this up in my copy of My Best. Looks like a great utility for several tricks. Of course, the same principle with a one way deck providing the peeked cards is a common concept, but some of the uses given are inspiring.

I am curious why you want thinner cards? The peek deck will be the same thickness as your starting deck, so I don’t get why you want it thinner.

Oh, and if you were to hand this deck to my wife, you might be in trouble! She doesn’t overhand shuffle cards. She is a card player and does a lovely riffle and bridge. I wish I could shuffle as pretty as she does.

I may have to get out a deck and make one of these.

Patrick
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Just looked this up in my copy of My Best. Looks like a great utility for several tricks. Of course, the same principle with a one way deck providing the peeked cards is a common concept, but some of the uses given are inspiring.

I am curious why you want thinner cards? The peek deck will be the same thickness as your starting deck, so I don’t get why you want it thinner.

Oh, and if you were to hand this deck to my wife, you might be in trouble! She doesn’t overhand shuffle cards. She is a card player and does a lovely riffle and bridge. I wish I could shuffle as pretty as she does.

I may have to get out a deck and make one of these.

Patrick

Hi Patrick!

I want thinner cards so that the doubles won't feel overly thick to the spec. For my next iteration I just ordered 4 decks of manipulation cards -- 78 of those cards are as thick as a normal deck of 52 cards. I plan to make 39 doubles and rather than having 26 peek cards I plan to repeat 13 hidden peek cards 3 times behind those 39 cards (thus using a total of 78 cards). That way the specs can peek at a total of 13 different cards (and the 39 front cards are different than the 13 hidden peek cards -- total a full deck of 52 different cards.)

I can reveal the card the spec(s) saw and then fan the deck and show it has disappeared. I can produce the missing card from my pocket using an index.

I plan to let the spec fan the deck to look for his card. The pairs of manipulation cards won't feel as suspicious if fanned by the spec.

I know what you mean about the risk of the spec doing a riffle shuffle. To mitigate, I only allow the spec to shuffle during a stand up presentation (no table at hand). And I mime an overhand shuffle as I hand them the deck saying "give them a shuffle." Yes, I agree its risky! No doubt a bust is in the future, but the times that I have used my cheap deck and allowed them to shuffle the deck the specs have been really baffled.

You should make one! Its a fun deck and you don't have to try the risky stuff! Just shuffle the deck yourself openly and fairly. Let the spec peek a card and then reveal it either by announcing it as a mental effect or fan the cards yourself slowly and show their card is gone! Then produce it from a pocket! Or do both!

Regards,
Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Peek Deck DIY (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL