We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Identification of a Cabinet Illusion Used in a Sideshow (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kaos333
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
23 Posts

Profile of kaos333
I wonder if you folks could help me identify an illusion used in a sideshow I saw years ago. The show was sold as seeing a real werewolf. Once inside there was a cabinet with the front of the cabinet having bars on it (to keep the werewolf from getting out). The cabinet had a man with his eyes closed standing in it (or appeared to be). Slowly the man visibly transformed into a werewolf. There was a transition of lighting in the cabinet which possibly points to some variant of the Pepper's Ghost. Once transformed the werewolf bursts out of the cabinet and chases the spectator's out of the tent. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2296 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Girl to gorilla illusion
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
228 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
A great friend of mine in the UK , Jon Marshall, has many sideshow illusions and has great knowledge of them, their history etc. He has also toured with them as well as restoring many original ones.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get in touch with him as he may be able to help you, I would appreciate it if you let him know I gave him your details if you do get in touch.

Here is his website: http://www.sideshowillusions.com/index.html

Stuart Brown.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1513 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
A version of the Gorilla Girl.
Based on the Peppers Ghost.
Paul Osborn has plans.
Remember, slightly less than two present of all UFO sightings turn out to be actual extraterrestrial craft.
Borrow three wide brimmed felt hats from the audience.
Dr. Harlan Tarbell
kaos333
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
23 Posts

Profile of kaos333
That is the effect! Thank you, gentlemen! The only video I have found of the effect claims to be from 1971. It cuts short of having the gorilla burst out of the cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUNqZoQJhSc
kaos333
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
23 Posts

Profile of kaos333
Spoke too soon. A more recent one is on vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/7408176
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7642 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I managed the late Tim Deremer's Girl to Gorilla side show in the season of 1985.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
77 Posts

Profile of David_N
Regarding Stuart's earlier post about Jon Marshall...I was fortunate to see Jon's presentation of this illusion (The Mummy), at Blackpool, England a few years ago as part of a wider exhibition. It was wonderful to see these old classics restored. As has been mentioned Paul Osborne has the plans for this in his book Haunted Illusions. Be warned however this prop is big; the illusion section alone is 8 feet by 8 feet. Then you need a performance area in front with strictly controlled sightlines and several personnel to crew it.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
706 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Just watch the scene in "Diamonds Are Forever".
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2698 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
There is a less expensive version performed with colored lights that I have been using as a front porch illusion for Halloween for several years. It is described in The Wizards' Journal #4 under the name "Return of the Werewolf."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Identification of a Cabinet Illusion Used in a Sideshow (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL