The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Effects with pseudo psychological explanations (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sumedik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of sumedik
In case the performer decides to use the persona of a psychologist who is achieving the effects with his of psychology and sometimes guiding the audience to discover the hidden potential of their minds, what are some of the effects where pseudo psychological explanations fit in? Please share your preferred effects with the pseudo psychological explanations you would use to justify them.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Why should we?

This won't help you or anyone else...
I've asked to be banned
sumedik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of sumedik
Just seeking ideas buddy Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are many fine effect using a valid psychological explanation, so why search for a pseudo one?

People today are so unfamiliar with the truth that sharing in may seem unreal
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
All of them except PK.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Honestly, you can take almost any mentalism effect and frame it with psychology. The important part is to make sure that the "psychology" framing you use is credible for your character. Why should the audience believe that you know anything about psychology? Do you have any actual knowledge or experience that you can apply to your presentation?

A good first step for you may be determining what your power actually is. Can you send and/or receive information? Can you influence people? Can you predict actions or events?
Once you know what powers you wish to demonstrate and how they fit in with your framing, the effects you will want to use will be much easier to find/create.

Best,
Tom Indigo
sumedik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of sumedik
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, ThomasIndigo wrote:
The important part is to make sure that the "psychology" framing you use is credible for your character. Why should the audience believe that you know anything about psychology? Do you have any actual knowledge or experience that you can apply to your presentation?

Thanks for this. Yes, I read up a lot on psychology. The credibility part is something I need to think on.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, sumedik wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, ThomasIndigo wrote:
The important part is to make sure that the "psychology" framing you use is credible for your character. Why should the audience believe that you know anything about psychology? Do you have any actual knowledge or experience that you can apply to your presentation?

Thanks for this. Yes, I read up a lot on psychology. The credibility part is something I need to think on.

Out of curiosity, about how old are you? High school, college, some other point in life?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
My favorite is Ian Rowland’s Thought Extraction. It isn’t really an original trick, but the essential method is. Others have used the same presentation plenty of times. In his Penguin lecture, he said that this trick is how he got the gig training the FBI in whatever he trained them.

My presentation works for me because I can bring in my own family history. Which is why I don’t mind mentalism with cards.

Patrick
sumedik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of sumedik
@ Thomas...I am 33.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Ah ok, so you could be taken seriously if you took the psychology route. Like, if you were a high school student I'd suggest taking an entirely different route with your power.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
There are many effects that scream psychology based on the props. Some of them are the Bib book 2.0 https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-The-BIP-Book-v2.0.html Perplexing ESP Plaques by Larry Becker World of Super Mentalism vol 1. Any of the Mental Voyage cards to name but a few.
But as already has been said your props don't have to be from the "International Psychological Institute" to be plausible but it can help.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you are performing for regular people, sooner than later you will meet people who know their stuff, the knowledge, the lingo, the big names, theories and what you can and can't do with psychological'stuff'..
I've asked to be banned
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
All of the wich hand effects. you can talk about Behavior of people.
And even if you reveal a volunteer card, but you attribute it to the cues he gave you from his body movements etc.,
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Rick Lax's Reverse Psychology, Atlas Brookings and Looch's Penguin Lectures have effects that are accomplished through pseudo psychology explanations.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Isn't it all the same? Influence, tells, psychology..why narrow it and they to real. Or better yet go get a degree learn all the lingo and go do magic.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You don't need lingo. Understand the psychological desire of people to be entertained, and their willingness to participate in normally risky social behavior
when they have someone to blame the silliness/weirdness on. This used to be called "being in the limelight." Now it probably has some strange psychological label.

Everyone in your audience has some memory or trusted story about mind reading or some "other than normal" ability.
They psychologically want validation but hide their belief/yearning/superstition/fear. You can build on that. No need to fake anything. It is very real.

You can enhance the "real" you though voice training, diction, coordinated gestures and grounding techniques. Do not fake these. Make them you.
If you plan on using sleights such as Utility Switch you must practice to be better than any conjuror.
Psychologically, if you are caught in the act you will destroy your entire show. A conjuror can fumble a move and cover with humor or props. Yes, there is a difference.

Yes, studying psychology is important, but mostly to enhance you are and understanding how to communicate that to others.

Just opinions, of course -- from one who has been doing this stuff for more than 60 years without resorting to any faked "lingo."

yet, since I do not perform "to entertain" and do not charge money for demonstrating things thought impossible, my advice will fall on deaf ears. That is psychology too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
What is lingo?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Linguistic jargon (I think) associated with a particular discipline or professions.

but may have come from "Lingua franca" meaning a contrived common language between cultures.

Both could apply here where one is trying to create an illusion of belonging to a profession through the use of certain words.

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, funsway wrote:
Linguistic jargon (I think) associated with a particular discipline or professions.

These days, you'd probably be better off using the term "micro-languages".
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Effects with pseudo psychological explanations (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL