The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Booking Fairs (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Had an old friend come in tonight and watched me at Angelo's. He told me he could get me into fairs because he and his family has been doing them for over 40 years. Looking for some help. What do magicians who work fairs charge. I know about different magicians and etc. What is a common price for doing fairs. Thank you and I will research it also.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It depends on 1,000 things. Most of all what stage you plan to work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, some definitions are surely needed to offer proper insight and advice. There are completely different approaches, mentalities and processes depending if we are talking a local act, a grounds act, a mainstage/grandstand act, a secondary stage or tent, a strolling performer, etc.

I have typically found when someone claims "they work or book the fair market" it often usually only pertains to one of these and often a single strategy or approach and often only in a single price range.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thank you for the answers. The main stage is the best I guess to perform on. I will let you know when I find out more. Thank you
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also that is by a large margin the most difficult to book.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Do you have a main stage show? And would your name draw thousands of people to the fair to see you? Those questions need to be a yes in order to be considered for the main stage.

I was just in Florida last week working the main stage for a music act (as a lighting designer) and saw Lady Houdinis set up. Really impressive pro set up. I think what she has is what Is called a grounds act, is that right Mindpro? I think that's the best a magic act is going to get money wise and based on her set up, you need a pretty decent investment as you need to bring everything needed (staging etc.)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Get the book, "The Festival Entertainer" by Keith Stickley. This is a complete guide to working Festivals, I mean everything. I know a magician that read the book, and got booked a full summer at Festivals.

How to find the Festivals.
What to charge, and it is very good money.
What to expect and how to sell yourself.
Sample contracts included.

Only drawback, is working in 100 degree weather, outside and many time in the blazing sun.

Of course he explains everything on how to get started, and up and running, It will take you a while to do that of course.

Highly recommended for those that want to work Fairs, Festivals, and outdoor events.

Walk around strolling, this is not busking, as they pay you for the work.

Stage magic acts, you need an act complete, you can use their sound system and lighting if you put it in the contract.

Now is the time to begin your preparation, so get the book, and make very good money.

There is selling involved in person and over the telephone.

I worked some outdoor events over the years, and just to let you know, your stage is usually just a semitrailer flat bed. Some had curtains and an awning and some did not.

So go get um'!
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thank you Bill and Thomas.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
To follow up on Bill Hegbli's post....

I know Keith Stickley. Keith bought the late Tim Deremer's showS. (Note the "S".) --He has booked and operated, Tim's "Girl To Gorilla", on fairs, for several seasons. I managed the "Ape" show for Tim, in the season of '85. It's a good, commercial, show. I had 2 young guys, and a girl, with myself. It's a 50 foot front, banner line unit. We had a full season!

Keith also bought Tim's "Palace of Illusions", which he is readying for the coming season. It's an "illusion side show" with a hundred foot banner line.

I know that both of my friend, Tim's shows have played STATE FAIRS. Tim carried a "bunk house" trailer for the crew of the "Palace". This trailer could provide another 50 foot front, "MERMAID" SHOW.

If you are serious about "getting sawdust in your shoes", get Keith's book, and, "get educated".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Keith Stickley knows his stuff. We had dinner with him a few weeks ago. Super nice guy...full of great stories.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Look at Kevin Ridgeway and Kristen Johnson who tour fairs with their "Lady Houdini" show most of the year. They carry their own self contained staging, trussing, lighting and sound. They just need a dirt lot and they're good to go. Do you want to do a mud show like this (No Tent)? A tented show where you carry your own touring tent, risers, staging and tech? Do you just want to do time on an existing smaller stage? How is your draw? I don't do the fair circuit but I've been doing the LA County Fair (the largest county fair in the country) for about 8 years. We use a 100'w x 45'D lot with all of our own rigging, staging, sound, lights and even an artist's rehearsal tent for warming up before the show. As I'm totally self contained and a proven commodity, I can get more than someone coming in with a talk act and nothing else. There is no rack rate for magic. It depends on your gear, flash, talent and experience.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Booking Fairs (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL