The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Joining a local magic club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rboyd
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Hi

I have been a fan of watching magic all my life but recently O have started to learn and perform tricks for family and friends. This was prompted by my eldest son getting an interest in magic (he's determined to fool Penn and Teller one day!

I think it's fair to say I've caught the magic bug and trying to learn as much as I can and develop basic sleight of hand.

My wife is getting bored of my magic so feel it would be good to join a local club, there is a magic circle affiliated club near me, but know it's too soon.

I would be grateful for advise and opinions on what should be the basic knowledge held before joining a local club and whether you should have been "doing magic" for a certain period as well.

Many thanks
gomerel
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of gomerel
You don't have to be experienced to join I.B.M. or S.A.M. Join and get helpful suggestions.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2409 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You'll be doing your local magic club a favor to join them as an inexperienced beginner. They will have someone new to practice their magic on, someone who hasn't already seen it a hundred times. They will also enjoy introducing you to magic, once they are sure you can keep a secret. So go for a visit and I think you will find they will welcome you.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
rboyd
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Thanks for the advice. I have reached out to my local club.
rboyd
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Went to my first meeting of our local magic club. It was a lecture by a full time magician so had to pay but we'll worth it. I learnt quite a bit just from this one visit and was made to feel welcome.

I was worried that they would view me as a wannabe because of !y lack of knowledge but they were very encouraging.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
In my experience most magicians at the local clubs are friendly and encouraging of new people. Glad to see that was your experience as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Joining a local magic club (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL