The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Looking for a model for a wild card routine I want to create (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Dear Magicians,

I've posted about this before, but I think I can be more articulate now about what I'm looking for. I want to create an effect about two people (or devils, in my case) playing a card game. Whoever has the most of his color of card at the end is the winner. At the beginning the mischievous devil has only one of his cards (the blue-backed ones), while the nasty devil has several (six to nine or so) of his color: the red-backed cards. The red devil has accomplished this by stealing red cards earlier in the day.

The red devil counts his cards and shows that he has (say) six red cards, and it looks like he's going to win. But then the blue devil says, innocently, "Are you sure you counted right?" So the red devil recounts, and find that now he has only five red cards -- the sixth has turned blue, and he has to give the blue card to the blue devil. This continues through one or two more rounds until eventually the blue devil has more blue cards than the red devil has one or no red cards. The blue devil wins.

It seems to me that this is a sort of wild card routine, but what's different is that we don't see blue cards contacting red ones and changing the latter to blue; rather, the blue devil keeps counting and the count keeps changing. There's an element of sly humor there (at least to my semi-demented mind!) that works well with the story.

I've been researching wild card effects in, for instance, Frank Garcia's book, but I haven't found a published trick that I can use as a model to create the trick I have in mind. I'm not very experienced and don't know any false counts (though they appeal to me immensely). I have, however, been practicing the small packet double lift for Color Monte.

So I'm wondering if anyone can point me toward some effects that are similar enough to what I have in mind that they might provide a launching pad for me to create my trick. As I said, I like the idea of using the *backs* of the cards, but I think that's a superficial concern. A published routine that uses faces might well have the same spirit as what I'm trying to accomplish, and I could just use backs instead of faces.

Thanks for any help people can offer.

Best Regards,

Bob
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Sounds almost like a Six card repeat, with a card being "discarded" by giving it to the other devil...
Bob G
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Rudolf. Do you know of a good reference for the six card repeat? I noticed that Nick Trost refers to it in his Card Magic of Nick Trost, where he describes something like a Seven Card Repeat. I'll look into your suggestion.

Bob
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
There is a very good list about five posts down on this thread.

Hope this helps!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37
Bob G
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, I'll check into this. There'a also a bunch of tutorials on youtube.

I forgot to thank you for your careful reading of my post, which got long enough that I thought perhaps no one would want to wade through it! You've given me a whole new avenue to explore.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26715 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Okay you're doing the "homing card" trick with duplicate cards - focusing on the backs rather than the faces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2CNO_AL_vs
watch with the sound off Smile

This is where we set back and wonder if you're going to stop at that last red card - then shift to the other pile of cards and show them all to be green backed or something. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26715 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2018, Bob G wrote:
...counts his cards and shows that he has (say) six red cards [snip]...recounts, and find that now he has only five red cards -- the sixth has turned blue, and he has to give the blue card to [snip] this continues through one or two more rounds until eventually [snip] one or no red cards. ...

You've got some options here about what you're showing and illustrating.
Are you showing only one players cards in the game? If not, what cards does the other player have and where are they?
What does it mean to "give" a card to the other player? Do you put that card on the table?
Is this a game of nine card poker -where it's the backs that count - and your guy starts with eight red and one blue?

You're in a place to try basic effects...and suggest you ask Bob for his trick or references.
Bob G
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Good questions, Jon. I'm imagining that the red devil starts with several red cards -- six or eight would be fine -- while the blue devil starts with one blue card. When cards change color, they go to the devil of that color. The magician plays the role of the red devil (and can thus do false counts or whatever's needed), and a spectator could play the part of the blue devil. Of course, that spectator wouldn't have much to do, except to hold the increasing pile of blue cards.

I don't know the rules of poker, so, without some research, I can't tell you whether this is like poker. Hmm... I suppose I could remind myself of the rules of some familiar card game and make the devils' game resemble them. But right now I'll be happy if I can just figure out a simple version of this devilish effect.

I did talk to Bob Farmer; his trick actually uses faces not backs (which isn't a problem. But I had a hard time telling from his descriptions and advertising copy how close his effect was to what I have in mind. He sells his Headhunter for $20 or so, and I may eventually buy it just to see what he's doing. He told me it uses two sleights -- EC and FC -- so, if I liked his effect (and it does sound really good), I'd have a good vehicle for learning those counts.

You had mentioned another magician's creation that actually does use backs of cards (and Bob confirmed that), but I wasn't able to find it.

I'm looking forward to watching the Kaps video and the first time through will do so with the sound off (though I'm not sure why (: Smile ).

Do my answers to your questions change your feeling that what I have in mind is a homing card effect?

In the story I had in mind, it seemed natural to end when the blue devil wins. I guess I'd define "winning" to mean "when one devil holds all cards of his color, and the other devil no longer has any cards." I suppose it's a bit of a David & Goliath story: the little guy, who's merely mischievous, not nasty, finds that the big nasty guy has stolen his blue cards and turned them red prior to the game. So Blue sneakily turns the red cards back to blue. (I love stories about the underdog prevailing.) I'm not sure how turning cards some other color like green would fit into that, though I'm open to suggestions... Actually, I can imagine a card in the magician's or spectator's hands turning green sometime in the middle of the performance -- it would be unexpected and could be funny.

One last point -- I know this is getting long, but your questions are making me think. I thought it might be interesting to have at least one round where the red devil is winning again -- some blue cards change back to red -- but I'm not sure how I'd make that happen in the spectator's hands.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26715 Posts

Inventing some rules for a card game for your routine is great. Just so stories Smile

If you click on the link in that earlier post you can watch the video. Fred Kaps is looking at the faces of the cards while what you want to do would be the backs - the faces being all jokers or some other card.

If you start with the packet of cards in a wallet and put that into your coat side pocket ... you can put each card that changes away into the pocket on that side too. No table required - if that performing consideration is important.

When Bob and I met we discussed wildcard using the backs of the cards - the Hans Trixer item was called "Wild Man Wild". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i99ur3FINrw

:)
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

When Bob and I met we discussed wildcard using the backs of the cards - the Hans Trixer item was called "Wild Man Wild". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i99ur3FINrw

:)

The Video looked pretty good. Is Wild Man Wild still available anywhere?

Thanks!
Bob G
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I have the same question, Rudolf. I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Jon, I really appreciate your interest in my little project. I wasn't familiar with the Homing Card, and, even if I had been, I don't think I'd have caught on to the resemblance between that plot and mine. So this is a big help. I was able to find an inexpensive ebook that gives a fairly simple handling, so I'm going to play around with it.

I watched the Kaps video -- wow, he's great! I hadn't seen him before, but now I can see for myself that he deserves his exalted reputation. He had just the right mixture of "Oh dear, everything is going on" and "But don't worry, this is all just for fun."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Looking for a model for a wild card routine I want to create (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL