The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My New Recipe Book Booktest! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
I also be very happy to know if it is language dependet..looks great
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AceMagicStudio
Language, yes I would say it is. As you reveal a word, two colours and a number..

Gary
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Can any of the pictures be forced or known so that a drawing dup can be done? It's the photos that I like most in the book.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2018, AceMagicStudio wrote:
Language, yes I would say it is. As you reveal a word, two colours and a number..

Gary

but I can reveal only colord and numbers?
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

If any of you want to see it, send me your Skype details Smile
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I'm looking forward to a review.
Juno-How
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Juno-How
My orders is in. Seen a few more positive reviews from known folk, so think this could be fun Smile
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Thank you, there are lots of reviews coming in now Smile
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
I do not own this book test but a good friend of mine recently purchased it and showed it to me a few days ago.

Honestly, the first reaction you get upon flicking through the pages is that this book really looks the part! I did not know precisely what sort of effects it contained when I examined it initially and, at first glance, nothing stood out at all. So, as far as a layman is concerned, this IS a genuine recipe book (or rather an "ordinary" modern recipe book). The overall design is superb and the book itself is of very good quality. You can really see the amount of work that was put into this product. I was told that it took several years to put it together, I can definitely understand why.

With regards to the effects, it's very straightforward and also fairly original: you can not only reveal words, but also colours as well as psychological forces; and there's even an option to go into a drawing duplication. So it's quite versatile. Plus, you get different ideas of routines and handlings by Peter Turner and Michael Murray.

Personally, I do not have a use for this in my current show. Yet, if you are looking for something a bit unusual to add to your repertoire, I strongly recommend it! I'm only familiar with the pocket-size version which I think would work both close-up and stage. However, I also like the fact you could get a larger size. Great work overall! Smile
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, Svengali83 wrote:
I do not own this book test but a good friend of mine recently purchased it and showed it to me a few days ago.

Honestly, the first reaction you get upon flicking through the pages is that this book really looks the part! I did not know precisely what sort of effects it contained when I examined it initially and, at first glance, nothing stood out at all. So, as far as a layman is concerned, this IS a genuine recipe book (or rather an "ordinary" modern recipe book). The overall design is superb and the book itself is of very good quality. You can really see the amount of work that was put into this product. I was told that it took several years to put it together, I can definitely understand why.

With regards to the effects, it's very straightforward and also fairly original: you can not only reveal words, but also colours as well as psychological forces; and there's even an option to go into a drawing duplication. So it's quite versatile. Plus, you get different ideas of routines and handlings by Peter Turner and Michael Murray.

Personally, I do not have a use for this in my current show. Yet, if you are looking for something a bit unusual to add to your repertoire, I strongly recommend it! I'm only familiar with the pocket-size version which I think would work both close-up and stage. However, I also like the fact you could get a larger size. Great work overall! Smile

Ah thank you for your honest opinion Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I picked this up in Blackpool and I have to say that it is one of the best gimmicked books I have ever come across. The book is absolutely bullet proof, the recipes are all real and if I picked this up off a table in someone’s house I could read it from cover to cover and never realise it is a book test. The attention to detail that has been put into this is beyond anything I have seen in most book tests. I showed it to Julie and she actually took photos of several of the recipes so that she could reference them once I’d taken the book home. So it’s not just a very convincing recipe book, it also appears to be a pretty good one.

The instructions are very comprehensive and cover multi phase routines. As has already been stated it includes several popular psy forces that have been cleverly hidden in the cover. You can also reveal two colours, a word and there is also a drawing dupe. The system is very easy to learn, it also includes a card with a crib and a very nice crib on the back cover. Also it comes in A4 or A5 size and both are gorgeous.

I’m very impressed with this release from Gary and I will certainly have my eye out for his future releases because his attention to detail and perfectionism is very apparent in this project.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 20, 2018, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I picked this up in Blackpool and I have to say that it is one of the best gimmicked books I have ever come across. The book is absolutely bullet proof, the recipes are all real and if I picked this up off a table in someone’s house I could read it from cover to cover and never realise it is a book test. The attention to detail that has been put into this is beyond anything I have seen in most book tests. I showed it to Julie and she actually took photos of several of the recipes so that she could reference them once I’d taken the book home. So it’s not just a very convincing recipe book, it also appears to be a pretty good one.

The instructions are very comprehensive and cover multi phase routines. As has already been stated it includes several popular psy forces that have been cleverly hidden in the cover. You can also reveal two colours, a word and there is also a drawing dupe. The system is very easy to learn, it also includes a card with a crisp and a very nice crib on the back cover. Also it comes in A4 or A5 size and both are gorgeous.

I’m very impressed with this release from Gary and I will certainly have my eye out for his future releases because his attention to detail and perfectionism is very apparent in this project.

Mark

Thank you Mark, I’m so glad that you appreciate the work that went into this book Smile
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Whats the compromise with this particular test?
By that I mean; in my show I use 3 booktests, for one I need to know the page number, for another I need to know the first letter of a particular word and for a third the book needs to be opened in a specific way. I see these as the compromises as opposed to choose any word from any page and with no fishing tell them the word etc.
What instructions will you need to give to the participant for the recipe book and what information will they need to give you? Please PM if this gets a little too close to revealing the method.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2018, ed wood wrote:
Whats the compromise with this particular test?
By that I mean; in my show I use 3 booktests, for one I need to know the page number, for another I need to know the first letter of a particular word and for a third the book needs to be opened in a specific way. I see these as the compromises as opposed to choose any word from any page and with no fishing tell them the word etc.
What instructions will you need to give to the participant for the recipe book and what information will they need to give you? Please PM if this gets a little too close to revealing the method.

Ditto Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Gary, this looks really great and the quality looks really good. Will there be a video demo at some point?
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

You need to know the page number Smile
AceMagicStudio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, dooblehorn wrote:
Gary, this looks really great and the quality looks really good. Will there be a video demo at some point?

Possibly, but I am extremely busy with everything here, that's not to say someone else wont upload a full performance Smile
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I've ordered it.Really outstanding quality.Also there's a discount I got over ten pounds off.Watch the review for discount code.I'm a sucker for booktests.I've had the Shakespeare experiment , final exam,astrology booktest,flashback,Ne plus ultra, moabt and have words magazine test on its way.Ne plus and moabt are my favourites. As they require no knowledge of the page number.However this isn't a problem as this does.In mentalism inc.books galore.The premises of asking a page number and followed by not asking for page no as the routine unfolds.Due to the structure of the routine, negates the possibility you have memorised the books.Stand alone one simply asks them to turn to any page and your patter is your looking at a recipe!!! Then as you warm up ask them to look at the page no and send you the digits.Send the first one the second and third I'm not getting a third ? I see only two digits explains why I'm not getting a third.What's the number you sent.Turn your pad around to show your correct. Hint super sharpie.Then you proceed with the effect.
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Outside of Shawn Farquar's "Sheer Luck" I have difficulty with book tests that use one book. To me, this screams of "trick book". Why on earth would you give someone a book and say "I am now going to tell you what you are looking at". Despite the fact that this book is beautiful looking as well as different because it is a cook book as opposed to a novel, my main concern is the premise. What are you trying to show people? How is this introduced? With no examples of presentation, to me it is just another "look what I can do with my trick book and bet you can't figure out how I did it". Sheer Luck has a premise. I have memorized an entire book and can recite any page that you chose from memory". It has comedy and engages the audience in how you are revealing what the spectator has chosen only to finish with a surprise ending (one that in fact fooled Penn and Teller when presented with a slight alteration).
So what I do not get here is what makes this magical and how do you present it to make it look like you are not using a gaffed book?
No one has commented on this in any thread regarding this book test. Perhaps I'm being too analytical here, but without even a video to demonstrate how it is presented to an audience, unless you are in the middle of a cooking class makes absolutely no sense to me. Add this to the price of postage to the USA and it seems like a lot to spend on an unknown commodity. If someone who has used this can tell me how it would fit into a show without seeming like the presenter is using a gimmicked book, I'd like to know. As beautiful as it may be, it has to make sense before I plop down more than $100 to purchase it no matter what the wonderful reviews say. Just my opinion.

Arthur
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I disagree and I think you're being a bit unfair in expecting the creator to tell you what type of enviroment or situation to present this book test. Off the top of my head I can think of a handful of scenarios where this would play well. In fact that is my approach with any effect I buy these days (I don't buy much anymore). I have no interest in 'apeing' anyone else or following an included script, verbatim. I like the look of this and I know it has great potential. My problem is a much wider point, and it is down to the fact that it seems to me all new effects come with a big presentational video that looks good, BUT is also easily found on an internet search. I really wish this wasn't the case, but it is. I steer well clear of any/all effects (old/new) that are easily searchable. I'm afraid this book test is in that category too.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My New Recipe Book Booktest! (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL