We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimicked Decks for Beginingers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Hi

I currently own Svengali, Stripper and Invisible Decks.

I am curious as to what other gimicked decks people would recommend for a beginner with basic card handling ability (can shuffle and use an injog but not much more).

Many thanks
karnak
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
372 Posts

Profile of karnak
A Mastermind (a.k.a. Monte Cristo) deck is easy to use, and packs quite a lot of wallop.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, karnak wrote:
A Mastermind (a.k.a. Monte Cristo) deck is easy to use, and packs quite a lot of wallop.

Thanks, never come across this deck before. Will VerNe Google on it asap! Are there a lot of different tricks that can be performed with this?
karnak
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
372 Posts

Profile of karnak
It can do Card to Impossible Location, Card at Any Number, and anything a regular forcing deck can do, while appearing completely normal when fanned.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Is this the same as a mirage deck.
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5573

Trying to tell work out what the difference is other than price. Cheers
karnak
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
372 Posts

Profile of karnak
Different method altogether. Different type of gaff.

The Mirage Deck appears to blend features of Svengali and Invisible decks. The Mastermind deck does not.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4202 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I started with a Svengali Deck, a matching Stripper Deck, A matching Regular Deck and a Scotch and Soda set. I knew maybe 15 card tricks with a regular deck (most being effects very common to laymen). So, from my standpoint, there is nothing wrong with starting this way. However, eventually I was being called out on some deck switches, I didn't handle audience management too well and lost the battle to some "grabby" laymen. Typical rookie mistakes.

Now, let me "flip the script" as a sort of "Devil's Advocate". "What are good gaffed decks for a beginner"? How about NONE??? Being a rookie has enough of it's own problems than working with gaffs and having to be VERY GOOD at audience management. I think the same beginner who stayed away from the gaffed decks (or at least only use one and save it for a closer or sneak it (in and out) in the middle with a well practiced deck switch. Take some time and learn a dozen or so "Self Working" card tricks and a dozed or so "impromptu" effects. Once you have these down, if the heat gets on your gaff deck or you have a difficult spectator, you can skip the gaff and entertain with an ordinary deck that can be passed out to the difficult spec if need be.

As I stated above, I started that way too but I think I would have been a better magician sooner if I had followed the advice I offer now. I also wonder how many agree with this logic after thinking back a few (to many) years?

I think I am gonna fire up my DeLorean, push the pedal until I hit 88 mph and go tell my past self. Smile

Hindsight is 20/20 is a lie. Sometimes it is better than 20/20.
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Hmm. Interesting take poof daddy.

My hope is to eventually split up the card tricks with magic of another kind. I'd like to do some coins or rings.

The routine I am working on would be normal deck - rings or coins - finishing with gimmicked deck. That being said, I do agree that it's better to limit use of gimmicks when it comes to cards as this forces you to improve on skill and sleight.
Johnny250
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
I recoomend you to buy marked deck. if you can put your hands on andy nayman it is very good one. penguin also put out nice deck
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
259 Posts

Profile of donny
The ID was probably my first gaffed deck. When a pro did a Triumph effect I was seriously underwhelmed as I wrongly figured it was a modified ID. Oh the day when I saw Triumph again and realized it was a borrowed shuffled pack. ***Overload***. Hence my initial interest in card sleight of hand.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
I’m new and while I’ve bought some gimmicked decks to match my Phoenix normal decks, I have yet to use them. I focus on learning tricks/effects I like and the required slights to do those tricks/effects. I’m sure I will use the gimmicked decks at some point but for now it’s non-gimmicked tricks/effects (both full deck and packets).
KazMagic
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of KazMagic
What about a brainwave deck? that's nice and easy to do.
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Many good thoughts here, though my personal opinion is if you are wanting a gimicked deck, go with either a Svengali or Stripper deck. Each one has multiple effects which can be performed, they are not a ‘one trick pony’ as are some of the others mentioned.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2350 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Marked deck with a short card is all you ever need.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Short card is all you need in a deck to have loads of fun. Also you won't get caught so easily with it
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
48 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, karnak wrote:

I agree the Mastermind Deck is very good gaff deck.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
304 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
As I stated above, I started that way too but I think I would have been a better magician sooner if I had followed the advice I offer now. I also wonder how many agree with this logic after thinking back a few (to many) years?

I completely agree with Poof-Daddy (enough pressure being a rookie to be increased by the need of a switch); and also with the suggestion of using one corner-short (simple, discrete and powerful).
So much to do, so little time . . .
EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
969 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2018, karnak wrote:
Different method altogether. Different type of gaff.

The Mirage Deck appears to blend features of Svengali and Invisible decks. The Mastermind deck does not.

A Mirage deck is just a special kind of Svengali deck. It adds rough/smooth to the standard Svengali concept, so that you can fan the cards and display the deck as a "normal" deck. Aside from that, it's the same as a Svengali.

While it uses a similar method as the Invisible deck, it is an altogether different beast.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
77 Posts

Profile of EasyK
The Ultimate Marked Deck. 👍
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimicked Decks for Beginingers (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL