The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimicked Decks for Beginingers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chollet
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I recently ran into a new magician who had been sold a Mirage deck. I personally don't think it is a great deck for a beginner. Not because it is difficult to use, but because to create a good effect with it requires some careful routining to keep it deceptive. I just think starting with a fairly one-dimensional gaff deck isn't the best launching point. I would agree with Poof Daddy that it is better to start off with a regular deck, and I wish the magic shop owner would have pointed this beginner to either a book or a more versatile deck (like a stripper).

I think that if someone wants to get into gaffed decks, they are best off to learn some non-gaffed material, and then move into single gaff cards such as a DB or a Short. The stripper deck is a great option too, because you can perform virtually any other standard routine with it as well.

All that said, I have probably 15 gaffed decks, so I am not against them at all! My first was a Brainwave – but again, one-dimensional and not what I would recommend to a new magician.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I don't perform anywhere except to friends, family and increasing numbers of people on the street and I just wanted to chip in here..
Get a Navy-blue or standard red ultrafine sharpie. Read up on deck marking then make a deck. You'll get some wonderful effects out of it. Just be careful not to fall into the trap of doing effects that are only explainable by a marked deck!! Read how for free here..http://www.freemagictricksandillusions.com/how-to-make-a-marked-deck.html
This one's good, very standard http://www.angelfire.com/pro/cardmarking . found via Google, these are generally the method I see in the books I've read.
Good luck!
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But! I've practiced magic for ONE YEAR! Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3971 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have an affection for the Pop-Eyed Popper Deck.

Also a force deck made of half indifferent cards and half force cards. Do a casual face up fan to show various cards, turn the deck over and fan to allow spec to pick a force card.

However - for me - all pale in comparison to John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (definitely NOT for beginners, though Smile )
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Rajat Mittal
View Profile
New user
London
98 Posts

Profile of Rajat Mittal
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2018, Jerskin wrote:
Marked deck with a short card is all you ever need.

My thoughts exactly.

As a beginner, if you can use your gaffed deck for both regular card tricks and "gaffed" tricks, then that's ideal. You only need to carry around one deck of cards, and can practice all your new stuff all of the time. In addition, the card markings and short card will give you many "outs" if you get into trouble.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4561 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ditto Chessman's thoughts on The Mindpower Deck. If you have any interest in mentalism, this is killer. You'll have to put in some time to learn some convincing verbal management, however.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Chessmann wrote:
I have an affection for the Pop-Eyed Popper Deck.

Also a force deck made of half indifferent cards and half force cards. Do a casual face up fan to show various cards, turn the deck over and fan to allow spec to pick a force card.

However - for me - all pale in comparison to John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (definitely NOT for beginners, though Smile )

Agreed! The mind power deck is a great tool, but fishing is not for beginners.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1376 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I’m with Jerskin. A pack of readers and one of them as a physical locator will add so much utility to an examinable deck. Well, casually examinable, anyway. Don’t rely on the gimmicks for most of what you do. Then people are not ready for that unexpected cut to the aces or impossible seeming card divination.

I have and like the Penguin deck. I can’t compare to other commercial decks, but it is far better than my homemade readers.

Patrick
DrBrewhaha
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DrBrewhaha
Not all marked decks are created equal. Penguin's is straightforward, others have very clever marking systems but are almost impossible to use. Go with Penguin's marked deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimicked Decks for Beginingers (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL