The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How often should I change my cards? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Hi

Since starting to learn card magic, I practice about 30-60 minutes a day using one of two bicycle (standard) decks.

I've noticed recently they don't feel as smooth as when I first opened them (obvious really) and it got me thinking about how often I should replace the deck and start using a new one. Also at what point would you say a deck has worn out?

Many thanks

Robert
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2676 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
It really depends on what you are striving for. What is the "end game " of your particular practice sessions. Are you practicing
ECM (extreme card manipulations ) gambling routines, card sleights, false shuffles etc. What are you practicing?
I perform multiple times a week with cards. After a show, I save the cards/decks and once a month I make up complete decks from the cards I saved. Once they start to look a little dirty is when I take them out of use. When I perform for an audience I want the tools I use to look nice. I'm not hindered by not using new decks in my work and sleights I use.

As far as the quality of the cards effecting your particular sleights, well that depends, like I said, on what in particular you are practicing. If it's a Faro shuffle, heck ya. False shuffles and cuts well maybe not so much.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Thanks David.

I'm a beginner so I'm really just doing ruffles, overhand, injog and glides. The cards still handle okay, just feel different.

Subconsciously I'm probably just looking for an excuse to buy. It's cards 😀
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2676 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I hear ya. There are different quality of cards out there. I use mostly Bikes and buy them by the dozen at Costco or Sam's Club.
They aren't the best if you want to Faro but good for my needs. I also find myself buying a deck or two even though I don't need
any. My Walmart store often has good quality novelty decks that I pick up occasionally. Hope your interest in magic continues.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3540 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Robert:

The cards feel different because they're broken in. You really don't want to perform with new slick cards. As David said replace the deck when it starts to get a little dirty - if you're married your wife will let you know. (I have a friend who has used the same deck for 10 - 12 years, the sides are actually brown. I told him I would give him a new deck and he said "No, these are just getting broke in") If I ever get the opportunity I'll steal them and throw them away.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
91 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2018, jimhlou wrote:
Robert:

The cards feel different because they're broken in. You really don't want to perform with new slick cards. As David said replace the deck when it starts to get a little dirty - if you're married your wife will let you know. (I have a friend who has used the same deck for 10 - 12 years, the sides are actually brown. I told him I would give him a new deck and he said "No, these are just getting broke in") If I ever get the opportunity I'll steal them and throw them away.


Echo that. Especially the "You really don't want to perform with new slick cards".
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
You guys will save me a fortune as I am managing to resist the urge to replace my cards every five minutes.

That said, I'm still buying different decks to try out however that's not quite as bad is it? (Don't tell the wife)
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3369 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
First and foremost, wash your hands before you practice. Nothing kills cards faster than body oil, except maybe a Mercury Fold. Secondly, burnish (buff) the ends and sides of the deck, ala Steven Youell, to close the pores in the paper. Buffing also helps with Faro shuffles. Thirdly, powdering the cards is beneficial if you are using the cards for manipulation as the powder helps the cards spread evenly. Other than that the powder attracts gunk. Fourthly (is that a word?), if you are experiencing slick cards, try "Smoking the Deck" to introduce moisture back into the cards.

When I perform, cocktail/dinner parties, I have the host/hostess buy me a red and blue deck of Bicycles prior to the event and hold them for me until I ask for them. I'm used to using cards right out of the box.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
91 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2018, Stanyon wrote:
Secondly, burnish (buff) the ends and sides of the deck, ala Steven Youell, to close the pores in the paper. Buffing also helps with Faro shuffles.
Fourthly (is that a word?), if you are experiencing slick cards, try "Smoking the Deck" to introduce moisture back into the cards.


Hi Stanyon, thanks for the interesting comment. Could you please point me where I can read more about both the above points? I have litterally no idea what you are talking about and seems like I am really missing something.

Thanks!
Andrea
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3369 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Andrea -

Sent you a PM.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
DeeGood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DeeGood
Have just the same question!
Teddy Meagher
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Teddy Meagher
I find that the climate can also play a factor into how long cards last, hot climates make the cards warp for me sometimes. When I started out I would change decks about twice a week, now a deck of cards will last me over a month. Cartamundi have new cards that feel very different from bicycle but they feel like they may last longer.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
91 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, Teddy Meagher wrote:
I find that the climate can also play a factor into how long cards last, hot climates make the cards warp for me sometimes. When I started out I would change decks about twice a week, now a deck of cards will last me over a month. Cartamundi have new cards that feel very different from bicycle but they feel like they may last longer.


If I may, where are you based Teddy? I am just asking to try to figure out what's your area climate.

Thanks,
Andrea
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
I don't use cards much. But saw players packs of bicycle cards for sale. Mix of red and black, 9 decks to a box. 14 dollars a box I think it was. Price was right, so I loaded up! Smile
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
Teddy Meagher
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Teddy Meagher
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, andrea.corelli wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, Teddy Meagher wrote:
I find that the climate can also play a factor into how long cards last, hot climates make the cards warp for me sometimes. When I started out I would change decks about twice a week, now a deck of cards will last me over a month. Cartamundi have new cards that feel very different from bicycle but they feel like they may last longer.


If I may, where are you based Teddy? I am just asking to try to figure out what's your area climate.

Thanks,
Andrea

Of course, I’m based in Massachusetts so in the summer it gets pretty humid in the summer but keeping my hands dry helps a lot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How often should I change my cards? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL