The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sharing digital purchase? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
66 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Hi all,
I hope this question is not upsetting any of you. I am still in the difficult process of understanding what I am really into and what I need to get better. This process includes surfing the web far and wide and I everyday come across stuff that looks brilliant to me and that I would love to have. Since I am not making my living out of magic (and I am not planning to either, at least for now), many times the investments are not small to my eyes. I enjoy paying for what I own so piracy is not an option obviously, but I have been thinking about the idea of sharing digital purchases with someone else. Would you consider it unethical to, for example, buy a subscription to a digital pdf magazine and share it with a friend for half the money?

Really interested in reading your thoughts.
Thanks,
Andrea
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4689 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi Andrea,
Thanks for asking, and yes, this is completely, 100% unethical. Magic creators like any other content developers make their money and pay for their time with the profits made from the sales of their work. For the work to be given to others (let's not use the word "share," as it softens the impact and harm of this crime), without them purchasing it is theft. Depending upon the nature of the act and where it is committed may even make it illegal.

If creators' works continue to be given away to others without purchase, new work will cease to be released, because what is the incentive? Then we all suffer.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2409 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If the digital pdf file has a copyright mark on it, it is also illegal because in order to share it you have to make a copy of it, and that's against the copyright law. You have NO RIGHT TO COPY the file UNLESS the copyright has expired and the file is then in the public domain.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2594 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Smile Smile Smile Smile

Thanks for asking and being upfront.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1285 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
It is a tricky situation. If you buy a paper book and decide it isn't for you, you can generally sell it for at least half what you paid. So, there's less risk to your money that way. If you buy a DVD, same thing. But if you buy electronic media, you don't have a physical item you can sell to someone else if it isn't to you liking. And that makes me less likely to buy something that is just electrons.

On the other hand, magic, and especially certain subsets of magic (mentalism, bizarre, certain types of tricks) is a specialized enough field that if there's a manuscript that has some really good material that only applies to a couple of hundred people, you can't really get a publisher interested in it. The creator could print up a bunch of copies and hope to sell them and recoup his expenses and make a profit, but that's a gamble. Selling it as an ebook or a video download becomes a much more feasible method. But then, what if the purchaser doesn't really have a use for it after all? The purchaser has only an electronic file that he is not ethically able to sell for part of his or her expenses.

I agree that sharing the PDFs of a magazine or book is a no-no. I wish there was some simple way to deal with this issue, but I can't think of one.

For now, I suggest looking for reviews of material you are interested in getting. I don't purchase much without either knowing I like a performer's work or reading a review that leads me to think I'm likely to benefit from the material.

Oh, and get on mailing lists for the folks who carry what you are interested in. Vanishing Inc, Magic Warehouse, and L&L have sales often enough that it is worth waiting for them. Often it is older material, but that means I can usually find plenty of reviews to decide whether it is worth getting. Much of the latest and greatest material can wait, as far as my wallet is concerned. I don't need to fork over $50 for an idea that has seven people plugging it and nobody willing to really explain where it is not appropriate.

-Patrick
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
66 Posts

Hi guys, thanks for the very quick reply. What I had in mind is way closer to the concept "I share a subscription to the National Geographic (just an example) with a friend and when I am done with an issue I pass it on to him so that he can read it too". I understand this is not the case as you can easily fall in the temptation to make a copy of it rather than giving a pdf to your friend, which would be closer to the idea of xeroxing every National Geographic issue (a clear No-No) and, on the other hand being only one physical copy of the magazine it is clear only one of the two peers can have it at a time.

I guess the more far we go with less paper and more digital, the easier it will be to have a clear (phylosophical) answer to the topic.

For the time being the replies I got so far as a rookie, are golden to me and I would add the above information to the first sticky post in this section.

Andrea
rboyd
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of rboyd
This makes me think of the shall I share my Netflix dilemma. My wife won't get anything pirates but she will allow her mother to share our Netflix and Now TV accounts.

There does need to be a way to share digital purchases or transfer ownership, I'm sure as technology develops this will become an option. After all we can share books and DVDs. This is mainly the reason why I try and avoid purchasing digital only when I can.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
66 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 29, 2018, rboyd wrote:
This makes me think of the shall I share my Netflix dilemma. My wife won't get anything pirates but she will allow her mother to share our Netflix and Now TV accounts.

There does need to be a way to share digital purchases or transfer ownership, I'm sure as technology develops this will become an option. After all we can share books and DVDs. This is mainly the reason why I try and avoid purchasing digital only when I can.

You got my point 100%
rboyd
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Totally. Ethically there is a big difference between two friends sharing a digital video (like they would a DVD) and pirating, torrenting etc.

For me the debate is not ethics rather than limits of the technology. DRM management needs to adapt and I'm sure it will at some point. Until then you might have to buy a kindle fire, download the content to that and then share the device between each other 😇
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
66 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 29, 2018, rboyd wrote:
Until then you might have to buy a kindle fire, download the content to that and then share the device between each other 😇

Ahaha. It would make sense if it was a kindle fire with ONLY that content inside Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sharing digital purchase? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL