The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Updated printed silks (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1380 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Do you think there's a market for reasonably priced updated silks...
I mean silks that say "Happpy Birthday" or "It's Magic" or similar with a graffiti type and a more "urban" feel?

I'm feeling that the birthday party and school market is a little lacking in updated art.
Russo
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Russo
Google 'happy birthday silks' there was also one with a rabbet out of the hat with 'Happy Birthday'
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7220 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There are several "Happy Birthday" silks out of the market.

Aside from the ones that look like Ed Harris artwork (these inexpensive silks are usually sourced from China, on many magic dealer websites) and the one that Russo mentioned, there are ones from Wonder Imagery ("Jozo Bozo's Mixed Up Birthday", "Birthday Party Blendo") and from Tommy James ("Flash Appearing Birthday Banner"). Barry Mitchell also sells a large "Happy Birthday Production Banner". Those are just a few off the top of my head.

That being said, I'm sure there's room in the market for more.

The only "It's Magic" silk that I recall, is one with Ed Harris type of artwork on it. It comes in a normal version, and black printed with white version (looks like a photograph negative -- Google Flash Silk Dye).

- Donald

P.S. In addition to Wonder Imagery's website and Tommy James's website, I usually look at David Ginn's website, Laflin Magic Store's website, Barry Mitchell's website, and Dazzling Magic's website to see the selection of themed silks out there. Ken Scott and Silly Billy have also released themed silk tricks. I own and use quite a few different printed silks in my shows. I'm mentioning these magic dealers, to help you with your homework. Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of johnpert
It can never hurt to have something fresh and fun. A "The End" silk might be an idea, too.

Cheers,

John
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3482 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Silks that can be used for the un-gimmicked 20th century with a multicolor look but having one (preferably 4) solid color corners are needed. 8 momme would be great.

Starburst or target looking silks work well. The corners should be a true primary colors so as to and easily match a solid color silk (not teal or coral type colors).

I can't stand the thin silk that is all the rage now because it wears out quickly and doesn't show as brightly.

-Mary Mowder
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2170 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
Silks that can be used for the un-gimmicked 20th century with a multicolor look but having one (preferably 4) solid color corners are needed. 8 momme would be great.

Starburst or target looking silks work well. The corners should be a true primary colors so as to and easily match a solid color silk (not teal or coral type colors).

I can't stand the thin silk that is all the rage now because it wears out quickly and doesn't show as brightly.

-Mary Mowder

I agree. I've been looking for some quality "starburst" silks but cannot find them. And 8 momme is terrific.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1380 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Sterlini makes a decent 20th century silk like you were describing.

My original intent was more a standard printed "The end" "it's magic" or "thank you" silk with a totally updated art type. Most of the ones now look the same as if they could have been made 35 years ago.

http://www.sterlinimagic.com/categories/......lks.html
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3482 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you makeupguy,

I'm wondering if you know if you get two straight 8 momme sunburst silks with this set or if one is sewn in any way. It is not apparent from the ad. If anyone can tell me, feel free to PM if you are worried about exposure or derailing the thread.

-Mary
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1380 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
No idea.. I don't work for them.

i own Wack-o-Magic and was doing market reseach for 36" production silks when I started the thread
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Updated printed silks (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL