The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic Photo Camera by Mago Flash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2745 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: I know that is usually "bad form" to take a trick one likes to perform (like a floating Zombie ball routine) and then try to force a "Gospel application" on to it. I tried to just do that a few weeks ago based on a recent sermon I heard, was really a bad idea on my part. Some tricks like the Zombie ball basically most likely have zero Gospel applications as do card fan productions, card stabs, burned alive, buzz saw and zig zag lady illusions, floating object tricks and most coin, card and mentalism effects.

However, every once in awhile, a reworked kids trick from the past is "newly" released onto the magic market yet again and it seems to scream out (to me at least): "Great kids effect! That looks like alotta Fun to do! Many Gospel applications possible! I think this could work well!" Smile

One such trick was released today on the www.penguinmagic.com web site. It is the "Magic Photo Camera" by Mago Flash and Nahuel Olivera. It is not inexpensive - totals about $111.75 post paid.

But to me this trick seems immediately to have several Gospel applications possible based on well known Bible verses that can be of value in a younger aged children performance/Sunday School setting. I can't wait to use it for the 1st-4th graders class my wife and I lead each Sunday morning.

Tip over boxes like this one have been sold in various versions for decades by many magic manufacturers. But this brand new "Magic Photo Camera" available from Penguin Magic today (I don't know if it is sold elsewhere as well, probably is) has a fresh clever story spin on it that makes some sense to me - and hopefully to younger kids I'd think as well.

Magic Photo Camera also extends the basic trick out which I like too. Most tip over boxes I have seen used involved only 30 seconds or so as part of overall silk, dove or production routine.

Any Gospel routine ideas you may have using the "Magic Photo Camera" by Mago Flash? Please feel free to post below, I'd love to brainstorm on this.

I have several application ideas already swirling around in my noggin, I'll post here in a few weeks what I come up with for use in our Lighthouse Kids Sunday School next month.

--------

As a total off point sidebar, www.orientaltrading.com now has a new "Magical" set of party items, featuring magical party cutouts and a very neat looking magical party centerpiece, magic mylar balloons that are really nice and directly related to magic, napkins, plates, etc.. The Magical Party Cupcake Stand could be a little counter card display stand in a magic room or shop. Great table ideas if you are planning a fundraising dinner with magical entertainment. Oriental Trading also now sells a very simple 72 piece "Magic Trick Assortment" for $17.99 that looks pretty basic. If I were mailing out invitations to a magic themed event, I would use also the new U.S. Postage stamps series coming out on "Magic" (see the latest issue of Genii magazine for an article on those).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2745 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I will post more soon- the routine most likely will be based on "Reflecting God's Glory" using verses such as 2 Corinthians 3:18, 2 Corinthians 4:7, Matthew 5:16, 1 Peter 2:12 and Psalm 126:2. One of the songs the kids will sing before or after will include "If You're Happy And You Know It".

The illustration premise will be based on what people on see our faces or hear in our voices when watching our lives, e.g. the "reflection" or "photo" they see of us hopefully is smiling and reflects a concerned listening person. Our "photos" should reflect God's glory through the working of Holy Spirit controlling our hearts, not a photo/interaction people see with constant frowning, anger or negative uncaring words...

For a more thorough read on the subject, see "Christ for Real: How to Grow into God's Likeness" by Charles W. Price, 1995, Kregel Publications (available at www.CBD.com ). Charles Price hosted a television broadcast "Living Truth" and was the Teaching Pastor at the famous "The Peoples Church" in Toronto through 2015. You can see some of his sermons on youtube.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2745 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
See 2 Cor. 4:11 discussion on page 15 of Pastor Price's short paperback, also cited last week on the "Walk In The Word" radio broadcast (w/ Pastor James MacDonald).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2745 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I will post a Gospel routine in the next post using the above prop.

Just FYI: the trick itself above comes with none of items produced out of the box in the online video ad (which can be viewed on the Penguin website). There are no cards or production items included with the trick.

The prop itself is not all that big but the load chamber is barely adequate for what I am going to use it for. So it is not enormous.

Again, the cards/"photos" are not provided as seen in the online ad. And, it is not all that easy to pull out the flat photo cards (which you have to make yourself) from the "camera"- it takes some practice to work that segment smoothly.

For me, the purchase price was worth it, but it may be somewhat overpriced in other's people's eyes if you are looking for a heavier/thicker/larger piece of equipment. It's just fine for the smaller classroom sized audiences I perform for (under 75 kids), but you may want to consider a larger, heavier and more rugged tip over version to meet your demanding needs (and modify it accordingly).

Even fairly simple "Prop" tricks like this one seem to have a higher production cost obviously, so I did want anyone to buy it and be disappointed that it is not built like a heavy, thicker wood version of some other production boxes sold on the market.

Thicker props nowadays seem to be more custom made- my Gimpy's Magic Mighty Mini Light and Heavy Chest (for example) is built super solid like a Dodge Ram pickup truck.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2745 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Rather than write the routine all out here: basically in a nutshell what I will be doing is taking the first picture and then taking out a smiling face photo. Will have the kids read a verse or two about happiness in the Lord. Then I will take another picture, talk about how our lives are to reflect God's glory (see above notes and verse references) then pull out from the camera the large "God is Love" silk which is available from www.penguinmagic.com (and many other dealers as well). Smile

As a total sidebar, maybe you have noticed how many comedy magicians/comics perform with a huge grin on their faces- like they are going to bust out laughing at any moment. I wrote on a BIG card on my magic stand (that only I can see) that simply says: SMILE! When I am doing any routine smiling, it keeps both the audience and I feeling like we are having fun. Smiling just makes it so much easier to perform and then adapt to what may come up if something "goes wrong". If we are all simply enjoying being together first, it makes the shared routines more fun to listen to and watch in my observation. Some comedians go overboard and pretend to be stifling a laugh before sharing the punch line (which they have probably done a hundred times before)- that common practice seems a little contrived to me (Jimmy Fallon does that a lot).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic Photo Camera by Mago Flash (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL