The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Reverse Engineering an Effect. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Any thoughts?
To hate those who hate is righteous.
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
So long as you don't claim credit as the creator of the effect I don't see any ethical issues.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You can reverse engineer a trick and come up with another method entirely different. I have done it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26722 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Meh, it's much simpler to ask the inventor about their trick.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I sincerely doubt a creator would be willing to help somebody reverse engineer his creation so that one would have his work for free.
To hate those who hate is righteous.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1696 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Personally, I find the idea of reverse engineering someone's effect and using it without permission or compensation to the creator to be extremely disrespectful to that creator.

If people who create and inspire us are not compensated for releasing their work, why should they continue to do so?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2666 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It's really creepy and incredibly sad that someone would see a routine original to some performer and then attempt to reverse engineer it. Why is that? Because, the sheer almost overwhelming amount of material offered now that you can use with no ethical problem at all is stunning!!!

I know 'why' folks want to take a routine not on the market and use it....the performance thereof serves the same purpose for the one wanting to take it as a magic demo does in a magic shop. That's why dealers DO demos!

But, a performer who does an original piece of work is NOT doing a demo!
Brad Burt
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26722 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm still not happy that folks imagine a routine that serves one performer would make sense for another. Ask about the trickery - but leave the personal-presentation to your audience (and if you can afford one - your director).
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18918 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wouldn't do it or encourage it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Reverse Engineering an Effect. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL