The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stay away from Latest and Greatest - LOL (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
If you’re new like me, I advise staying away from the Latest and Greatest topic. Too much fantastic magic that’s hard to pass up when you are just starting to acquire tricks/effects to develop a routine. LOL

Trust me, your wallet will thank me.

: )
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Mr.Jingle, etc.!

You are wiser than you look! hee hee

Permit mem however, to help you, to understand a few "things"...

You can't "pass up MAGIC". MAGIC only "happens" in the mind(s) of spectator(s).

You can't acquire or buy tricks. TRICKS, somewhat like music, only exist while they are being performed.

You can't acquire or buy effects. EFFECTS are what the spectator(s) perceive.

You can acquire, or purchase PROPS, and/or SECRETS, which you can use to perform a trick.

If you, with practice, perform the trick well, with a good PRESENTATION, you MAY ENTERTAIN those spectators. (MAGIC IS N O T INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!)

I'll repeat that: MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING.

When I was starting out, 70 years ago, I asked my mentor to help me to understand what PRESENTATION meant. He said, "Well, it aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it."

You're just beginning. Routines are developed after you have learned "some" tricks.

HERE'S A BASIC RULE: To add a trick to your show, there are three things necessary:

1. Learn how the trick is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3 Learn how to do it, so that it ENTERTAINS spectators.

I hope this has been helpful. You may ignore what I have written, but, your wallet wont thank you.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Seems like a post extracted from Henry Hay's book I am reading right now Smile
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I read June Barrows Mussey's "Amateur Magicians Handbook" about 60 years ago.

He said it 'well'!

Styles of performing have changed! "Vaudeville" is gone! So, some of his ideas of presentation, are now, passe, but, his technical material, is great!
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
I am loving all the theory part. The tech stuff is ok, but there are books that explain it better IMHO.
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
Interesting. Thank you Mr. Oslund.

You can, perhaps, understand my confusion when a lot of this appears to be semantics (in my, admittedly, limited experience).

For example, I would note that there is a complete topic on these forums called "Tricks & Effects" that is for "reviews of magic tricks only". Shouldn't this then be called "Props and Secrets" for reviews of "props and secrets"?

Also, from my reading here and elsewhere (including online "Magic" stores), most/many magicians these days refer to what we buy as "tricks and effects".

It seems to me that we do buy "tricks" and our purchase includes only the secret or the secret AND a prop/gaff/gimmick/etc. required to perform the "trick".

Question: If I am practicing a "trick" (alone) does an "effect" occur even if there are no spectators to perceive it? Smile
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
I wonder what books Houdini- Danta - Thurston - Blackstone- read ?? Now days so much theory - so confusing for the begginner. ?????????????
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi MrJingle!!!

Glad you replied~! I can readily understand your confusion!!! (It's OK to be "green", 'cuz, you can get "ripe"!) I've been "ripe" for a long time. (I'm 86. I should be 87, but, I was sick a year.) When you're "ripe"', you can only get "rotten".

When I was beginning (early '40s) my mentor(s) insisted that I use terms correctly, to avoid confusion, and I listened!!! I realize that it may sound "picky", but, as one of my college professors "usta" say, "That, offends my ears."

Yes, there is a forum titled "Tricks and Effects", and, that is not correct. I've noticed it, too, but, I've "given up" on that one.You can't buy tricks, but you can buy props and secrets, with which to perform a trick. (Note: I didn't say to perform a trick, WITH!)

Yes, illiterate dealers have advertised that they sell tricks. They "aint" right! --And, that's one of the reasons that we have so many "trick store magicians". They DO tricks, not a magic show.

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." --S.H. Sharpe

No. the "magic" happens (only in the spectator(s)' mind(s). --and, the effect is what the spectator(s) perceive in their mind(a).

So you are perfectly welcome to call "stuff" whatever you wish. --But, don't come to me looking for any sort of guidance. (I've only had 70 years of performing experience, all over North America.

Dick
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Reminds me when my Grandfather , a Pastor, invited me to see a "Gospel Magician". What a phony - he did the Hippity hops-Die Box-20th centry silks and others - ALL done and useing the Patter in the instructions(like he just took them off the shelf)> No bible Verses-references - etc., he only said he was a Las Vegas Peo(?) and couldn't stand the immorality - and was into Church Magic-I think he was only in for thr $$$. Needless to say Grandpa said to me -"don't say anything" and I didn't.
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
Yes Russo, it really can be confusing. Smile

Dick, could one "argue" that the difference between a what you refer to as a "trick store magician" showing a series of "tricks" they bought and an experienced performer/artisan performing the same series of "tricks" just PRESENTATION and EXECUTION?

It's the difference, for example, between me performing "Unshuffled" and Paul Gertner performing "Unshuffled" - we are both doing the same "trick" to make an "effect", but his presentation and execution makes his performance a "magic show" and mine me "doing a trick".

I admit that, at this point in my magic education me doing a series of "tricks" is not (yet) a "magic show" - it's me doing a series of tricks, i.e., I am a "trick store magician". But I think that's because my presentation and execution need to improve, not because I bought the "tricks" from a store that called them "tricks" or because I technically use the wrong terminology. Smile

I guess to put it another way, aren't most beginners in magic "trick store magicians" until they learn to PERFORM and put on a MAGIC SHOW? Maybe that's in effect what you are saying.
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
I doubt few of us would regard Dynamo (and to a less extent, David Blaine) trick shop magicians however both are known to use commercially available tricks.

I agree the difference is clearly the x factor which is created through experience, presentation and charisma.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stay away from Latest and Greatest - LOL (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL