The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » A Couple Of Questions on The 3 Shell Game (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm thinking of adding the 3 shell game to my repertoire and have two questions.

Question number one who in your opinion makes the best shells ?

Question number two which dvd is the best to learn from with multiple angles etc ?

Thanks in advance
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Warren:

IMHO, I would start with the School for Scoundrel's Volume 1 DVD of the 3 shell game and their Street Shells.
scoundrelsstore.com

For an additional selection of shells, try 3shells.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks I'll check it out Smile
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
As long as the shells are of high quality, it doesn't matter who makes them, so long as you like them. I have the metal School for Scoundrels copper shells and the weight helps me to do the moves better (personally).

I very much liked SFS' DVDs, but I feel the first one was slightly lacking in content. What was taught was taught well, but I feel like a couple more things could have been shown. It does teach you the basics, but the second video has some brilliant routines, as well as tips and tricks from con artists. However, Tom Osborne's book was also very useful, I found. Especially for its description of the basic hand position for stealing and loading the pea, which I feel no other source explained well enough. It also contains moves which are not shown in in SFS DVDs, but some of them are just variations of the moves shown by the SFS.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Interesting what is the name of Tom Osbornes book please ?
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Warren:

Search "three shell game" on eBay. They have many listings for the Osborne book. The book is inexpensive. Licker98 is correct on his opinion of Vol.1 of the SFS video. If you are just testing this out, try Vol.1, It will give you a basic beginner's routine as you grow in skill and work with advanced moves from other sources. The shells can become an addiction. Ask my wife.

LeoH
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2018, warren wrote:
Interesting what is the name of Tom Osbornes book please ?

I think I got mine from here >> http://threeshellgame.com/three-shell-game-books/
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I too use the SFS copper shells and are very happy with them. Depending on the show, I may also use Black Fox's scarab shells. As far as DVDs, I think Bob Sheets' 3 Shell Boot Camp is a great starter, and provides a quick exercise that you could do daily to practice the moves.

Edit: As a word on Peas, I highly recommend the perfect imperfect peas. The wrinkled nature helps the pea "grab" a bit better and looks more a like real pea, anyway.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for everyone's input much appreciated Smile
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
After quite a few years of using shells from School for Scoundrels, I accidentally left them in another country. I decided to use real walnut shells which I am very happy with. The shells have a natural dip. Several coats of wood glue on the inside and Modge Podge on the outside after some sanding of the bottoms and I was in business.
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
I found the SFS shells tough to grip, esp for the one-hand phase (although most people don't seem to have that problem; must be my fingers). Switched to Black Fox Master Walnut shells and they work perfectly for me. Only issue is that they're too big for a classic shot glass, but I use a small glass saucer that fits. Black Fox comes with four shells, and I always thought I'd turn the fourth shell into a solid kicker, but haven't gotten around to it. Are there any distributors that still have BF shells? They really are special.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Word of caution on ordering Black Fox shells - call the dealer before ordering to make sure they have them in stock and available for immediate shipment.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
If you are considering buying some quality shells......I would heartily recommend you check out:

http://www.3shells.com/

You have an incredible choice. Size, color, theme, etc.

I have used and owned many sets of shells over the past 3 decades. These shells are my favorite Smile

Highly recommended.
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
Talking of shell types reminds me of "chopped" shells and peas. I've never used them and wonder if there's any real benefit that outweighs the potential problems. Anyone have experience to share? Routines that can't be done without them? I'd think you can more convincingly hide a pea when you show a shell empty using the standard move.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I use a chopped shell when placing a seemingly empty shell in a spectator's hand. The pea disappears from the gaming surface and reappears under the shell in the spec's hand.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
SFS, 3shell and La Maggiore are all great shells.
Here's a short post I just made to compare features benefits/drawbacks, based on my experience.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......31034#11

The only change I would make to that post is regarding "heavier shells are harder to pick up".
Obviously shells are not hard to pick up but using certain grips, especially the v-grip, a short (not tall), heavy shell is not as easy to lift compared to other shells.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the info
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I really like La Maggiore/threeshellgame.com shells.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Me too, Tom. They're beautiful and work well. How do you compare them to other shells discussed? What else have you owned/tried?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I have a SFS street set, and have tried the Black Fox, but the La Maggiore work best for me. I have an original and organic set. My hands are small but I seem to get a better grip on the LM shells. What do you like about them?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » A Couple Of Questions on The 3 Shell Game (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL