The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SCAANDAL by Adrian Vega (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11~12~13 [Next]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, tophatter wrote:
I don't think the spectator can handle the blank cards after the effect or turn them over just my thought here I could be wrong .

That's what's weird in the demo - as the spec goes to 'they say scratch' the cards

I think that's what makes me want to wait for reviews
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Hey guys,
Here is the full performance:

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Thank you so much Titanus this really look fantastic.
My order is in

MP
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
That’s made my mind up...my order has been placed. Looks really good
langston3711
View Profile
Loyal user
Cumming, GA
218 Posts

Profile of langston3711
This looks very similar to Intuition by Hondo only the cards are blank instead of a mixed deck showing no duplicates in the finally like Intuition had. Methodologically it looks like it could be identical with a couple extra convincers. How do these two effects compare?
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
This unique deck starts off ordinary, and becomes special only after the spectator does the hard work for you!

Genius.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, Dominic Reyes wrote:
The deck is really good to use, and to give credit the demo is fair too. You really do just fold up a card and put it aside. Give the deck to a spectator and tell them to slowly deal out the cards until they want to stop. When they do, the card they stop at matches.. The deck is then spread, just like in the demo and shown to all be blank.. Job Done. The spectator handles the deck through most of the effect.

How examinable.. I've always found this a very odd question.. You hand out your cards to be examined?? In 20 years, I don't think I have ever done that.. Why do you even do it? Doesn't that just lose you control over the audience and destroy the pace..?

Each to their own though. The deck is gaffed so you don't ask the spectators to check it first. But they handle it, deal it, and the cards are clearly spread at the end, so everything is very fair

Hope this helps

Dominic

This is going to be a long post, but I have to elaborate on the reason behind the question "how examinable is the deck?".

I don't hand out cards to be examined, but this effect has a catch 22 situation that comes with it. 95 to 99% of people have never met a magician before (an estimate but it's a safe one), and we can safely conclude that every single on of those people have NEVER seen a blank deck before (ok in person, you'll find the odd fella who has seen one on P&T fool us, but I digress). By performing this effect, you end with a great kicker that is intended to catch your participants off guard (which it does), but will also inevitably invoke a thought process that we magicians try an avoid at all costs: "that must be a trick deck".

This is really a numbers game, as only a certain percentage will conclude this while you are present(factor in a great performance and script, you will reduce that percentage.. but you cannot reduce that down to 0%), and from the amount of people with that thought process, a certain amount (not all) will act on that thought process while you are there performing, whether it be through impulse, a desperate need to test their theory, or the desire to screw you over. I have encountered many (not a majority, just to be clear) who when confronted with something impossible, will react in a way that requires me to ask you the question "how examinable is the deck?". Some people instinctively grab the cards from the table to confirm how impossible it was (no malice, just a natural human reaction), and I wanted to know whether the deck could accommodate that possiblility.

If you perform in an environment which you can control (for example: on stage, or a parlour setting) then this isn't a worry, as peer pressure and the need to conform to the setting your participants are in, trump the concerns raised in the previous paragraph. Anyone who challenges you in this instance really is an anomaly.

But let's be honest, the majority of people performing this effect will be showing people a bar/restaurant/or any other casual setting that I'm too lazy to list. I am one of those people, and I get the chance to perform on stage maybe once every 3 months (more than most), so my question was really an accessment of whether price matches the amount of use I'll get out of it. These unintended reactions happen once a while, and the vast majority are just impulse based. We all like to think that people just sit there wanting to be entertained, soaking in the fake reality we create for them for a few minutes... but unfortunately that's not the case.

This is where I get to my original point about it being a catch 22 situation. If the rest of the cards were normal, then the amount of people suspecting the "trick deck" will be dramatically reduced. 99% of people you perform for have never seen a magician in person, but 100% know what a pack of playing cards are. The question "how examinable is the deck?" Would become rather redundant, as they handled the deck, dealt the cards, and could see they were all different, any further need you have for showing your audience how real the deck is would be overproving. This simply isn't the case with a blank deck. A blank deck is inherently not normal. You are going to get those unwanted thoughts and reactions.

The effect looks great, and the handling is extremely fair, but the kicker ending seems to be a band aid over what should be performance and an understanding theatrical structure instead. You can easily have the same "kicker ending" feel, just by altering the structure of the routine, tweaking the reveal of the prediction, or by discovering an interesting premise that pairs well with the effect.

This leads me to the following questions:

Is there a gimmicked deck that doesn't come with blanks, but the 51 other playing cards?
Does the gimmick have a lifespan?
Can you make your own when the deck is unusable?
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, langston3711 wrote:
This looks very similar to Intuition by Hondo only the cards are blank instead of a mixed deck showing no duplicates in the finally like Intuition had. Methodologically it looks like it could be identical with a couple extra convincers. How do these two effects compare?

Indeed.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
I've just figured this out. In fact, the method is really obvious to me. I am really surprised MAGICIANS on here cannot work this out... it took me 20 seconds, but then again I am very experienced with the principle involved.

I've just made up a 1/2 deck myself and it works, exactly as in the trailer.

If it's what I'm thinking, and I am 99 percent certain it is, this principle is certainly not new, but I do not remember it being used in an CAAN before. Trailer is exact, cards can't be examined at the end. And, I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't make up your own version... instead of blank cards, they can be regular cards, or cards that say 'F U' - whatever your taste.

It is a good idea as a CAAN, cetainly, and the trailer is 100 percent correct.

Can't believe I never thought of this.

But i;m still not convinced this is any better than using a reverse Svengali.... and, you will require a TABLE to spread the cards PROPERLY at the end... this is a bit of a draw back.
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Yes I too can make this up with decks I currently have ( many) so I do not see a huge difference with this compared to many other versions- of course the biggest difference is there is only one Card in entire Deck - looks promising tho
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
I believe Intuition by Hondo, which is an underrated effect, doesn't urge people to examine the deck because it looks like a regular deck. With a blank deck you should show it more openly and not just a tight ribbon spread to be effective.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I tend to use jokers instead of blanks only because it does not imply ‘trick deck’
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, pegasus wrote:
I tend to use jokers instead of blanks only because it does not imply ‘trick deck’

I like this idea. I would prefer this over blank cards.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
The way they handle the cards I don't think it will imply trick deck to them.
I prefer the blank version over Hondos not only because of the climax but also
because it makes more sense to have a dedicated deck and why you need to switch deck after
performing this.

MP
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I would show the blank deck before the card reveal personally.
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, pegasus wrote:

I like this idea. I would prefer this over blank cards.

I prefer Jokers as well, and like to add something I saw in an old Mike Close video...

Set up the prediction so that its folded in quarters (use a folded bill, offer it as payment if your prediction is wrong). When you open it once, the reveal says, 'I predict you WON'T pick a joker." Of course, this gets a groan from the audience. Then, after a few beats, open the prediction completely to reveal the rest of the message... 'but you will pick the (correct prediction card.' Let them think the trick is over, and then mention off handedly, "Oh-by the way...you didn't seem too impressed that I knew you wouldn't pick a joker...." Then reveal the rest of the deck.

I use this with a Paul Harris effect (name escapes me, and it never fails to amaze/delight.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Great idea, Calvin.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Adrian Vega will Present his Lecture Program here in May-2018 so I will wait to see it Live.

And good one CALVIN826.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
NO1 MATRIX
View Profile
New user
LONDON - CYPRUS - LOS ANGELES
56 Posts

Profile of NO1 MATRIX
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, tophatter wrote:
I don't think the spectator can handle the blank cards after the effect or turn them over just my thought here I could be wrong .

100 % Agree bang on bish bash bosh as we say in london !!!
MAGIC IS JUST A WORD, IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT THAT MAKES THE WORD MAGIC !!!
NO1 MATRIX
View Profile
New user
LONDON - CYPRUS - LOS ANGELES
56 Posts

Profile of NO1 MATRIX
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2018, Titanas wrote:
Are we having a general discussion on new releases or are we talking specifically about Scaandal?
Scandaal is no hype, just a great effect and an application of a principle in a way that me and a lot
of respectful magicians haven’t seen before.
It’s price is $29.95 which is about £21 which is very far from the £35/£75 mentioned before.

Best regards,
Titanas

yes we are talking about the new release but we all see things and say it in a different way and that's a magic democracy isn't it ??
MAGIC IS JUST A WORD, IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT THAT MAKES THE WORD MAGIC !!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SCAANDAL by Adrian Vega (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL