The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Book Test by Cody Fisher (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I'm a huge fan of Cody Fisher and am considering purchasing the Comedy Book Test. The problem is that I can't use the final gag/word in my venue. There is NO way they would let me use the final word on stage. Has anyone come up with an alternative?
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Cody's final word is not dirty or bad in any way...what kind of venue are you working? I've performed in churches, schools, daycares, streets, festivals, fairs, corporate shows, women only groups, family shows, 8-12 year old birthday parties, etc, never had a problem using Cody's final word...All the jokes are built around it.
Christopher
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I’ve talked to Cody about it. My venue is very very picky and I’ve already asked if it would be acceptable and the response was “you’re kidding right”. There is no mention of bodily functions in the slightest, no innuendo, we can’t even use the word Dam to describe the actual dam near our venue. I’m just trying to figure out another word to rewrite the material around.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of cbguy
WOW!!! Good news/Bad news If you find another word that you can use in conjunction with all the jokes you'll need to go with it, you will have an effect that no one else is doing.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2496 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
As the meat of the routine revolves around a word that when connected to the audience member's innocent answers sound outlandish and 'inappropriate it's hard to see how anything of this kind would fit the requirements of your venue.

Sounds like the wrong premise for you to start with.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
imgic
View Profile
Special user
Moved to Seattle to see
844 Posts

Profile of imgic
May want to consider Shawn Faraquar’s book test “Sheer Luck”
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1205 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
The routine is hilarious, but not for every venue. Is this the only place you perform? I'd still buy it and use it elsewhere.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2088 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I am in a similar situation as Christopher. And would like suggestions, or perhaps I will have to conclude that this wonderful
book test although hilarious in "most settings" is not for me (or my audiences).

For a conservative group and/or conservative stage persona --one that has fun with the audience, but a stage persona that is not comfortable using the word "fart"... can any other fellow members, based on their actually performance experiences with this book test suggest another word that can effectively be substituted and still generate a strong and humorous impact on the audience?

Although I am not truly familiar with the inner workings and script of this routine, I did see it demonstrated in a performance video, when the key word seemed to be "eat."

Because of this, if the word is Eat, or something similar, I wonder if instead of "Fart," the word substituted could be "Snore?" for example?

Along these lines, if this makes sense... "Do you do this at night? Has any e ever seen you do this? Have you ever done this during the day? Have you ever done this in public? A lot? At work? In a restaurant?"
If not I would be interested to hear some other word(s) that could be effectively substituted, to see if these would fi my playful but more conservative character.

Many thanks!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
MagicMarcV
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MagicMarcV
I just bought Cody's comedy book test and now I see what everyone is talking about. I mostly perform in churches, so it will be interesting to see how this goes. Will try it on all but kids. My question is: what other books do you guys use for the first two books? I definitely can't use 50 shades of grey. Would like them to be popular books, but can't think of two books that are in stark contrast to each other. Thanks for any suggestions!
MagicMarcV
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MagicMarcV
This thread suggested using the word FAIL. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=16
Not really as funny, but you could still get the double entendre.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2711 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, imgic wrote:
May want to consider Shawn Faraquar’s book test “Sheer Luck”

Yes, Shawn's Book Test would be a good (and still funny) substitute for those venues where Cody's might not be appropriate. There is one for sale currently here on the Café

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=76
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Book Test by Cody Fisher (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL