The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Deception - New TV show (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
hocuspocus38
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of hocuspocus38
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, MJE wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
I'm more impressed that it took you 5 years to make your first post and this is the topic that moved you to action

Well, it HAS been a little slow in the magic world for the past half-decade or so. TV to the rescue!

Yeah, no more Worlds Greatest Magic Specials, Lance Burton Specials, Copperfield Specials................It's Sad!
GlennLawrence
View Profile
New user
Randolph NJ
30 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Watched ep 1 and I liked it but not yet sure if this thing will have the staying power of The Mentalist or White Collar. But I'll stay with it and see what happens.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1419 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
That was my reaction as well. Sometimes it takes a few episodes for a series to gel but time will tell.

Ron
Teddy Meagher
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Teddy Meagher
I wasn’t thrilled with the show but I enjoyed it and it will be something that can satisfy my magic interest but also being something I can watch with non magicians
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1564 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Pilot episode is on Hulu.

So far it has not hooked me. But it is good enough to give it another episode or two to see if they find their footing. For now the biggest take away is the writers must be really big fans of Castle, and they really want magicians to know they know about magic.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4675 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The character of the magician as an obnoxious know-it-all was a turn off. The plot was so contrived to be laughable. Maybe this show will evolve. My wife loves magic but didn't like the first episode.
I Loved the Bill Bixby series.
NEW: 21st Century Coin Mechanics DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/21CCMDVD.html
https://www.facebook.com/barnowskymagic
The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2782 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
After two shows I'm not sold. Like some of the big "magician" movies that have been out in the last few years the magic is all achieved by camera trickery and in general doesn't have a lot to do with things a magician really does. It's really a Mission Impossible clone. Rubber masks and elaborate hoaxes etc. At least in the old "The Magician" show the star (Bill Bixby) actually performed real sleight of hand and stage magic. The show is going to have to add a lot more humor and some actual sleight of hand magic to keep me watching.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1463 Posts

Profile of Ihop
SAM VIRTUAL ASSEMBLY had an interview last Sunday with Francis Menotti. ( Magicsam.com )
Francis is the magic consultant for "Deception".
It's very interesting listening to his experiences about teaching magic tricks to the main actor, consolidating magic angles with tv angles, convincing tv producers not to reveal, How he picks tricks, etc.
I found it enlightening.
Ihor
hocuspocus38
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of hocuspocus38
Convincing tv producers not to reveal. Hey Ihop. Don't you think he kind of DID do that when he was explaining to the feds where their bad guy "vanished"?
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1463 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, hocuspocus38 wrote:
Convincing tv producers not to reveal. Hey Ihop. Don't you think he kind of DID do that when he was explaining to the feds where their bad guy "vanished"?

He also talks about the plane explanation. How did you like the rest of the interview?
Ihor
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2782 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
In the pilot there is a scene where he shows the FBI that one giant metal wall of the hanger is a secret door. He bangs on it and says ta da but nothing happens. Then he bangs it again and the whole wall falls backward. I couldn't help but wonder if there were people on the other side that wall that were instantly flattened.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
thatmichaelguy
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thatmichaelguy
I just watched the first two episodes and wow. But not the good kind of wow. The writing is awful and the plots are so contrived that my ability to know exactly what will happen next would seem to lend some credence to my occasional implication of being able to predict the future.

That said, they've set up a pretty good hook that will probably keep me watching for as long as I can bear it. But, man, the writing is bad.
nigelpquinn
View Profile
New user
U.K
9 Posts

Profile of nigelpquinn
Three episodes in and I'm still engaged. It has a late 80's vibe, reminding me of 'Quantum Leap' Smile
The Mysterious Mr Quinn
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3999 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Watched ep 1 and wasn't that excited. After shows like Psych, Castle, Lucifer (as mentioned before and probably others I can't seem to remember) seem to give off the "Illusion" that anybody can walk into a police station with some off beat skill and become an "Assistant Detective" without all those silly loopholes like knowing and following "Actual Law". However, I am easily entertained so I may give it at least 1 season. Smile

And with that,,, I give you "Instinct". Same basic show but a college prof/ex CIA operative and a Female cop who "doesn't work well with partners"). That said, I'm done with "Deception". I doubt "Instinct" will hold my attention for too long but I will bet longer than "Deception".
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
662 Posts

Profile of Rook
Love the concept, but not as impressed with the story. I will, however, probably keep watching in the hopes that I'll get "drawn in," as it occasionally takes me several episodes to warm up to a series.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
hocuspocus38
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of hocuspocus38
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, Ihop wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, hocuspocus38 wrote:

He also talks about the plane explanation. How did you like the rest of the interview?

Yes!! Exactly what I was getting at! It doesn't seem like this much exposure was necessary.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8597 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Bill Bixby is rolling over in his grave. It no The Magician for sure.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1109 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I turned it off after 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure it won't be renewed.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1463 Posts

Profile of Ihop
So far I like it. It's kind of a reverse "The Sting".
Except they're setting up the criminals for capture.
You can't look at it with the eyes of a magician.
Ihor
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, Ihop wrote:
You can't look at it with the eyes of a magician.

Watching TV blind is not my thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Deception - New TV show (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL