The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..20..23..26..29..32~33~34 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And I think that's appropriate.

But we don't criminalize ownership of alcohol.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2018, LobowolfXXX wrote:
. . . we don't criminalize ownership of alcohol.

Or cars.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
But we criminalize certain combinations, such as drinking and driving. Hence, the analogy would be 1) bringing guns into bars and places with children; there are some combinations that are asking for trouble. Also, 2) you can't drive a Formula One race car on a public highway; there are some machines that are just too inherently dangerous to others.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2018, lunatik wrote:
Poor Landmarks kids, I hope they know that their dad doesn’t care to give them a fighting chance to live.

That's really beneath you, lunatik.

Furthermore, that's not remotely what landmark wrote.

You should be ashamed.

But is it really far from the truth when it comes down to it?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Poor Landmarks kids, I hope they know that their dad doesn’t care to give them a fighting chance to live.

You should be ashamed.

Yes: it's really far from the truth.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be ashamed.

how so? what would he choice be in the scenario that I provided? Have a highly trained/armed teacher in his kids classroom or have a helpless teacher cowering in the corner?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be ashamed.

how so? what would he choice be in the scenario that I provided? Have a highly trained/armed teacher in his kids classroom or have a helpless teacher cowering in the corner?

Take some responsibility for what you wrote: Poor Landmarks kids, I hope they know that their dad doesn’t care to give them a fighting chance to live.

You should be ashamed.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
If trained law enforcement personnel didn't confront the shooter I don't see how a teacher or his/her students would have a chance even with a gun? Very weak argument to think that a teacher would be more adept at shooting than peace officers. Finally what happens when Cops show up and don't know who the perp is? How many teachers will be killed by mistake?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be ashamed.

Take some responsibility for what you wrote: Poor Landmarks kids, I hope they know that their dad doesn’t care to give them a fighting chance to live.

You should be ashamed.

it looks like you don't want to answer the question because then you will have proven my point. it's ok though, sometimes feathers need to be ruffled, especially when kids lives are at stake.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
If trained law enforcement personnel didn't confront the shooter I don't see how a teacher or his/her students would have a chance even with a gun? Very weak argument to think that a teacher would be more adept at shooting than peace officers. Finally what happens when Cops show up and don't know who the perp is? How many teachers will be killed by mistake?

fully trained teachers would be helpless? the cops that were cowards shouldn't be cops. law enforcement working hand and hand with these teachers on a regular basis will provide the familiarity with each other to help prevent them from thinking a teacher is the perp.

so I present to you the exact same scenario, which would you choose? your kids life is on the line
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Not sure about adding teacher/security cross-training to the school management. Also .. more chances for mishap and tales from the teachers lounge.

Spending money on security rather than education is telling and counterproductive. The very notion of violent disruption in a school... no - not going to let the terrorists win - it's not about creating 'safety' with personal armed guards at the desk but about what we teach and demonstrate as appropriate behavior. And how we address the very few tragic instances of accident and violence when they do happen.

I suggest letting kids keep their cell phones in school as a first active layer of security. FaceBook is watching.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

With my children on the line I don't want them to ever have to deal with a crazed assault toting weapon shooter. EVER! It doesn't often happen in Spain. Last I can recall was in 1990. 9 were killed the number would have been much higher with assault riffles.

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:

law enforcement working hand and hand with these teachers on a regular basis will provide the familiarity with each other to help prevent them from thinking a teacher is the perp.

so I present to you the exact same scenario, which would you choose? your kids life is on the line

You still don't answer the question.

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I thought I answered your question, just let me know which one I didn't answer.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I thought I answered your question, just let me know which one I didn't answer.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
With my children on the line I don't want them to ever have to deal with a crazed assault toting weapon shooter. EVER! It doesn't often happen in Spain. Last I can recall was in 1990. 9 were killed the number would have been much higher with assault riffles.

This didn't answer my question Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
...-> It doesn't often happen in Spain. <---.
Different society - different issues.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

That's true of course. I wonder what we would unpack there...what cultural norms, what turns of group psychology, what historical context, what laws and customs would make their experience of mass violence so different...

People often say, "It's a different society, so we can't learn anything from them" (not saying you're implying this, Jon). But difference can often mean that something can be learned. Let's look at where things work elsewhere, and try to apply it, adjusted to our own circumstances, here.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

That's true of course. I wonder what we would unpack there...what cultural norms, what turns of group psychology, what historical context, what laws and customs would make their experience of mass violence so different...

People often say, "It's a different society, so we can't learn anything from them" (not saying you're implying this, Jon). But difference can often mean that something can be learned. Let's look at where things work elsewhere, and try to apply it, adjusted to our own circumstances, here.

just thinking out loud, but I wonder if some nations have less problems due to the majority of the nation being one race? Less racism? That is just one facet but just tossing it out.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, landmark wrote:
...so we can't learn anything from them...

Be careful what you wish for. A little learning versus a Right to be Forgotten. Water from the Pierian Spring or Lethe.
Learning is more than double edged. Look for big blindspots to 'casual discussion' about other societies, say Spain in the 1970s or Germany in the 1930s.

What works today, for who? Is that what we wish to invest into? And how did they implement it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..20..23..26..29..32~33~34 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL