The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10..15..20..25..30..32~33~34 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
The school already HAS an armed guard. (Possibly even several, I'm not sure about that.)

"Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that accused mass murderer Nikolas Cruz managed to shoot up the Parkland high school without ever encountering the school resource deputy. 'He was on campus and he was armed,' Israel said. 'At this point, the only thing I can tell you definitively is he never encountered Cruz.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ar.......3822777

"Long before the latest shooting, Florida education officials have been begging lawmakers for more funds toward bolstering school safety. But the pleas have fallen on deaf ears, according to USA Today. The state’s 67 school districts share a pot of money earmarked for such security needs as armed guards, bullying prevention and after-school programs. But the cash - a total of $64.4 million - has remained the same for the past seven years, leading to reductions in school resource officers."

The above doesn't even consider that many schools in Florida have had budget cuts in recent years.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2018, lunatik wrote:
... why not address them where there's the most killings with said guns?

Why... perhaps to avoid two other issues... such as race and wealth.

Other issues to avoid include:
Ignoring (or worse, nurturing) festering rage.
Attaching moral significance to a number when any signal tragedy. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lunatik wrote:

Quote:
I notice that hardly anyone has addressed the killings in Chicago. only 1 1/2 months into the new year and there's already 250 shot and 56 dead.

And in New York City where there is that evil gun control, and no more Stop and Frisk, violent crime levels are at historic lows. Gasp. And with the largest public school system in the country --over a million students--there's never been a mass school killing. (And by the way, School Safety Agents typically do not carry firearms).

So these easy generalizations are really not so illuminating. There are many factors that go into this, including especially the access to, and level of, social services available; and how well schools and policing are knit into the social fabric of the communities they serve.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Now we have an 11 year old girl threatening in Florida! What is it the water? Eleven? What makes an 11 year old girl wanna do this? Sad times...

Doug
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
When you have kids eating tide, and adults on TV suggesting Christians are mentally ill, it’s not hard for me to see we have a serious ‘people’ problem.
Not until we fix that can we expect people to behave in a different way.

Tom
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Eleven? What makes an 11 year old girl wanna do this?

If that's not just a rhetorical question, it might be the basis for a discussion proposing some solutions. So, what makes an 11 year old girl want to do this? Where might the investigation begin? How deep do you want to go?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
When you have kids eating tide...

Tide? Sorry Tom. Ya lost me there!

Doug
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
When you have kids eating tide...

Tide? Sorry Tom. Ya lost me there!

Doug

It was reported in the news lately that teenagers on YouTube were eating, (or pretending to eat) Tide Pods.

They are daring other kids to eat one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-y......02363e6d

Tom
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Eleven? What makes an 11 year old girl wanna do this?

If that's not just a rhetorical question, it might be the basis for a discussion proposing some solutions. So, what makes an 11 year old girl want to do this? Where might the investigation begin? How deep do you want to go?

ya see, it doesn't have much to do with the gun, it has to do with other issues that cause this person to want to do this. Why not propose a solution that deals with the issues that the person is having that is making them to want to do this? It's just a knee jerk reaction to ban guns, it's a shallow solution. Why not deal with the underlying personal issues?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2018, landmark wrote:
Lunatik wrote:

Quote:
I notice that hardly anyone has addressed the killings in Chicago. only 1 1/2 months into the new year and there's already 250 shot and 56 dead.

And in New York City where there is that evil gun control, and no more Stop and Frisk, violent crime levels are at historic lows. Gasp. And with the largest public school system in the country --over a million students--there's never been a mass school killing. (And by the way, School Safety Agents typically do not carry firearms).

So these easy generalizations are really not so illuminating. There are many factors that go into this, including especially the access to, and level of, social services available; and how well schools and policing are knit into the social fabric of the communities they serve.

there's THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of schools that have never had a mass school shooting. what are your proposed solutions for all of the murders in Chicago? Can't make the gun restrictions much stricter.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
The guns in Chicago flow in from neighbouring states where the rules are lax.

It's the GUNS.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Why not propose a solution that deals with the issues that the person is having that is making them to want to do this?

A fine suggestion. Finding out more about why people feel so alienated in this society is a start.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
The guns in Chicago flow in from neighbouring states where the rules are lax.

It's the GUNS.

But why not address the issues that these people have that are driving them to kill people? it's never about the method of killing, but the driving motive. it could very easily be a car driven into a large crowd to kill people. we don't need to ban cars, but we do need to figure out what is driving them to kill and address the issues there. One could try and regulate methods, but why not address the mental/emotional/social side?
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Why not propose a solution that deals with the issues that the person is having that is making them to want to do this?

A fine suggestion. Finding out more about why people feel so alienated in this society is a start.

+1
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, lunatik wrote:
... address the issues that these people have that are driving them to ...

but so many have invested so much in treating symptoms...
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I "propose" one handgun and one rifle (for hunting), per adult citizen who -

Passes a THOROUGH federal background check.

Has no current, or previous known mental instability.

A ban on magazines of more than six bullets.

A ban on any device that can be used to convert any gun, for the purpose of making it more powerful than it originally was intended to be.

A ban on all "armor piercing" bullets.

A ban on suppressors.

A ban on violent felons, whether they've served their sentences or not, from obtaining any gun.

A ban on anyone known to be, or suspected of being, a terrorist.

My position is that anyone who says they need more than that needs to explain exactly why, beyond "my right".
(They aren't being used defensively, and people are dying on a regular basis.)

In addition, it's my position is that drugs and prostitution should be legalized to remove some of the income of the criminals who will supposedly get these guns.

Further, there should be strict MANDATORY minimums (40+ years) for anyone who still ends up in possession of these guns, as well as life sentences for anyone for anyone using ANY gun in the commission of a crime.

Further still, my position is that anyone who is afraid that to give an inch on this issue so as
to not go down the slippery slope of "giving up rights" should look around.
NO gun will stop what's already happening.

In conclusion, anyone who thinks they need ANY arsenal, no matter how large, in order to oppose some hypothetical, someday, tyranny is so delusional that they should be added to the above list of those who should be banned from having ANY gun.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
In conclusion, anyone who thinks they need ANY arsenal, no matter how large, in order to oppose some hypothetical, someday, tyranny is so delusional that they should be added to the above list of those who should be banned from having ANY gun.

Now, is it your position that the U.S. is more mentally ill than the rest of the world?

*If I were King the forrrrrrest...
If so many don't care before the fact... do you really trust them to care about all that after? Consider the context - it's still taboo to show violence realistically in products aimed at those who seem to be doing the violence.

* mostly to see how folks respond to the nerve you touched - something implicit in your post. The "how would someone (who?) know if/that... " question.
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
What NYCTwister said.

That, plus a mandatory buy-back program similar to Australia's: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/no-mass-shootings-australia-20-years-how-did-they-do-n597091https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/no-mass-shootings-australia-20-years-how-did-they-do-n597091.

It wouldn't even take a repeal or amendment of the Consitution's second amendment, just five Supreme Court justices with the courage to say that the court's previous pronouncements about the import of the amendment were wrong--just as the court has done when abandoning earlier interpretations and applications of core amendments to the Consitution after they proved to be self-evidently outmoded or erroneous.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Now, is it your position that the U.S. is more mentally ill than the rest of the world?

*If I were King the forrrrrrest...
If so many don't care before the fact... do you really trust them to care about all that after? Consider the context - it's still taboo to show violence realistically in products aimed at those who seem to be doing the violence.

* mostly to see how folks respond to the nerve you touched - something implicit in your post. The "how would someone (who?) know if/that... " question.

I'm afraid this is one of those posts that I don't understand exactly what it is that you're asking.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
...I'm afraid this is one of those posts that I don't understand exactly what it is that you're asking.

No problem. Consider how what you're proposing affects those in Chicago. May as well add "monthly supplies of Soma" to the list and see where this dialogue goes. Let's see where the currents of history are pushing today.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Again » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10..15..20..25..30..32~33~34 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL