The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Our new arrivals Ľ Ľ My Introduction/First Post (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrLeeCreighton
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of DrLeeCreighton
Hello magicians,

I worked as a magic store magician when I was 19Ė20, during my years as an undergraduate. Iíve never performed for more than five people, and am as interested in the sleights and methods as of entertaining. Part of my academic and analytic background I suppose, since my PhD is in Mathematics and I also picked up a Masterís in French (where I am fascinated by the grammar as well as literacy).

Being in the throes of a 4+ year run of unemployment, Iíve dug out my old magic books and am relearning my skills. I never did approach this subject properly. I should have gone through Tarbell, or, as a card man, started with Royal Road, then go through Lorayneís Close-Up Card Magic. Instead I learned what we had in the store and picked up this and that from the shop regulars. I was absolutely in the low intermediate rung, since I could (for example) pull of the Curry change about 75% of the time.

Since Iím starting over again, Iím making a choice that I should have made back then: using poker-sizes cards. I have tiny little Trump-sized hands, so I thought using bridge sized cards would help me. Maybe it did, but Iíve always regretted the choice. Poker size is making this quite difficult, and I donít think Iíll ever be able to do one-handed cuts and the like. In fact, regardless of the point I choose to pinch a card with my middle finger and thumb, thereís no way the card can rotate 360į without hitting hand, so those cool card spins are right out.

Iím also discovering that my skin is not at all the same as it was 30 years ago. Iím using Neutrogena Norwegian Blend to bring them back to life, but if anyone has better ideas, Iím quite open to hearing other opinions. Iím finding my skin is no longer able to classic palm a half dollar now that Iím applying goop twice a day.

Back in the day, my absolute favorite innovator was Paul Harris, and I spent many hours hunched over SuperMagic and learned many of the effects in it. I wished I could do Derek Dingleís stuff, but I wasnít nearly that good. I also bought Richard Kaufmanís CoinMagic and was able to get through the first trick. We never had any of Ed Marloís books in stock, so believe it or not I never heard his name. Roberto Giobbiís books didnít exist year, as did a lot of the stuff I read about these days.

Relearning this subject is really helping my mental health and stir craziness. A lot of my gear has vanished, but Iíve got a plain deck of cards and four Kennedy half dollars, and along with a bath towel, Iíll be able to do Matrix and Out Of This World and the rest of the classics, which makes me happy. And Iím very happy to join this group (registration was closed for a while).
andrea.corelli
View Profile
New user
Milano area, Italy
79 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Wecome DrLeeCreighton,
it's good to have you here. Enjoy your stay while magic helps you find your way.

Cheers!
Andrea
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3547 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome DrLeeCreighton,

There is a lot of info on hand lotions in "The Workers" forum. Just use the search for slick hands or hand lotions and some will pop up.

Don't worry about small hands. I use poker sized cards. My out-stretched hand is @ 8 1/4 " little finger to thumb tip (without straining). I can do one handed cuts and shuffles. Just be prepared to pick up a lot of cards LOL.

Magic is a great way to get into a creative and open frame of mind. That goes a long way toward solving problems.

Good Luck.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Our new arrivals Ľ Ľ My Introduction/First Post (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL