The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Vinny Marini, who is he? (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
From Marion (Mb217)

"I won't entertain the trolls here (and you know who they are) but David you I will respond to....

I really don't think Vinny means anything by any little barbs tossed around (perhaps it's the "Don Rickles" in him...RIP), mostly because they are just things hurled back at others who most times attack him first...it's a NYC thing. Smile He's a fiesty old dude from the salty NYC streets, much like the great, Harry Lorayne here...And yes, to a fault at times, they will not back down from a fight or any measure of disrespect.

So, Vinny doesn't pick on anybody the way some pile-up on him at times, rather, he regularly helps others and is always willing to show them the way. None of us will get perfect scores when it's all added up, but the goal is to score as high as you can. I think Vinny is scoring high with his magic, and in his life and good will towards others.

Hope you enjoy the lecture, you'll see a lot of good will and magic there. Smile"
--------(end of quote)

I am with Marion. Vinny has always been more than willing to help me out and share his knowledge with no strings attached.
AND for that matter, so has Marion.
Just my 2 cents from personal experience. I support both of these gentlemen.
Jack Skalon

http://www.MagicByJack.net

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10519 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thanks jaCK HOPE U ARE ABLE TO CATCH THE LECTURE
VINNY
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2759 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Keep on truckin, Vinny. You make magic fun.
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
784 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I've watched the lecture and I recommend it to everyone - the lovers, the haters, and the ones between.

Mike
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7922 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, it was great! Smile

The Godfather really WOW'd the crowd and provided a lot of wonderful effects and just a real good time. Smile A lot of interesting parts to the show, but perhaps nothing was more nice to see than Vinny just boldly doing his thing, stuff he does all the time in the real world for real people. Good man, good magic! Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
Magicrcook
View Profile
New user
Cleveland Ohio
19 Posts

Profile of Magicrcook
Enjoyed the lecture. Vinny's take on the han ping chen was revolutionary. There were also ORIGINAL easy card moves worth the price
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
576 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Well done Vinny!

It is easy for people to 'throw rocks' from the comfort of their computer chair, but I don't think that I've ever seen anyone willing to contribute more to this forum than Vinny.

Even if you don't appreciate everything that you see, the fact that the majority of the posts maligning him have zero contributions for others to critique, should speak loudly.

Unfortunately, we are in age when many value the latest sleight of more merit than those that can actually perform and 'entertain' an audience, resulting in many uninformed comments, which in turn have alienated valued contributors in the past.

I hope the trend reverses.

Bravo Vinny, for putting your head 'above the parapet' and promoting The Magic Café by your efforts!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3541 Posts

Profile of Turk
I'm late to the party but Vinny's recent Penguin LIVE Lecture triggered this post. Lots of effects and moves taught. Too many to definitively describe in this brief post.

That said, I particularly liked "G Wave", the Toss Move, the Scoop Move, the Top Gun Change (a variation of the Erdnase Change), the Glide Palm Move (demonstrated in "Arlene the Psychic Elephant " routine), Vinny's version of the Hop Move and his use of the Han Pien Ching move with cards (in his "Card to Box" effect).

I also liked his BOLD "Card Through Mat" effect, his use of two rings in his "Ring on String" effect (but I did not care for the ring in mouth portion of the effect). I also liked his hilarious vanish of one of the shells in his 3-shell routine and the "Marini Pinch" move of the pea. (I'm going to work on that.) Question: is the "Marini Pinch" move (using a pea) original to Vinny or might it have been independently invented by Vinny, among others? Note that Vinny also uses this crimp move later in his lecture when describing its use with coins.

I also liked the routining in his "Altoid Box Routine" (where Vinny combines the "coin under salt shaker" theme with Jonathan Kamm's "Toi Box" effect).

I agree with Dan Harlan that Vinny's style is Vinny (and is not for everyone). However, most of the moves taught can probably be adapted and incorporated into other magicians' style with a little bit of effort and practice.

All in all, a lecture loaded with new moves and variations of old(er) existing moves. Lots of food for thought here.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
KazMagic
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of KazMagic
Yeah. Watched the lecture and it had TONS of moves.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7922 Posts

Profile of Mb217
🎖🎖🎖🎖🎖

From Penguin...

“I enjoyed the lecture. There were a lot of unique variations of classic moves for the finger ring and string, a few nice ideas for the 3 shell game, several card moves and coin work...especially helpful if you don't classic palm coins well)

I hope when I'm 79, I have the memory, the energy, the love of magic and the willingness to share that Vinny has.

Vinny's performance style is his own. It may or may not fit your particular style but it's unlikely you won't find some ideas or moves that you'll have fun playing with and you just might find a way to make them your own.”

Ya done good, Vin...ya done good! 😊🎩👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I’ve known Vinny for over 15 years and consider him one of my best friends so it’s pretty disheartening to see so much negativity in these recent threads.

Vinny really, really loves magic. Anyone that’s met him for more than 5 minutes knows this. The next thing you'll notice is that he is extremely generous. I’ve never met anyone that wants to help others the way he does. I know he’s personally helped out many here on the Café that have run into hardships. He doesn’t want recognition for this but its the truth.

So why all the negativity? Where is the constructive criticism? Why all the attacks on his person and ability?

The slogan on the banner up top says “Magicians Helping Magicians”. I know Vinny wants to help others. Can someone explain to me how saying things like “Penguin is scraping the bottom of the barrel” is helping magicians? Since when is putting down others for an ego boost what you need to become a better magician?

Sometimes I get it. He’s brash and can come off a bit rough online. He’s not “tech savvy” and has a hard time getting his point across sometimes. His videos lack polish and he flashes. He has an idea, films a quick take, and wants to share or start a discussion. In this day and age of fancy editing and marketing, his videos seem archaic. But his intent is not to sell you on his latest move or effect with fancy editing. He just wants to share his ideas and get some constructive feedback.

So what’s the issue here? The fact that he doesn’t have a studio quality setup at home? The fact that he just wants to share an idea and doesn’t want to film a dozen takes with creative editing to make his moves look better? The fact that there are almost no other people in his age group performing knuckle busting moves? I'm amazed he can do any sleight of hand at all with his advanced arthritis and lack of thumb mobility.

So cut the guy some slack. If you don’t like a move, tell him why. If you have a suggestion on how to improve a move, tell him. If you think he inadvertently recreated someone’s move, tell him.

But let's stop with the insults (both passive and direct). There's no place for that in our community. Hopefully you’ll get to meet him in person some day and realize that he’s not the online persona you’ve villainized him into.

Also, as of this writing, his Penguin lecture has a 5 star rating with 3 reviews. Its a small sample size but I am ecstatic for him. If you watch the preview or have seen any of his work you know that you aren't going to get a perfectly choreographed 40 minute routine. Instead, you'll get to bounce around the head of this creative son of a gun and have fun playing with unique and bizarre moves. It's a one-of-a-kind ride and I hope some of you reading this will go in with an open mind. Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Regular user
UK
137 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Yup - I found this thread the most depressing thing I have read in a long time. Don't want to even engage with the motives of some of the contributors - just what indeed is the point?

There is something about social media that can bring out the worst in us. It can be the biggest adrenaline kick of the day apparently. I enjoy this forum and have got so much help and support, so let's be respectful.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
599 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Maybe they are just stating their real opinions. Why is it wrong?
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
If you don't see why it's wrong to personally attack others then there's not much I can say.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10519 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thank you charlie for all the years you supported me , I have 7 children I wish charlie was one of them, that's how much respect I have for him..
charlie is terrific card worker but to modest to post.....

These trolls that hide behind rabbit ears and bash me would not say this to my face .,.i have four sons that would take care of this problem in a new york minute...
,for the rest I hope you enjoy the lecture and if anyone has ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE CONTROLS OR EFFECTS THEY CAN PM ME AND I WILL SEND VIDEO TUTORIALS TO HELP
VINNY
Come check out my magic.

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7922 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2018, KazMagic wrote:
I sometimes see threads that says Vinny Marini or Godfather.

Can anyone tell me who Vinny is and why he is famous?

Also he seems to be doing a Penguin Live Lecture which I am subscribed to.

Thanks

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, KazMagic wrote:
Yeah. Watched the lecture and it had TONS of moves.

Glad you watched the lecture Kaz, especially since you're the original poster here...Glad you could see for yourself as to Vinny's abilities and magic. He is like a Swiss Army Knife as to moves and techniques, and has a thousand tricks in his head and at his command, many of which he created himself from decades of closeup work.

It was a great lecture with tons of good magic...Happy you (and many others) saw for yourself and didn't listen to all the nay-sayers that just had a mean streak to show and an ax to grind behind such supposed opinion where the pictures drawn don't match the real man or his magic. Clearly, Vinny's show proved otherwise. With that, we all should remember two things...

1 - There's nothing like seeing for yourself.

2 - Don't feed the trolls. Smile

www.penguinmagic.com/p/9421

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10519 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Marion thank you .....over the years you have been a loyal and respected friend, I'm glad you enjoyed the lecture . penguin want me back in the near future
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
2801 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2018, vinsmagic wrote:
Marion thank you .....over the years you have been a loyal and respected friend, I'm glad you enjoyed the lecture . penguin want me back in the near future
vinny

As Penguin should!
Why call it common sense when it's so rare ?
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2018, CharlieC wrote:
I’ve known Vinny for over 15 years and consider him one of my best friends so it’s pretty disheartening to see so much negativity in these recent threads.

Vinny really, really loves magic. Anyone that’s met him for more than 5 minutes knows this. The next thing you'll notice is that he is extremely generous. I’ve never met anyone that wants to help others the way he does. I know he’s personally helped out many here on the Café that have run into hardships. He doesn’t want recognition for this but its the truth.

So why all the negativity? Where is the constructive criticism? Why all the attacks on his person and ability?

The slogan on the banner up top says “Magicians Helping Magicians”. I know Vinny wants to help others. Can someone explain to me how saying things like “Penguin is scraping the bottom of the barrel” is helping magicians? Since when is putting down others for an ego boost what you need to become a better magician?

Sometimes I get it. He’s brash and can come off a bit rough online. He’s not “tech savvy” and has a hard time getting his point across sometimes. His videos lack polish and he flashes. He has an idea, films a quick take, and wants to share or start a discussion. In this day and age of fancy editing and marketing, his videos seem archaic. But his intent is not to sell you on his latest move or effect with fancy editing. He just wants to share his ideas and get some constructive feedback.

So what’s the issue here? The fact that he doesn’t have a studio quality setup at home? The fact that he just wants to share an idea and doesn’t want to film a dozen takes with creative editing to make his moves look better? The fact that there are almost no other people in his age group performing knuckle busting moves? I'm amazed he can do any sleight of hand at all with his advanced arthritis and lack of thumb mobility.

So cut the guy some slack. If you don’t like a move, tell him why. If you have a suggestion on how to improve a move, tell him. If you think he inadvertently recreated someone’s move, tell him.

But let's stop with the insults (both passive and direct). There's no place for that in our community. Hopefully you’ll get to meet him in person some day and realize that he’s not the online persona you’ve villainized him into.

Also, as of this writing, his Penguin lecture has a 5 star rating with 3 reviews. Its a small sample size but I am ecstatic for him. If you watch the preview or have seen any of his work you know that you aren't going to get a perfectly choreographed 40 minute routine. Instead, you'll get to bounce around the head of this creative son of a gun and have fun playing with unique and bizarre moves. It's a one-of-a-kind ride and I hope some of you reading this will go in with an open mind. Smile

Hey Charlie!,

Well said brother, that is my friend Vinny right there. I could not describe him better.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1668 Posts

Profile of wally
Vinny is a true Gentleman, love his ring and string.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Vinny Marini, who is he? (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL