The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Biddle Trick -- videos of effective performances? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Foolsnobody, do you remember the name of Allerton's booklet? I have the Carlyle book; looking forward to reading the Cops and the Culprit.

Daren and fab1an, I'm going to have to pass on the new Asi Wind book, exciting though it sounds. Whew, $100! Maybe Chapter One will show up used eventually.
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Chamberlain,

I watched the part of the youtube that had the Asi Wind Biddle Trick -- Wow!! Beautiful. I like the way he justifies the initial choice of five cards by saying that he "sometimes gets feelings about cards" -- and then picks five cards from different parts of the deck. (Daryl does something a bit similar in his Encylopedia of Card Sleights -- taking cards from different parts of the deck.)

To Daren and fab1an: I haven't done any MemDeck work, but this might be a good entrance. Question: How difficult are the sleights in this version? If there are any palms, or even DL's, I'm going to pass! But if it's basically just the Biddle move, I'm confident that I can learn that with some work.

Thanks,

Bob
fab1an
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of fab1an
In terms of sleight of hand: if you can perform the "standard" biddle trick, you could also perform said variation of it. Respecting the work Asi has put into this, I won't go into much detail here.

If you have any more questions or need some guidance whether this effect (or the work with a mem deck) is for you - feel free to PM me!
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Fab1an. I'll PM you.
Michael Basic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
13 Posts

Profile of Michael Basic
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, Bob G wrote:
Thanks, Michael. This sounds really fun. It sounds like you've gotten rid of the unmotivated stuff where the magician guesses which half the selection is in, and then chooses five cards for no apparent reason.

I'm a little hesitant to ask this, but do you have the long version written up? If so, would you be willing to share it in the Secret Sessions forum or by PM? I'll certainly understand if you prefer not to, but I'm really intrigued.

Bob

Hey Bob,

As I only have 6 posts here (7 now) I'm not able to get into secret sessions yet...however, I'll happily send you a PM later tonight.
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Michael,

Thanks! That's much appreciated; I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Bob
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
813 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, Bob G wrote:
Foolsnobody, do you remember the name of Allerton's booklet? I have the Carlyle book; looking forward to reading the Cops and the Culprit.

Bert Allerton's The Close Up Magician, written down by Bob Parrish, Illustrated by Howard Bamman. Published by Magic Inc.

"This item is currently out of stock. Please call (773) 334-2855 with inquiry."
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of Daren
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, Bob G wrote:
Chamberlain,

I watched the part of the youtube that had the Asi Wind Biddle Trick -- Wow!! Beautiful. I like the way he justifies the initial choice of five cards by saying that he "sometimes gets feelings about cards" -- and then picks five cards from different parts of the deck. (Daryl does something a bit similar in his Encylopedia of Card Sleights -- taking cards from different parts of the deck.)

To Daren and fab1an: I haven't done any MemDeck work, but this might be a good entrance. Question: How difficult are the sleights in this version? If there are any palms, or even DL's, I'm going to pass! But if it's basically just the Biddle move, I'm confident that I can learn that with some work.

Thanks,

Bob

Is there a link to the video please?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2713 Posts

Profile of warren
Bob I think you'll find that apart John Guastafero's "Biddleless all other versions of the Biddle trick are pretty much the same,yes you can have the spectators shuffle the deck after the selection is made but then the price to pay for that is having to go through the deck face up, yes you can perform the effect as a packet trick, and yes you can use a marked deck etc...... The thing that separates them really is the presentation which is basically down to the individual performer.
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi again, foolsnobody,

I just discovered that Allerton's book is on Lybrary.com!: https://www.lybrary.com/the-closeup-magician-p-223296.html.
MSaber
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MSaber
David Blaine does a simple but effective performance of the Biddle Trick here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzhOvNN4kY
DanielChard
View Profile
New user
Bristol, United Kingdom
13 Posts

Profile of DanielChard
My humble offering to the biddle plot, (which remains as one of my favourite card effects) is called ‘Fiddle With Biddle’ published on my debut dvd ‘Chardshark’ published with RSVP Magic.

Performance can be seen in this video from 2 mins 30 seconds, onwards.

https://youtu.be/tn9X3rLILIA
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5811 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 16, 2018, warren wrote:
Bob I think you'll find that apart John Guastafero's "Biddleless all other versions of the Biddle trick are pretty much the same,yes you can have the spectators shuffle the deck after the selection is made but then the price to pay for that is having to go through the deck face up, yes you can perform the effect as a packet trick, and yes you can use a marked deck etc...... The thing that separates them really is the presentation which is basically down to the individual performer.

I allow the spectator to shuffle the deck and I do NOT have to look through the deck to get ready for the routine after the card is selected. Any deck, no marking,no setups.

Best,
"Vlad"
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5811 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 17, 2018, DanielChard wrote:
My humble offering to the biddle plot, (which remains as one of my favourite card effects) is called ‘Fiddle With Biddle’ published on my debut dvd ‘Chardshark’ published with RSVP Magic.

Performance can be seen in this video from 2 mins 30 seconds, onwards.

https://youtu.be/tn9X3rLILIA

Nicely executed Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
The plot thickens! Vlad, any chance you're teasing us? To be honest, I don't know enough about card handling to even understand the signficance of letting the spectator shuffle and then not having to go thru the deck face up! Nevertheless, I'm consumed with curiosity.

Nice to hear from you, by the way. I've been working on the HL cut with the help of your advice. As soon as I have time, I'll post a new video: I'm curious to hear from you whether I'm moving in the right direction. I think I have it now, but of course one can never be too careful. Smile

To Daniel Chard: I enjoyed your video. You're very personable. I don't have the expertise to know for myself whether your Fiddle with Biddle was "nicely executed," but I trust Vlad. I liked the casual way you xxxyyyzzz oops, I got censored there -- by myself. Let me try again: I liked the casual way you performed the crucial move near the end. (Am I in a punchy mood tonight? Not at all!)

To MSaber: I'm looking forward to watching David Blaine.

Thanks, everybody,

Bob
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2713 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 17, 2018, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2018, warren wrote:

I allow the spectator to shuffle the deck and I do NOT have to look through the deck to get ready for the routine after the card is selected. Any deck, no marking,no setups.

Best,
"Vlad"

Neither do I Vlad as a c ***p works just as well ;-) however in the clip shown the performer most definitely had to go through the deck to locate the chosen card which is never a good thing in my opinion.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
DanielChard, I enjoyed watching that, and particularly liked how you put the joker face up in the middle of the five cards before vanishing it. I've played with not revealing the chosen card after it vanishes, and I think that that actually leads to a more memorable effect. It plays kinda like the end of some movies, "What? That was it... wait. What? It's over?!"

I used to be sensitive to criticism, but I am not really sensitive to it any more. Please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

DanielChard
View Profile
New user
Bristol, United Kingdom
13 Posts

Profile of DanielChard
Quote:
On May 19, 2018, shaunluttin wrote:
DanielChard, I enjoyed watching that, and particularly liked how you put the joker face up in the middle of the five cards before vanishing it. I've played with not revealing the chosen card after it vanishes, and I think that that actually leads to a more memorable effect. It plays kinda like the end of some movies, "What? That was it... wait. What? It's over?!"

Thanks for your kind words! Smile yes, that’s my addition to the plot and some psychology in the handling which makes it a powerhouse Smile it was actually the card trick that got me into magic. And it blows people away. It’s the perfect card trick!
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm continuing to think about a faux Sherlock Holmes story to go with the Biddle Trick. I have some fragments and am having trouble putting them together. Maybe someone has additional ideas?

1. Spectator chooses a card (probably forced, for reasons I explain below, in #7).

2. A jewel has been stolen (for example), and a Scotland Yard detective (Lestrade??) has been assigned to the case. He scours London and brings in five suspects. (In Daryl's handling, in his encyclopedia, he pulls out five cards from various parts of the deck;, one of which is the selection. I think that goes very well with this story. The cards are the suspects, and the selection, of course is the burglar.)

3. Holmes and Watson get involved somehow -- I need to reread the stories, which I have read many times, but long ago -- to decide how.

4. Lestrade shows H. and W. the five suspects. If the deck represents London, then half the deck represents jail, or Scotland Yard, or wherever the suspects are being held.

5. Possibly in conflict with #4, I like the idea of a spectator being the jailer, and holding on to the 5 (?) suspects.

6. Holmes and Watson, for reasons that are as yet unclear to me, are walking along somewhere; Holmes is deep in thought and misses an important clue, but Watson picks up on it: a footprint. (This actually happened in one of the stories -- I forget which one. I figure Conan Doyle had lots of readers begging him to let Watson have a minor triumph for once!)

7. About that footprint: I had the very good fortune to find some cards shaped like feet. I'd like Watson to discover the foot-card that corresponds to the ordinary card that the spectator selected. That should be (I hope) a real surprise; a novel, whimsical way to reveal who the real culprit is.

8. Lestrade discovers that the culprit has escaped from jail. (The spectator is found to be holding only holding four cards.)

9. Culprit is "lost in the crowd," as fonda57 suggested.

10. After Watson discovered the footprint, Holmes figures out the whole story of what happened, and later catches sight of the burglar (when the deck is spread to reveal the face-up selection), and recovers the jewel. He tells Lestrade he doesn't know who the burglar was. (Burglar has our sympathy, as in several of the stories, and Holmes lets the culprit escape.) I'm actually not sure about this part: the story shouldn't go on much longer than the final magical surprise.

11. I like this idea of fonda57's; not sure how it fits with the above:

"Adding to your story, try it this way--Instead of putting the packets together after the Biddle count, put one next to the other.Cause the card to vanish from the 5(!) cards, and go into a triumph, cause you are already set for a tenkai optical revolve.

Story--the suspect got lost in the crowd..."

So there we are. Being beyond the level of a beginner in magic, but certainly not yet intermediate, I don't want to do much more in the way of sleights than what the Biddle trick usually requires. On the other hand, I'm really excited about this embryonic story, so I'm happy to learn sleights to make this possible -- just not really hard ones. (A man has the right to contradict himself, no?)

I hope that I'll find a way to fit all this together. If I had more experience with magic, I might eventually see just what to do, but I'm feeling a bit stuck at the moment. If anyone has ideas that might help the story (and the handling) coalesce, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, everybody!

Bob
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1231 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I've mainly used Daryl's handling in "Biddled Across" in doing the trick; but I really like the idea of stand-up (with an excuse to put the half deck in the spectator's hand). Yes, a nice job Daniel! More to the clip than just doing the trick! Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Biddle Trick -- videos of effective performances? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL