The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Encyclopedia of Card Principles? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Is there a DVD series or a book kind of like an Encylopedia of Card Principles? Like there is Encyclopedia of Card Sleights of for the sleights category?
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1374 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There isn’t one. But if you study “Card Concepts” by Arthur MacTier, that would be a good place to start. Also, Stewart James, Phil Goldstein, Eddie Joseph, Nick Trost, Martin Gardner, Norman Gilbreath, etc.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
571 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
There is a great book called, "The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" by Glenn Gravatt and Jean Hugard --- is this what you mean? If so, available in paperback on Amazon. Back in the day (the 1920s or 30s), this book used to sell for $100! Lot of good material in it; you won't like or use all of it, but you will likely find quite a bit that's useful.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Like Ben said, there is not.
No one has made the same effort as Sharpe with his Principles series for card magic.
I would not recommend Card Concept because it’s only maths principles and very simple ones everybody can conceptualize. I was so disappointed by this book.
The task has yet to be tackled, maybe by you love key ?
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of jcroop
What about Card College. Part sleights, part principles, part where they intersect.

But, I agree, probably not exactly what the op is looking for.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’ve mulled over this question in the past. I have a personal system to categorize and classify the so many principles, sleights, subtleties I’m encountering in books, dvds, magazines… But as philosophical system, it has his limitations, pros and cons. I think each magician should conceive his own system, the one which will work for him.
Moreover, it is very time consuming. It’s very useful because you have to think in terms of concepts and applications, you have to extract the different principles from a trick and try to generalize them. Sometimes it’s difficult, and at times, impossible because things are so intricately linked.
So in a creative perspective, it is one of the best ways to work.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1267 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Arthur Buckley's excellent Principles and Deceptions might give you some answers, though it treats more than cards.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1100 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Seriously, does no one look at Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive??!

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/tree

Look at Cards -> Principles
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Seriously, does no one look at Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive??!

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/tree

Look at Cards -> Principles

I was going to mention the same, Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive is an AMAZING resource!
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Dénis Benr’s Is a wonderful resource, but it is in no ways a conceptualization of magic. But a good start for it for sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Encyclopedia of Card Principles? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL