The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Weekly gig at restaurant, regular gig at same date, what do you do? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Hi guys,

I work at a restaurant every Wednesday. It's the only day that I can work there and it's a really great and important venue for me which generates a lot of gigs. The problem now is, that I start to get more regular gigs on Wednesdays. I don't want to lose the venue, but the of course want some regularity for their guest. Any ideas what I could offer them or how I should handle regular bookings on those days? Of course a regular booking pays a lot more, so not doing them would be a huge mistake.

Thanks for your help!
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hi Rick,
As a fellow restaurant worker I feel your pain. Your Wednesday restaurant gig is obviously important and the source for possible
outside work. Wednesdays, for me, aren't popular for private shows rather Friday or the weekends. I would keep the restaurant gig and possibly see if you can change the day for your other bookings.....or... book your gigs at a different time so as not to interfere with your restaurant..... I have turned down bookings that coincided with my restaurants. My restaurants provide steady
income year after year. I do take vacations and don't perform but they are OK with that. I guess you have to decide and weigh the pros and cons.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Ask the restaurant if they prefer you to get a substitute rather than not have someone. I used to have a few places that I shared with 2 other entertainers - we took turns each week. It worked out well cause the regular customers had variety.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
If you do get a substitute make sure it’s the best and most professional that you can find. Remember that it will all reflect on you.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
They don’t want anybody else. Btw thanks for your answers so far
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I'd would be as loyal as possible to the restaurant. The pay may be lower but total up for the whole year how much you make at that one venue (pay and tips) then add to it all the gigs (not on a Wednesday night) that you've gotten because if this gig. When you look at that figure you probably won't feel so frustrated about turning down an occasional Wednesday night gig.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
What I do is charge a premium price if someone wants me on a night I am booked at a restaurant. That way it doesn't happen very often. I have a few yearly well paying jobs that I do for the University that I've been doing longer than the restaurants. The restaurants seem to understand and they do not want me to supply a substitute.

I let the customers know I am there almost every week but to phone or email me if they are making a special trip and want to ensure I will be there.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2018, Ken Northridge wrote:
I'd would be as loyal as possible to the restaurant. The pay may be lower but total up for the whole year how much you make at that one venue (pay and tips) then add to it all the gigs (not on a Wednesday night) that you've gotten because if this gig. When you look at that figure you probably won't feel so frustrated about turning down an occasional Wednesday night gig.

I talked to the management and agreed to keep the wednesday gig exclusive. It's true, the money I made in the last year that I've worked with them is a lot more than the occasional regular gig on the same day. Thanks for your help guys!
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
I agree with Ken. Keep the restaurant gig as the priority. The steady work is important, and the restaurant work should lead you to other gigs.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Have an arrangement/agreement with venue that if you get a bigger paying gig you will have a replacement.

Magicians do this all the time.

But as a Magician friend of mine told me:

Have someone replace you that is not as good as your are.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh my that is totally the opposite of what I would do. Why would you send a sub standard replacement?

If the relationship is so faulty that a guy who is a better magician working once in a while is a danger that is an issue I would address.

Plus he also said they don't want someone else.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I would NEVER send someone to sub for me for one reason...and it's likely not the reasons you'd think.

People come to my restaurants for one reason. Ok, so that reason is to eat. So, people come to my restaurants for 2 reasons. To eat and to see Christopher Lyle. They don't come to see the magician. They come to see ME! I don't care how good or professional anyone is. They cannot be me no matter how hard they try, anymore than I can be Rick Dangerous or Danny Doyle (miss ya brother), etc.

Next week, I celebrate 11 years with my restaurant that employees me Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday Nights over several different locations. Over that time, I have made some wonderful relationships with my customers. Many don't even care to see me perform anymore. They just like coming in and watching me entertain others, we chit chat, they tip me, and hit the road. They just enjoy seeing me entertain the kids and it gives them fond memories of when I would entertain their ow children when they were younger.

A sub wouldn't have the same relationship with my customers would they?

I book a restaurant for $75 per hour which is far less than my standard hourly rate. The reason I perform in restaurants, as I would assume we all do, is so we can be paid to market ourselves and get booked the at our FULL rate.

When I book a restaurant, I give them a choice between two pricing options:

OPTION 1 - they pay my $75 per hour that I'm at the restaurant. Since I'm there to market myself to get work at my full rate, if a conflict occurs that prevents me from being at the restaurant, then they will book the other event and not be at the restaurant. Basically, my act will be dark that night.

OPTION 2 - they pay me my full fee of $300.00 per hour and I am EXCLUSIVE only to them. Meaning if I get another call that would conflict with my restaurant schedule, then I will turn it down and work my restaurant shift as I usually do.

Now...take a guess how many restaurants have EVER gone for Option 2?

Food for thought...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody can be you.

Not wanting to be interchangeable.

Seems like a guy wearing a yellow suit talking!!!!

Christopher that is really a good stance. They are not hiring a "magician" they are hiring you. This INCREASES your value tremendously. It is how ever relationship I have works with the client.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:

Seems like a guy wearing a yellow suit talking!!!!

Just thought I'd pop in for a moment. I'll be back in a year or two. Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But I MISS YOU!!!

But you are right. SO many want to be interchangeable that it makes them look less valuable.

I never used a sub, but I did tell the establishment that I would give them proper notice if I would not be there. It was a better fit for me. May not be for everyone, but in my case it was a better fit. It REALLY helped when I was on an island, when there were actually painfully sparse replacement choices.

It comes to simply defining terms when you start. I made certain I gave them more than 2 weeks notice if I would not be there a certain night. This was plenty. They had hired me, not a "magician". If that is not the deal you make when you start then you have to go with what you have agreed to.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
While I would never intentionally send a replacement in that is 'not as good as me,' I have had situations when sending in a replacement was necessary. I have, in fact, sent replacements in knowing that they ARE better than me. (What makes a magician 'better' is subjective, but that is a different subject). Still, so much of success is relationship. Whether they are better than me or not, my regular customers, and management, are always happy when I return. Not because I am any 'better' but because of our history, because of our relationship.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2018, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I would NEVER send someone to sub for me for one reason...and it's likely not the reasons you'd think.

People come to my restaurants for one reason. Ok, so that reason is to eat. So, people come to my restaurants for 2 reasons. To eat and to see Christopher Lyle. They don't come to see the magician. They come to see ME! I don't care how good or professional anyone is. They cannot be me no matter how hard they try, anymore than I can be Rick Dangerous or Danny Doyle (miss ya brother), etc.

Next week, I celebrate 11 years with my restaurant that employees me Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday Nights over several different locations. Over that time, I have made some wonderful relationships with my customers. Many don't even care to see me perform anymore. They just like coming in and watching me entertain others, we chit chat, they tip me, and hit the road. They just enjoy seeing me entertain the kids and it gives them fond memories of when I would entertain their ow children when they were younger.

A sub wouldn't have the same relationship with my customers would they?

I book a restaurant for $75 per hour which is far less than my standard hourly rate. The reason I perform in restaurants, as I would assume we all do, is so we can be paid to market ourselves and get booked the at our FULL rate.

When I book a restaurant, I give them a choice between two pricing options:

OPTION 1 - they pay my $75 per hour that I'm at the restaurant. Since I'm there to market myself to get work at my full rate, if a conflict occurs that prevents me from being at the restaurant, then they will book the other event and not be at the restaurant. Basically, my act will be dark that night.

OPTION 2 - they pay me my full fee of $300.00 per hour and I am EXCLUSIVE only to them. Meaning if I get another call that would conflict with my restaurant schedule, then I will turn it down and work my restaurant shift as I usually do.

Now...take a guess how many restaurants have EVER gone for Option 2?

Food for thought...

That is great advice. I like your approach. Thanks for taking time out to help the rookies around here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Weekly gig at restaurant, regular gig at same date, what do you do? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL