The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » INKLING by Abdullah Mahmoud and Shin Lim Presents (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@tophatter Reminds me of black electrical tape.

He would have been better off if that's what he had used - it would save you a step - and one less thing to use

@Quade Walker Oh wow, I just this second saw some of the instructions and you will not believe it! It instructs you to SUPER GLUE the gimmick to your bare arm! In 2 places!

Yes, he does - but that's why SHIN LIM steps into the instructions - he kinda breaks the tutorial and says "wait wait wait, if you don't want to super glue your arm...."
and then he chimes in with his thoughts.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, DavidKenney wrote:

Yes, he does - but that's why SHIN LIM steps into the instructions - he kinda breaks the tutorial and says "wait wait wait, if you don't want to super glue your arm...."
and then he chimes in with his thoughts.

Yep. There’s no need to use that method. Shin teaches an alternative and (in my opinion) better set up in the tutorial video.

Best wishes
Dominic
Quade Walker
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Quade Walker
Dominic, would you ever set this up and use it at a gig?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2018, Quade Walker wrote:

I’ve got an inkling he wouldn’t.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2018, Quade Walker wrote:

Hi Quade

Yes, I can see a place for this for specific work.. I don't think it's a strolling/walk-around effect though. Definitely valuable for creating effects with companies logos. Perhaps an effect to do with a venues logo when pitching for a meeting with the events manager… If you are cold calling a business, It could be a lovely way to get attention by attaching a very short video of this effect using their brand logo..

What residencies do you have? Could they use this for their own social media? Lots of ways to add value here for a client.
Do you do wedding exhibitions that have a show/catwalk through the day? Perhaps during your showcase performance, you could make two wedding rings link using this principle..?

You know, not every effect needs to be table hopper material to be useful.. just like not every effect needs to come with loads of physical material to be valuable.

Hope this helps you
Dominic
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Company logos is a good idea. I know for a fact Screwfix sell electrical tape. Not a bad start.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
And grip-ties Keith..?

All those moaning about what you actually receive, who cares? The question you should be addressing is does what you receive allow you to perform the trick as shown.

Magicians are SO hung up on the perceived value of the physical items you receive they so often forget about the value of the effect you are creating.
Kaan
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Kaan
Hi everyone,

here is my review of Inkling by Abdullah Mahmoud.

Hope it helps Smile

Best,
Kaan
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
With Egyptian Ink and now Inkling, Abdullah Mahmoud may want to stay away from ink related effects in any future releases because his track record so far is pretty dismal.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks for confirming Kaan.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Kaan, it's a fair review. I'm disappointed for what I paid for. It is a neat idea in theory but not as a worker.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
The fact that Kaan can't perform it on video for fear of exposing it says it all.

Jeez, you'd think they'd have a practice run through of the explanation before filming it. Based on Kaan's review, I reckon they had the idea for the trick and threw this project together in a day.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Thanks Kaan, had Egyptian Ink and that was a dud. Love the line "you get enough to make the gimmick, probably for a lifetime, since you won't ever use it" LMAO!!!
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
It's easy to earn money with magic these days.

Be friend with Shin Lim and ask him for editing advice, put his name on the product, people will buy it.

Sorry, from the first day of the duplicate signature scandal, I don't trust this guy. And this time he proves me right somehow again.

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, alexhui wrote:

Be friend with Shin Lim and ask him for editing advice, put his name on the product, people will buy it.

Sorry, from the first day of the duplicate signature scandal, I don't trust this guy. And this time he proves me right somehow again.

Alex Hui

That’s strange because if I see a product with his name on it I steer very clear. Soon everyone else will too. Like sans minds, you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, alexhui wrote:

Alex Hui

That’s strange because if I see a product with his name on it I steer very clear. Soon everyone else will too. Like sans minds, you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.

"I steer very clear" don't know if that was intentional or not.

Sleepy
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
77 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
Crazy glue the gimmick to your arm. Some Magis go to great lengths for an effect these days. Actually, they have been going to great lengths since the beginning of time. Blaine practiced controlled regurgitation for his frog production. (No frogs were killed or injured....etc., etc.) This reminds me of something I wanted to use as my signature stage effect with the French Guillotine. The lovely assistant puts her head into the Guillotine, the blade drops, but ooops...a rather bloody malfunction. However, not to worry, there is a doctor in the house, the very magician himself. (The fact that my training was in internal medicine and not vascular surgery is not relevant.) This is where the I do my signature effect, the cut and restored head. It really is a great effect and I am not talking about video editing....it is the real deal...blood spurting out of the carotids with each heartbeat. The problem I encountered is that the head restoration is kind of a hit or miss thing. It is just not reliable. As a consequence, word got out and it became exceedingly difficult for me to get those lovely little assistants to work for me.

What I find interesting is that I am sure that more than one of you at first thought I just might be serious about my signature cut and restored head effect just as we want to believe in just about every new miracle sent our way, despite the fact that something in us tells us that it is just another one of those made for video try and sell this one dud effects. Why is this?

The reason is simple. Despite the fact that we are rational grownups, it is that childlike fascination with being able to do the impossible, or at the least make it look that way, that motivated us to get into magic in the first place. One would think that as magi who know the drill, have been there and got that tee shirt we would be immune to this sort of thing. However, it is just because of we are these childlike magi that want to believe that makes us the biggest potential suckers out there. Please, note the important qualifying word....potential. Every time I encounter a new effect that seems too good to be true, I come here to see what others think. More often than not, just like in other aspects of life, if it is too good to be true, it most likely is.

This brings me to this. I must say that unlike the days before the Internet when the only way I purchased an effect was either having seen it in a live demonstration or buying the parts, making it myself after reading about it from a reliable written source, magic has become something it wasn't. In the old days, there were not so many duds. Sure, you might have that, I paid for this!!! thought after learning the secret of an effect but it was not because it was an unuseable dud but because it turned out to be so simple you thought you should have figured it out. However, you were not upset because that is what we were paying for, to learn the secret of an effect that we could not figure out.

Nobody, and in particular we magi, do not like to be had. More and more I think this is true if an effect looks too good to be true, it probably is going to be a dud. Invariably, the advertising video will be one of these production deals with crazy cutting meant to distract us from being rational. I would love to see a mass boycott of any effect that has such videos. There is absolutely no reason that an effect cannot be advertised with a simple demo. The video should be shot in the manner commensurate with how the effect is going to be done (for the most part.) If it is stage effect, show us the effect from the audience perspective. If it is intimate close up, shoot it in that manner, walk around, street...etc.

If we as a community were smart, we could start right here by not allowing any of these videos to be associated with the site....no embeds....no links. Boycott them. We are consumers just like any other and I think we do have the power to have an impact on those who essentially want to hustle us and take our money.
Mosey_D
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
7 Posts

Profile of Mosey_D
I was curious about this product, and bought it. Having bought it, watched the instructions and reflected on if/how it could be used, I have decided I probably won't (ever) use this. I think some people might like this, but I don't feel it is convincing enough for me to use. However, other people may love it and use it a lot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » INKLING by Abdullah Mahmoud and Shin Lim Presents (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL