The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What's the name of this effect please ?? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keyser
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Keyser
Hello guys , today my brother was at a birthday party and he told me that a magician was there and performed an effect which seemed pretty strange to me . It's silk magic , if there is such effect I'll be thankful if you hand me the name or where I can find it . I'll just tell you what my bro told me as I wasn't there :
A magician made a silk routine then took a red silk for his finale and told a spectator to sign it he clearly puts the handkerchief with the signature on it on a clear plastic bag he then shove his hand on the bag with it and handed an elastic band to attach the ends of the bag to his wrist . and after a second the silk visually vanishes from the bag , he then remove the bag shows his hands empty and the silk reappears in a little box that was all the time in the table . he never touches it , he tells a kid to take the box , remove the cap , show the silk and the signature on it . if it exists then it's unbelievable !!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
People often describe an EFFECT that they saw a magician DO, to me. You must remember that an EFFECT is "what the spectator perceives"! (He probably is innocently describing what he THINKS he "saw"!! It may not be what actually happened.

Houdini once vanished an elephant on the stage of the Hippodrome Theater in Baltimore. The audience "saw" it happen! Magicians who saw Houdini DO it, laughed!

Magic is 5% sleight of hand skills, 5% perceptual illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, AND! EIGHTY-FIVE PER CENT P S Y C H O L O G Y!

I could give you a method, but, you must be "eligible" for the "SECRETS" forum. We don't discuss methods here.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Keyser
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Keyser
Hey Dick thanks for your reply , oh yeah that's what I supposed to , been in an argument with my bro for a long time , I told him that it's impossible you saw such thing and I described to him one of my performances on a party where a guy was so mind blown that he told my best friend that I was working with the djinns " I simply asked him to think of a name that his grandmother constantly called him with when he was a child " I performed a CT , he tells people he never wrote anything and yet I still read his mind . Didn't reveal the CT part to my bro ofc , I told him I pencil read him .

Oh I don't want any reaveals . I just want to know the name of the effect so that I can apply the signed transposition to card magic if it is possible .
BTW I'm new in the Café , what's the chamber of secrets ? and how you can be eligible for it ?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Keyser, keep posting good posts like the above, until you reach 50 posts, and secrets will appear magically for you.

As far as the trick, I can think of 2 possible ways to do that effect as described. There is an old coin and ring vanish using a handkerchief placed over the hand, and a rubber band placed around the wrist over the hanky, entrapping the coin/ring, and yet they vanish. I cannot see this done with a silk, unless the balling up of the silk was not in the description. I don't believe there is a name for this handkerchief around the hand vanish. I believe I read it years ago in an Eddie Joseph book by Supreme Magic (company now defunct}.

Sorry, but the secret is in the details, and our minds does not retain those details upon recalling what they saw.

This sounds like a home made effect, as it can be very evolved or as simple as a TT. Of course, magic is being created and marketed these days, every few minutes, so not saying it is not marketed, as it may be, but I have never ran across such an effect. It is just a silk transposition effect under seemingly impossible conditions. Noting that the silk was signed, I would lean toward the TT theory. So your friend is not remembering everything.
Keyser
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Keyser
Hi Bill , thanks for the info.
Oh yeah it's more logical if the silk was balled but the effect of the vanish was described to me as if it was pulled out really fast out of the plastic bag. I asked the host of the party for the magician's number , I'll keep you in touch if I get to know more about the effect .
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you are really looking for a card trick, it won't help you to learn how the silk trick works. You should move your question to the beginner's (New to Magic) section and ask for names of "signed cards to wallet" tricks available. I've got some on the Magic Nook site if you are ready to start making your own magic. For example, "Signed Card to Sealed Deck" is described in The Wizards' Journal #13; Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's " Signed Sit on It" is in The Wizards' Journal #16, "Wizards Wallet" is explained in The Wizards' Journal #20, "Signed, Sealed and Delivered" is in The Wizards' Journal #21, as is Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "No-Palm Signed Card to Card Box" in the same issue. For a change of pace, there is a signed "Coin to Sealed Candy Bag" described in The Wizards' Journal #24. If you ever do get into Silk Magic in a serious way, come back and I'll point out the location of some signed silk magic tricks. The signed silk tricks are not as popular because silks are generally more expensive to use up in that way... but once in a while if you find a cheap source of silks you don't mind having someone sign....
Keyser
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Keyser
Hello Jim Gerrish , thanks for your reply .
Well most of people don't know me here at the Café but I do well when it comes to mentalism or card magic . I know some effects of cards to impossible locations but the one I love is Mac King's card to shoe . The only knowledge I have on silks is Slydini's knotted silks that I didn't perform for a long time , used to do Bill Malone's pattern . I wanted to know the name of that effect because if such thing is possible I think it would apply to a lot of other kinds of magic . Shows signed silk / vanishes visually ( and I'm suspecting a kinda reel prop or a strong pull) / appears in a box that he didn't touch and wont touch . I haven't seen it and only hearing about it gave me that childish sensation of wonders , I think if I see it live I'll devour Rice's Encyclopedia of silk magic .
Keyser
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Keyser
Hey Folks I contacted the magician and he was kind enough to reveal the trick to me in exchange I tipped him a good ending for 6 card repeat . The magician's name is Frisk can be booked on Montpellier(France) , he has no personal website, I told him about the Café I think he'll join us soon. If anyone wants to know more about the effect I'll be happy to pm him the routine . Oh and Bill Hegbli you were right there is a balling up of the silk indeed . Wonderful what magic psychology reflects in the eyes of a spectator .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What's the name of this effect please ?? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL