The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 18 years of shows and still sweat - SOS ! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
I live in Miami and have been doing kid's shows for the past 18 years and I still sweat a lot especially if outside, when indoors sometimes do not as much but always happens. I've seen performers that do not sweat period and few that do. Any heard of sweat gland surgery ? I have high blood pressure at gym will sweat the most out of everyone , but also think it has something to do with the nerves, even after 18 years doing shows.

P.S I do bring sweat towels as well as a fan. (don't have any hair-shave it all due to bald spots..lol, use coat and top hat- like to look the part ..)

Thanks for any help

Jaime
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Have you spoken with several physicians to see what they might recommend?

Gerry
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Thanks Gerry - yes they prescribed me "Drysol" which does not work - I'm looking into Botox treatment or sweat gland operation.. but just wondering I'm sure there are those that do sweat and how they cope with it.

Jaime
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Wearing a coat and a hat in a hot, humid environment would cause anyone to sweat. I don't mean this as a criticism as I do the same thing myself. The hat especially causes me to get hot in the summer.

One thing too is the lack of hair as the perspiration is not trapped and can flow down in any direction from the top of the head. I found the key is to use fans to cool me down before, during and after the show.

The large (10 inch) O2 Cool (tm) fan is battery operated and portable. I move it around as I'm setting up and use a Dyson Air Multiplier during the performance. These are really great and they're remote controlled so it can be pointed in any direction while you're onstage. I've also learned to take off my hat at least once during the show use a handkerchief on my face to absorb the moisture. The combination of the Dyson and O2 fan works well to keep my temperature down.
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Steve you are the man with The Master Plan!!!! that's the kind of tips I'm looking for - afraid of surgery as don't want to interfere own body and I am sure there are many of us who do sweat.

Jaime
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3547 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There are ice packs available for these situations. Picture a vest with slots for cool pops sewn in. My Dad used to keep an ice pack in a washcloth in the freezer until time to mow the lawn. He would put the pack under his work hat. He said it worked very well. (Talk about brain freeze.) Always put some cloth between you and the ice. Hand fans are a great help before the show. Incorporate the handkerchief in your set like"whew glad that worked"... wipe, so it is not too distracting but gets the job done.

Wearing a coat and Top Hat is not the only way to come off as Magical. Realize that you are probably impressive after all your experience and choose a cooler outfit.

Spectators respond negatively to seeing performers in such obvious discomfort. If you ditch the coat and Top Hat for more comfort it may be a wash in the end as far as how magically you come off to the spectators but you will be more comfortable.

You definitely should imagine yourself performing for happy gracious audiences and succeeding wonderfully. Picture yourself like unto a Grandma offering warm cookies to your audiences. You are offering Wonder which is a beautiful gift. Imagine yourself loving your audience like family and you will know that they are not trying to catch you but are all pulling for you. I'm not kidding on this, it really helps with nerves. Breathe deeply before starting.

Best of luck.

-Mary Mowder
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
I ditched the coat years ago after realizing what a sweaty mess it was making me. I do school shows, and humid hot gyms with little circulation can make you melt into a puddle quickly. You can be dripping sweat before the show even starts, always trying not to raise your arms and expose drenched armpits. A hat will just keep the heat in, too. Losing the coat helped me a lot, and I thought it wasn’t worth the sweaty look. On rare occasions I’ll wear long sleeve shirts, rolled up to the elbows, but usually it’s short sleeves. The look may not be as nice, but the more comfortable I became, the more comfortable it was to do the show. Still wearing a tie, but the top shirt button is undone and slightly held together by it. That’s a style I’ve seen anyway. A small fan is on the floor, aimed at the area where I stand the most. A friend of mine uses towels that have pockets for ice packs, using them to cool off before and after a show.
Or, you could be like Whitney Houston and have a partner come out and dab the sweat away from your face and brow in between things LOL.
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Mary Mowder such a beautiful message and, o2b2b2 thank you as well...definitely think it has to do with nerves as well as my hypertension but they say its sometimes good as those make you be on top of all, all this help is extremely appreciated.

Jaime Arana Cardenas - JAC ...MagicJac! Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2533 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
To add to what Mary said. They make Cooling Towels for runners and sports people.
One is called Chill Pad and the ads claim they work for hours.
There are other brand names too and it may be something to look into.

Tom
A habit is a habit until you realize you doing it, then it is a choice.

The NEW Daycare Magician Book
https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Awesome Tom, this is reason why I love this place, you guys are all so helpful, seems we have magic in our souls Smile

Jaime Arana Cardenas - JAC ...MagicJac!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
23751 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13196 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Since you go to the gym I'm guessing you're in descent shape?
If not, consider increasing your fitness?

For kids shows and for any shows where I'm outside and it's going to be hot,
I wear a very very lightweight white shirt and a lightweight vest.

I get these from tux shops for very reasonable prices and they are very comfortable.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1904 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
You can get injections for hypocondriasis (extra sweatiness). Don't ask me how I know this, just speak to a dermatologist and get your armpits injected. Works a treat. Smile
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
All this tips are great - do use fans and swat towels and the only one thing I do say sometimes is "im not sweating this is just my Niagara falls impression" - with that said doctor prescribed a cream to put on my bald head but it does not work - so looking into Botox anyone ever tried Botox for head sweat ?
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
461 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Move to Alaska
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1764 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
For a number of years, I wore a sweat headband to stop sweat from my bald head falling into my eyes. I now wear a hat. Unfortunately the hat cannot be washed (as its made from wool) so gets replaced usually once a year.

I also wear a black t-shirt under my show shirt for every show. This is to stop sweat patches under the armpits which look really bad.

I don't wear a jacket.

I also usually drink 500ml of liquid throughout a one-hour show (or 2 cans). This is for the throat but probably reduces sweating as well. I prefer Pepsi Max, but any soda will do. Plain water just makes me more thirsty and doesn't work as well as soda (for me). I know other people have their own remedies - its about finding what works for you.
Marketing Magic - 723pg book & DVD, Everything I know about being a Children's Entertainer - 363pg book.
http://www.amazingstephen.co.uk/shop-dvds.html
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
332 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
The answer to stop underarm sweating is simple.

First, understand the difference between Antiperspirant spray and Deodorant spray.

1) At night, just before getting into bed, spray a good quality, unscented, Antiperspirant under your armpits.
Aluminium chlorohydrate and aluminium-zirconium tetrachlorohydrate gly are the most frequent active ingredients in commercial antiperspirants.
Either of these chemicals completely block the sweat glands.

2) Have a vigorous shower in the morning in the usual way. Don't worry about washing the Antiperspirant away - it's already done its job.

3) Now, if you wish, spray a tiny amount of deodorant under your armpits. (Personally I don't as it makes you smell like a cheap tart!)

You only need to apply Antiperspirant every two or three nights.

Avoid the cheap stuff; moreover, avoid the stuff that combines Antiperspirant and Deodorant in the same can.

Hope that helps!
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 18 years of shows and still sweat - SOS ! (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL